DB Daylen Austin arrested for hit and run

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: DB Daylen Austin arrested for hit and run

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:21 am
OregonFan4Life wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:57 am With this news we will probably most likely see Austen playing this summer, from the reports sounds like was trying to escape a crazy homeless person who was probably intoxicated causing havoc.
And a person with a criminal-ridden past. It's a shame we allow criminal behavior to go in relatively unchecked. It puts people like Daylen Austin in a tough situation.
We still don't know all the facts, and still hard to justify fleeing the scene after hitting him. But definitely a sticky situation.
If some random crazy person throws a baseball at my car and starts hitting it with a hammer, I’m speeding off too. He probably didn’t know he was dead.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:54 am
UOducksTK1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:21 am
OregonFan4Life wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:57 am With this news we will probably most likely see Austen playing this summer, from the reports sounds like was trying to escape a crazy homeless person who was probably intoxicated causing havoc.
And a person with a criminal-ridden past. It's a shame we allow criminal behavior to go in relatively unchecked. It puts people like Daylen Austin in a tough situation.
We still don't know all the facts, and still hard to justify fleeing the scene after hitting him. But definitely a sticky situation.
If some random crazy person throws a baseball at my car and starts hitting it with a hammer, I’m speeding off too. He probably didn’t know he was dead.
Maybe? If a homeless person with clearly some drug issues and/or mental issues got neutralized by me hitting them with my car. I do feel like I'd at least call cops and monitor the situation from a distance.

Maybe schools should start teaching kids how to deal with criminals and homeless people more. Since it's so prevalent in cities these days.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Maybe cities should just try helping out these homeless people, rather than having them running around on the streets hitting cars with hammer and breaking into cars?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:02 pm Maybe cities should just try helping out these homeless people, rather than having them running around on the streets hitting cars with hammer and breaking into cars?
Well current leadership in every big city is run by certain ideological individuals. And they've been failing for decades now. So unless people change the way they vote, it ain't happening.

Either way though, Austin's situation is quite the dynamic.

squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

buckmarkduck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:02 pm Maybe cities should just try helping out these homeless people, rather than having them running around on the streets hitting cars with hammer and breaking into cars?
Can't always blame the cities for lack of help. While it may not always be adequate, there is help out there. You can't help those that don't want it either
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Hate to break it to certain folks but homelessness is everywhere. It's just more noticeable in big cities with higher population densities. I've lived in cities large and small with red and blue leadership. It's always the same story. Just certain cities get more coverage on media networks of certain political leanings.

I swear, if you want to see a city with serious public tweaking, go to Seaside for an hour. Tweak city, and they're aggressive. But it's a small town at the beach so most people choose not to care.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Gosh I’d love to engage in the homelessness debate but I don’t want to contribute to the hijacking of this thread.

As for Austin, technically the right thing would’ve been to check on the guy, but given the situation he was probably in flight or fight mode and he’s a flight person, so he probably wasn’t thinking clearly just wanted to escape the situation. If the reports are true IMO he’s innocent and should play this fall.
justin_f
One Star Recruit

Post by justin_f »

pezsez1 wrote:Hate to break it to certain folks but homelessness is everywhere. It's just more noticeable in big cities with higher population densities. I've lived in cities large and small with red and blue leadership. It's always the same story. Just certain cities get more coverage on media networks of certain political leanings.

I swear, if you want to see a city with serious public tweaking, go to Seaside for an hour. Tweak city, and they're aggressive. But it's a small town at the beach so most people choose not to care.
Sure, buddy, keep telling yourself that. Simply not true

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

There’s a reason Springfield doesn’t have a big of homeless issue as Eugene.

As for the case, he shouldn’t necessarily have gotten out to check on him. Just get to a safe distance and call 911. If the person was clearly mentally unstable/intoxicated it’s probably not a good idea to get out of your vehicle to go check. Especially if he was in fact just attacking his vehicle with a hammer. Could cause further issues if he were to be alive and attack you. It’s a tough situation all the way around.

He’s only being charged, as of now, with the hit and run (felony) and not the actual death. There could be enough doubt to show he honestly had no idea what to do in that situation and panicked. Just still not enough information to tell.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

HomeSickDuck wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 am There’s a reason Springfield doesn’t have a big of homeless issue as Eugene.

As for the case, he shouldn’t necessarily have gotten out to check on him. Just get to a safe distance and call 911. If the person was clearly mentally unstable/intoxicated it’s probably not a good idea to get out of your vehicle to go check. Especially if he was in fact just attacking his vehicle with a hammer. Could cause further issues if he were to be alive and attack you. It’s a tough situation all the way around.

He’s only being charged, as of now, with the hit and run (felony) and not the actual death. There could be enough doubt to show he honestly had no idea what to do in that situation and panicked. Just still not enough information to tell.
Pretty much my thoughts^

jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

Well, first define "cities", then define what you mean by "helping".

Take a look at Portland for example. The "city", mostly run by people who are woefully under qualified to do what they do, have created lots of programs and tweaked laws to "help" homeless.

Look at the result.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Right. Lower population density. Fewer apartments. Fewer hotels. Fewer bus routes.

But you're naive if you think Springfield is free of homelessness and doesn't have the same issues. You pack more people into a space and you get more crime. It's silly to politicize it. It's not like certain other politicians have come up with better solutions over the past many decades. In fact, some of those politicians have actually passed legislation blocking approaches which have been shown to be successful.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:21 am
Right. Lower population density. Fewer apartments. Fewer hotels. Fewer bus routes.

But you're naive if you think Springfield is free of homelessness and doesn't have the same issues. You pack more people into a space and you get more crime. It's silly to politicize it. It's not like certain other politicians have come up with better solutions over the past many decades. In fact, some of those politicians have actually passed legislation blocking approaches which have been shown to be successful.
Homeless people per 10,000 residents...

Top 5 states with most homelessness:
1 New York (population rank: 4)
2 Vermont (50)
3 Oregon (27)
4 California (1)
5 Hawaii (40)

Top 5 states with least homelessness:
Mississippi (35)
Alabama (24)
Louisiana (25)
South Carolina (23)
Virginia (12)

Florida and Texas which are the 2nd and 3rd most populated states aren't even in the top 20 in homelessness.

The top 15 cities with the worst homelessness all have blue mayors and blue city council, even though 3 of the top 15 cities in America have red mayors.

Regardless of political association, clearly blue states invite more homelessness.

Anatinae
One Star Recruit

Post by Anatinae »

justin_f wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 pm
pezsez1 wrote:Hate to break it to certain folks but homelessness is everywhere. It's just more noticeable in big cities with higher population densities. I've lived in cities large and small with red and blue leadership. It's always the same story. Just certain cities get more coverage on media networks of certain political leanings.

Clatsop County has triple the homeless rate of Lane or Multnomah.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Anatinae wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:50 pm
justin_f wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 pm

Clatsop County has triple the homeless rate of Lane or Multnomah.
I mean Clatsop County is blue... They elected blue for Senate, house, governor, etc. Also Canon beach and Astoria are locally mostly blue when it comes to local government (mayor/city council/etc). Seaside city council more mixed, and mayor is supposedly red.