Four Star Recruit

Re: Poor Washington.

Post by rsbgduck »

Worst breakup speech ever.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Offensive Coordinator Ryan Grubb posted a long caps-lock message on Twitter to say he won't be the next head coach even though he wanted to be. So expect an announcement of who it is tomorrow.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

StevensTechU wrote:Offensive Coordinator Ryan Grubb posted a long caps-lock message on Twitter to say he won't be the next head coach even though he wanted to be. So expect an announcement of who it is tomorrow.
Grubb to Alabama? Looks like it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -join-tide
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I’d expect Bama to try to keep Reese in an effort to keep the team together. Assuming Grubb would be option 1B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

From what I can gather, sounds like Kliff Kingsbury or Pete Carroll as a band-aid might be the options with Matt Campbell on the outside.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

whosyourwally wrote:I’d expect Bama to try to keep Reese in an effort to keep the team together. Assuming Grubb would be option 1B.

There's no chance Rees is 1A over Grubb. Grubb is the better OC by a country mile, and he has a long running relationship with DeBoer.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Poor Washington.

Post by lmduck »

Where are you gathering this info from?

Wondering why Carroll would go back to college when he likely has NFL options?

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Looking at the current Bama staff vs. the UW staff, I think the current Bama coaches that would be the most likely for them to keep would be DL coach Freddie Roach and OL coach Eric Wolford if those guys want to stay. Those are the positions where it looks like DeBoer didn't work with his current coaches prior to taking the job at UW.

So far, Grubb and Shephard are expected to head to Bama. I would bet Morrell and Inge are locks as well. Nick Sheridan (TE), Lee Marks (RB), Eric Schmidt (DE/ST) and Julius Brown (CB) look like they are guys who followed DeBoer from Fresno State so it will be interesting to see if they end up going too.

Bama has already lost these coaches:
-AHC/WR coach Holmon Wiggins to Texas ATM
-DC Kevin Steele to retirement
-OLB/ST Coleman Hutzler to Mississippi State
-CB Travaris Robinson to Georgia

If I were the AD, this is probably what I would have targeted for a coach and staff to rebuild, maintain the culture, and keep the fan base happy:
HC- Pete Kwiatkowski (Texas DC)
Co-OC/QB- Marques Tuiasosopo (OC Rice)
RB- Keith Bhonapha (RB Michigan St)
Co-OC/WR- Brent Pease (OC Montana)
OL-Scott Huff (current OL coach)
TE- Jordan Paopao (Arizona TE)
DC/LB- Bob Gregory (Stanford S/ST)
DL- Inoke Breckterfield (current DL coach)
OLB- Cort Dennison (Defensive QC Utah)
Co-DC/S- Marcel Yates (S/PCG Texas Tech)
CB- Charles Clark (AHB/DB Memphis)
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lmduck wrote:Where are you gathering this info from?

:D Carrol going to UW or even another nfl team. No one wants a 72 yo coach who hasn’t put together a top 15 d in 5 years. I liked Pete at Seattle, but he lost his mojo years ago. If UW hires him, I would laugh so hard. He won’t last 4 years, and he will find out Seattle isn’t LA. He can’t just stockpile top talent with UW lack of NIL funds.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Just perusing dawgpound and the reasons for it are more about his ability to be a stop-gap and recruit a new roster and that he's got a young son whose been involved on his coaching staff for a while now. Pete's been vocal about how he was essentially forced out as HC and if he coaches 1 more year in College he'll apparently be eligible for the CFB HOF.

I think the poodles are far more likely than a single NFL team going after him.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:

:D Carrol going to UW or even another nfl team. No one wants a 72 yo coach who hasn’t put together a top 15 d in 5 years. I liked Pete at Seattle, but he lost his mojo years ago. If UW hires him, I would laugh so hard. He won’t last 4 years, and he will find out Seattle isn’t LA. He can’t just stockpile top talent with UW lack of NIL funds.
I don't disagree with this and that's why I was asking where the data points were coming from. I didn't make my point as well as I could have.

Carroll would not be a good hire and right now they don't have a lot of options unless they go after Kingsbury or a coordinator from a big program.

The other issue is the UW AD is in a financial mess and their football resources and infrastructure for recruiting are a disaster.

The most strategic hire Dan Lanning made when he got the job was Marshall Malchow. UW has nothing even close.

Will be interesting to see who they hire. Whoever it is has a monumental task in front of him.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote: :D Carrol going to UW or even another nfl team. No one wants a 72 yo coach who hasn’t put together a top 15 d in 5 years. I liked Pete at Seattle, but he lost his mojo years ago. If UW hires him, I would laugh so hard. He won’t last 4 years, and he will find out Seattle isn’t LA. He can’t just stockpile top talent with UW lack of NIL funds.
I think its quite likely they view him only as a temporary hire and one advantage he might bring is to go after the alumni in the region to help with the NIL cause. I also think Pete could be a "cheap" hire for them in that while we go into the B1G with a favorable financial standing for our entire AD, that isn't true for the poodles who probably need to put most of that 12M into their stadium payments.

Apparently we should find out soon though.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote: The most strategic hire Dan Lanning made when he got the job was Marshall Malchow. UW has nothing even close.

Will be interesting to see who they hire. Whoever it is has a monumental task in front of him.
Apparently they did have someone and he was the last guy off the plane with DeBoer, lol.

Also I should have added that the AD and Carroll were seen dining together and some have speculated it was about Jedd Fisch having worked for Pete but could also be about Pete saying he still wants to Coach.

If you're Pete Carroll and you want to coach, what other situation is more favorable for you? He could very well be angling for the job IF he still wants to coach for that very reason that where else is he going to go that still remains high profile?
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Duck07 wrote:
lmduck wrote: The most strategic hire Dan Lanning made when he got the job was Marshall Malchow. UW has nothing even close.

Apparently they did have someone and he was the last guy off the plane with DeBoer, lol.

Also I should have added that the AD and Carroll were seen dining together and some have speculated it was about Jedd Fisch having worked for Pete but could also be about Pete saying he still wants to Coach.

If you're Pete Carroll and you want to coach, what other situation is more favorable for you? He could very well be angling for the job IF he still wants to coach for that very reason that where else is he going to go that still remains high profile?
Does Fisch really want a situation that is a complete rebuild? He's in a pretty good position in terms of the Big 12 and has a very good roster right now.

The conventional wisdom is he stays put for another year and waits for the Florida job to open. Napier's seat is very hot and many think if he doesn't turn it around big time next year he's gone and Fisch would be the guy.

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

lmduck wrote:Does Fisch really want a situation that is a complete rebuild? He's in a pretty good position in terms of the Big 12 and has a very good roster right now.

The conventional wisdom is he stays put for another year and waits for the Florida job to open. Napier's seat is very hot and many think if he doesn't turn it around big time next year he's gone and Fisch would be the guy.
I don't think it's a better situation knowing you still have to bring more players in vs what you've got in Tuscon.

Reportedly Fisch has agreed to an extension with UA, (who is in a worse financial spot that UW) but the Regents haven't met to approve it yet.