OregonFan4Life
All-American

CB Coach Demetrice Martin leaving for Michigan State

Post by OregonFan4Life »

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: CB Coach Demetrice Martin leaving for Michigan State

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

That sucks. I guess we have a clearer idea of why his son went into the portal.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

My first thought was that this was weird as MSU is clearly a step down... not even a lateral move. If he wanted more money, I'm sure he could have gotten it here. Was he unhappy at Oregon or was he pushed out?

THEN it came to me. It took me 10 minutes, but I figured out what's going on. Meat was shown the door because Nick Saban really wants to get back to his true passion - coaching DBs.

I know. I'm a genius for putting it together so quickly. Welcome coach Nick!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Spartans are his alma mater.

Tough loss for us, he's generated some big time CBs here in his short stint.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Yeah, I get the sense this has been in the works for a bit. Sounds like Rashad Wadood is already doing the job, and one of the principle guys recruiting Jabbar Muhammad. I wonder if anyone will leave over this, besides Coach Martin's son.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

Phalanx wrote:Yeah, I get the sense this has been in the works for a bit. Sounds like Rashad Wadood is already doing the job, and one of the principle guys recruiting Jabbar Muhammad. I wonder if anyone will leave over this, besides Coach Martin's son.
Maybe Wadood gets promoted and is mentored by Hampton and then Dan gets a young guy that can grow and develop into the role so when the next one moves on that guy would be ready.

Please don't read that as me saying Martin is old because that's not the implication at all.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Crap. This is a tough loss. Meat does a great job of both player acquisition and player development at a position where we see a lot of coaches really only good at one.

Oregon has a great core of young talent and is in a great spot to get Jabbar Muhammad in the portal. Really going to have to play this right to keep it all together.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Crap. This is a tough loss. Meat does a great job of both player acquisition and player development at a position where we see a lot of coaches really only good at one.

Oregon has a great core of young talent and is in a great spot to get Jabbar Muhammad in the portal. Really going to have to play this right to keep it all together.
Confident that Dan knew this was possible and is prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

CB Coach Demetrice Martin leaving for Michigan State

Post by lmduck »

Looks like there is a plan in place

https://x.com/mzenitz/status/1747444575 ... jjUzBl2_jA

https://x.com/mzenitz/status/1747443765 ... jjUzBl2_jA

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

Is one of those two going to be named one of the 10 assistants to replace Martin? Or are they staying in their current roles?
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

pdxduck2013 wrote:Is one of those two going to be named one of the 10 assistants to replace Martin? Or are they staying in their current roles?
Sounds like Hampton is replacing Martin. Wadood is getting an expanded role and sounds like he will be promoted from GA and Michalkowski is getting an expanded role.

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Wondering if this was a Hampton vs Martin sort of thing, with Hampton turning down jobs elsewhere with some confidence he’d see a promotion here. That Martin’s son transferred ahead of this makes me wonder if Martin was sharing at the dinner table that he was the odd man out. Sounds like Martin was incredibly valuable to this team, but the D took a huge step forward in the one year Hampton’s been on staff.

webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

whosyourwally wrote:Wondering if this was a Hampton vs Martin sort of thing, with Hampton turning down jobs elsewhere with some confidence he’d see a promotion here. That Martin’s son transferred ahead of this makes me wonder if Martin was sharing at the dinner table that he was the odd man out. Sounds like Martin was incredibly valuable to this team, but the D took a huge step forward in the one year Hampton’s been on staff.

My guess is a combination of giving Hampton a pay raise to keep him and trying to keep an up and coming coach in Wadood who seems to be a large presence in on-campus recruiting (at least from twitter stalking). I doubt we lose any of the top 3 guys at CB or any of the most recent recruiting class.
lmduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by lmduck »

webfoots2001 wrote:
whosyourwally wrote:Wondering if this was a Hampton vs Martin sort of thing, with Hampton turning down jobs elsewhere with some confidence he’d see a promotion here. That Martin’s son transferred ahead of this makes me wonder if Martin was sharing at the dinner table that he was the odd man out. Sounds like Martin was incredibly valuable to this team, but the D took a huge step forward in the one year Hampton’s been on staff.

My guess is a combination of giving Hampton a pay raise to keep him and trying to keep an up and coming coach in Wadood who seems to be a large presence in on-campus recruiting (at least from twitter stalking). I doubt we lose any of the top 3 guys at CB or any of the most recent recruiting class.
Guessing recruits and current DBs were told about this a while ago

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Given that it's all changes internally, that makes me feel better about the succession plan not affecting the current roster and recruits. That said, Coach Meat has a hell of a track record. Great pick up for MSU, and we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that we don't see a dropoff at UofO.