Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Big Ten + SEC

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Re: Big Ten + SEC

Post by greenyellow »

Hopefully this works out better than The Alliance did.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I have greater confidence in those few individuals than I do the NCAA, private equity or anyone else in some authoritative role.

It's clear something has to balance out right now and it's probably going to involve shifting some of NIL to a shared revenue model for players.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. The obvious preference of these two is to create a B1G, SEC only playoff. However, if they do that they will have to deal with a major anti-trust lawsuit; which i think they would lose.

I'm guessing they make the playoff/platform/whatever they decide on open to everyone, but create rules that give an inherent advantage to B1G and SEC schools.

Sadly, I think this gets us further away from the Chip Kelly plan.
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit

Post by spacefrog13x »

I'm no legal expert, what would the legal basis of an anti-trust lawsuit entail?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Whatever this manifests into, I’m just glad Oregon is in it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Still a little sad the Pac-12 died, but I'm so incredibly thankful that we didn't make some kind of panic leap to the Big 12. The Pac-12 could have limped on for another media cycle with us still landing in the B1G, but jumping to the Big-12 with that massive GOR would have been an absolute death sentence.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

spacefrog13x wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:41 pm I'm no legal expert, what would the legal basis of an anti-trust lawsuit entail?
I don't think there is an antitrust claim when you already have multiple divisions of college athletics. Having TV deals expire and creating a new division totally refutes any notion of an antitrust claim as these things are largely dictated by the market.

Further, it wouldn't take much for Congress to make another exemption for college sports. I'm hoping for a Saban vs Tuberville AL Senate showdown soon in our ever collapsing society.

IF there is any potential legal claim I think it's with the NLRB which as I recall has already ruled once in favor of Student Athlete's and their de facto employee status with their schools.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

How do you think the Big 12 and ACC are feeling right now? Got to be a bit nervous they are being left out. Pretty soon it might just be AAA (BIG/SEC), AA (B12/ACC), single A everyone else.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Duck07 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:44 am
spacefrog13x wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:41 pm I'm no legal expert, what would the legal basis of an anti-trust lawsuit entail?
I don't think there is an antitrust claim when you already have multiple divisions of college athletics. Having TV deals expire and creating a new division totally refutes any notion of an antitrust claim as these things are largely dictated by the market.

Further, it wouldn't take much for Congress to make another exemption for college sports. I'm hoping for a Saban vs Tuberville AL Senate showdown soon in our ever collapsing society.

IF there is any potential legal claim I think it's with the NLRB which as I recall has already ruled once in favor of Student Athlete's and their de facto employee status with their schools.
I'm also not a legal expert, just making a guess. There was a lawsuit against the BCS years ago by non-power-5 schools saying anti-trust practices kept them from competing for a NC. I figured the same thing would happen again.
Good point about having a new division. That may solve the problem, but I imagine the ACC, Big12, etc would do everything they could - including legal avenues - to prevent that.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Just a matter of time until we have a Super Group of 48 teams that tell the NCAA to pound sand and the rest of the teams will have to sort it out for themselves. 12 teams in the West, Mountain, Central and East with playoffs to get to the final twelve teams and then we will have the 12 TEAM PLAYOFF. It's coming. Each team will probably have 4 "non SG" teams on their schedule and the other 8 games will come from within the SG. Sucks to be OSU and WSU and a bunch of other teams as well, but college football has become the developmental leagues for the NFL with the NIL and the demise of the NCAA (which IMHO, is NOT a bad thing). $$$
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I hope the SEC and B1G don't break off and form a super conference. I think CFB can survive regionless rivalries just fine -- the world and how we interact within it have changed just a tad over the years -- but I see interest dropping dramatically if it's suddenly a player's club for high rollers only. The sport still gets its charm from the belief that any team might have a dream season and knock off a blue blood. The correct answer is exactly where we were heading -- for power conference champs to get in and then for a number of at-large teams to be in a playoff. Guarantee that everyone can fight for a seat at the table. Take that away and it's so much less interesting, and a "national championship" would lose quite a bit of its shine.

Am I glad that Oregon would be part of such a super conference if it does in fact happen? Yes, absolutely. But I'd hate to see college football risk falling into the same abyss as minor-league baseball, minor-league hockey, etc.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckpoint
Three Star Recruit

Post by duckpoint »

pezsez1 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:49 pm I hope the SEC and B1G don't break off and form a super conference. I think CFB can survive regionless rivalries just fine -- the world and how we interact within it have changed just a tad over the years -- but I see interest dropping dramatically if it's suddenly a player's club for high rollers only. The sport still gets its charm from the belief that any team might have a dream season and knock off a blue blood. The correct answer is exactly where we were heading -- for power conference champs to get in and then for a number of at-large teams to be in a playoff. Guarantee that everyone can fight for a seat at the table. Take that away and it's so much less interesting, and a "national championship" would lose quite a bit of its shine.

Am I glad that Oregon would be part of such a super conference if it does in fact happen? Yes, absolutely. But I'd hate to see college football risk falling into the same abyss as minor-league baseball, minor-league hockey, etc.
I agree that college football could have been corrected in the old conference format, but with this last round of realignment it is evident to me that a super conference was and is the plan. The David vs. Goliath dream might be able to happen OOC or perhaps a bowl game, but the second class citizens of division 1 were never gonna be allowed into the big game as long as voters could find some justification that a 3 loss SEC was 'better". In most cases, SEC was enough justification. Just ask FSU & Liberty!

The NCAA lost control and I think the super conference may operate outside of their purview. The rest of the CFB world may take a few steps back and resemble something more like what CFB was 20 years ago and many would be better off for it, but the universities will miss the cash cow.

The NCAA FU'd and we will have the semi-pro super conferences in a couple of years!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

If they copy the English Football model and have a tiered system with promotion and relegation I could get into it for football only, especially if it brought about the return to normal, regional based conferences for the other sports.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Just for fun, what a 4 region super conference might look like:

NORTH

OHIO STATE
MICHIGAN
NOTRE DAME
WISCONSIN
IOWA
KANSAS
MARYLAND
NORTHWESTERN
KENTUCKY
KANSAS STATE
ILLINOIS
MISSOURI

EAST

PENN STATE
WEST VIRGINIA
VIRGINIA
VIRGINIA TECH
CLEMSON
BOSTON COLLEGE
PITTSBURG
NORTH CAROLINA
NORTH CAROLINA STATE
CLEMSON
SOUTH CAROLINA
SYRACUSE

SOUTH

GEORGIA
FLORIDA
AUBURN
LSU
FLORIDA STATE
MIAMI
OLE MISS
MISSISSIPPI STATE
ALABAMA
ARKANSAS
TEXAS
TEXAS A&M

WEST

USC
UCLA
OREGON
WASHINGTON
ARIZONA
ARIZONA STATE
UTAH
COLORADO
OKLAHOMA
OKLAHOMA STATE
NEBRASKA
STANFORD

TOP 3 TEAMS IN EACH DIVISION TO THE 12 TEAM PLAYOFF

I'm sure there are some teams that might deserve to be in here somewhere, but who would you drop out to add them?

Now if it was a 32 team super conference? Who would you take out?

What do y'all think. Please feel free to add/subtract/move around. Yes I'm bored...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine