Do You Think I Cherish This?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

featherbutt
Two Star Recruit

Do You Think I Cherish This?

Post by featherbutt »

I got this from my grandfather in the early 1970's. I was the first born grandson, so I got it.

He was a defensive coach who came to Oregon with Cas and left only after Rich Brooks took over. It is signed by all the players (although some of the signatures are fading - can still see JOHN ROBINSON ala John Hancock).

I offered this to the AD about 10 years ago to display in the Cas Center. They showed no interest. So I still have it.

The story is that the 1958 team was so happy to have hung with OSU they gave my grandfather the game ball. Now I have an 8-year old to pass it down to.

Thought you all would like to see it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RanDux
Senior

Re: Do You Think I Cherish This?

Post by RanDux »

Wow. My guess is that they wouldn't turn it down a second time, but if I were in your shoes I would just loan it to them. I'll bet you're glad to still have it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

One of my childhood memories is going to the Rose Bowl in 1972 to see Stanford and Jim Plunkett take on and beat Ohio State. I won the trip in a contest selling subscriptions to a small newspaper in Sandy, Oregon. I lived in the sparsely populated Mt. Hood community, yet hung with the top seller from Sandy because everyone liked my school-teacher father and bought even when they didn't need to. It came down to the last week, and the kid from Sandy won. He asked if his parents could go with him and was told "no," so he took the second place prize. He turned down an all-expenses paid trip to the Rose Bowl, Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel, and Knotts Berry Farm for a little black and white television!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Wow, that is awesome! I definitely would never give it away.
John 3:36
featherbutt
Two Star Recruit

Post by featherbutt »

I do like having it around, however no one ever gets to see it here in my house. I thought it would be great in the Cas Center. Maybe I will offer it again after I move back to Oregon.

I also have a bunch of stuff from the Liberty Bowl and, from when my grandfather was a player, from the Orange Bowl. I hope my son will keep these things as close as I have down the line.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

That's sweet!!!! I wonder how much that is worth? Better yet, I wonder how much you could get for that on ebay? Honestly though, I would definitely keep it.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

I hope it's protected so things don't fade!
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

featherbutt wrote:I got this from my grandfather in the early 1970's. I was the first born grandson, so I got it.

He was a defensive coach who came to Oregon with Cas and left only after Rich Brooks took over. It is signed by all the players (although some of the signatures are fading - can still see JOHN ROBINSON ala John Hancock).

I offered this to the AD about 10 years ago to display in the Cas Center. They showed no interest. So I still have it.

The story is that the 1958 team was so happy to have hung with OSU they gave my grandfather the game ball. Now I have an 8-year old to pass it down to.

Thought you all would like to see it.

You can store it at MY house..... :P