Should The Men's Tournament Be Expanded?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Should The Men's Tournament Be Expanded?

Post by SuperDuck »

It feels like there are already too many teams, but I feel like it would be the right thing to do.

Nothing major. Just move to 72 to 76 games and add to the Tuesday play-in games.

In my humble opinion, that would be the best way to break the bubble for most deserving teams. Let them have a play-in game.

Oh, and keep the games to lower seeds in all brackets. That would actually increase the level of competition.

Thoughts?
John 3:36
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: Should The Men's Tournament Be Expanded?

Post by droop10 »

Nah. I'm tired of all sports expanding their playoff fields just to get more people participating. Generally, if you're on the bubble, you had your chances to earn a spot in and didn't come through. All that expanding would do, is shift the bubble a bit. There will always be teams on the edge of whatever field there is with beef that another team got in and they didn't. The only teams I really feel bad for are the mid-majors that dominate all year, but have a slip-up in their conference tourney and get excluded. But I honestly think if they expanded the field, they'd just continue to push more Power 5 schools into those spots.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

You have to draw the line somewhere. I think it's funny that almost every team whining about not making the field had a worse record than Oregon, who wasn't even being considered for a spot if they didn't get the auto-bid. If you expand the field, it means more 13-loss teams can get in, but not from the West Coast.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Most the bubble teams left out had 12 or 13 losses. Gotta win more if you wanna a chance at the dance.

Indiana State is probably the only annoying team this year to get left out. But even they were 1-4 against Tier 1 teams...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

All good points!
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:17 pm Most the bubble teams left out had 12 or 13 losses. Gotta win more if you wanna a chance at the dance.

Indiana State is probably the only annoying team this year to get left out. But even they were 1-4 against Tier 1 teams...
Counterpoint: We could have seen Cream Abdul Jabbar play in March Madness.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:09 am
UOducksTK1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:17 pm Most the bubble teams left out had 12 or 13 losses. Gotta win more if you wanna a chance at the dance.

Counterpoint: We could have seen Cream Abdul Jabbar play in March Madness.
Oh I was looking forward to it. I am mildly disappointed.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13