Life after Phil?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Life after Phil?

Post by Alan »

From time to time I think about what happens to Oregon after Phil and probably Penny passes, Phil is currently 85. Phil and Penny have been so instrumental in putting U of O where they are today. I know nobody truly knows or maybe someone has some insight. Does Phil and Penny’s inheritors continue the support? Does Nike executives continue the support or do they funnel the money elsewhere? Just curious on others opinion and thoughts.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Life after Phil?

Post by pezsez1 »

Zero real knowledge, but I'd be shocked if Uncle Phil didn't already have something in place to make sure the Ducks would be taken care of.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Shhh. Just keep riding this high.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

there is talk of a massive Athletics and Academics endowment but that's just speculation based on his previous contributions.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

spacefrog13x wrote:there is talk of a massive Athletics and Academics endowment but that's just speculation based on his previous contributions.
Between Oregon Stanford and OHSU
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

pezsez1 wrote:Zero real knowledge, but I'd be shocked if Uncle Phil didn't already have something in place to make sure the Ducks would be taken care of.
This

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I’d be surprised if Oregon still gets preferential treatment at Nike 10 years after Phil’s passing. It might last for a few years, but eventually some exec is going to decide that the partnership benefits Oregon much more than it benefits Nike, which is likely true.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I’d be surprised if Oregon still gets preferential treatment at Nike 10 years after Phil’s passing. It might last for a few years, but eventually some exec is going to decide that the partnership benefits Oregon much more than it benefits Nike, which is likely true.
It's all been spelled out already and according to people with direct knowledge very little changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I’d be surprised if Oregon still gets preferential treatment at Nike 10 years after Phil’s passing. It might last for a few years, but eventually some exec is going to decide that the partnership benefits Oregon much more than it benefits Nike, which is likely true.
For someone who has invested so much into the school, I doubt Phil would let someone steer away from assisting it just 10 years after his death.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Most likely a trust has been set up with instructions. It would have zero to do with what a Nike board will want to allocate. The family and the trust will be in motion at that point, or whomever is the trustee(s).