James? What the?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

sx1080
Three Star Recruit

questions

Post by sx1080 »

whats with the 5 weeks wait for a pre-trial?

Why is he on house arrest? Because he couldnt post bail?

Why was LMJ living in Springfield.? why not in a dorm, frat, or close to campus?
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Re: questions

Post by Juice »

sx1080 wrote:whats with the 5 weeks wait for a pre-trial?

Why was LMJ living in Springfield.? why not in a dorm, frat, or close to campus?
Dorms? He's not a true freshman. Most people are in the dorms for one year only. Unless they decide to become an RA and I dunno if I've ever heard of an athlete as an RA.

Frats? UO athletes aren't allowed to be in Fraternities/Sororities if I'm not mistaken.

Close to campus? Not sure, but I know it's not unusual for fb players to live in Springfield. Well a lot of them did the years I was down there anyway.
duck55
Senior

Re: questions

Post by duck55 »

sx1080 wrote:whats with the 5 weeks wait for a pre-trial?

Why not? Dorms are not very roomy or private, Frat - just what you need to avoid trouble, and housing near campus is generally more expensive.
Springfield is just as close to the athletic center (Cas, Autzen, ...) as campus.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Re: James? What the?

Post by droop10 »

They can be in frats. A couple were in my buddy's frat. Apartments are probably fairly cheap in Springfield. It's not much further than Ducks Village area in which I lived. Not that out of the ordinary.
spinseeker
Freshman

Post by spinseeker »

Those apartments are right across the street from Autzen. A lot of students live there.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Why hasn't his attorney made a statement? Usually an attorney is anxious to make a statement that says his client will be exonerated.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

bellsduck wrote:Why hasn't his attorney made a statement? Usually an attorney is anxious to make a statement that says his client will be exonerated.
It's sometimes the best idea to not talk to the public so as to get all the facts straight beforehand and to limit any type of damage that could occur from any statement.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

bellsduck wrote:Why hasn't his attorney made a statement? Usually an attorney is anxious to make a statement that says his client will be exonerated.
The attorney has to be very careful in this situation because he's obviously got to prove that this incident did not happen. He's probably gathering as much data as he can on the victim (standard practice) as well as retrieving data from LMJ's phone, FB, etc. I expect we will not hear anything from him publicly, only will make statements in court. This whole media thing needs to settle down and let LaMichael have some peace.
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

What worries me is the measures the judge has taken against LaMichael already. The high bail, the ankle bracelet and the host of other conditions of his release makes it seem like their is sufficient evidence against him.

Can anyone more familiar with the workings of the legal system shed some light on this. Is this standard operating procedure or is this really as bad as it looks?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

What worries me is the measures the judge has taken against LaMichael already. The high bail, the ankle bracelet and the host of other conditions of his release makes it seem like their is sufficient evidence against him.
Part of the answer seems fairly simple to me.

Oregon has very strict domestic violence laws, which are meant to protect victims from domestic violence who may be too fearful or intimidated to follow through with charges. Without these strict laws, many domestic violence offenders would be allowed to immediately return to the home where the victim lives, often resulting in more violence. Part of Oregon's tough DV code is a mandatory arrest on all DV complaints. It's a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach, but the intention of the law is to protect people who cannot protect themselves.

With that in mind, it's fairly easy to see why LMJ had such a high bail amount. Regardless of what he did or didn't do, the bail is automatically set high to provide protection for the alleged victim.

As for the ankle bracelet... I read on Moseley's blog that the bracelet was part of his release agreement. He had to sign a lease agreement because he couldn't post the $100,000 bail amount. I think (and this is me guessing) that if he could have afforded to post bail, then he wouldn't have had to wear the bracelet. The bracelet isn't to make sure he doesn't go chasing anyone down (remember, the girl came to his apartment), but to make sure he doesn't flee or go into hiding.

Another detail to keep in mind is that this girl told police she is LMJ's girlfriend, when clearly she's not, according to his actual girlfriend who showed up at the courthouse. If this girl lied about her relationship with LMJ, then she could have also lied about him "menacing" or stalking her, which would cause the bail/scrutiny over LMJ to be even higher.

All of these mechanisms are in place to protect victims of DV.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

Ok, thanks.

Makes sense. I must admit that I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. So I was beginning to worry myself into a panic. All this just makes me sick to stomach.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://uosportsdude.com/2010/02/19/late ... t-looming/

Possible Masoli news. :( Anyone here know anything about this?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It's gone whatever it was.
duckgrad99 wrote:http://uosportsdude.com/2010/02/19/late ... t-looming/

Possible Masoli news. :( Anyone here know anything about this?
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

"For those of you asking, Masoli has not been arrested or charged with anything at this hour." @sportsbybrooks
Destroyer77
Five Star Recruit

Post by Destroyer77 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Part of the answer seems fairly simple to me.

Oregon has very strict domestic violence laws, which are meant to protect victims from domestic violence who may be too fearful or intimidated to follow through with charges. Without these strict laws, many domestic violence offenders would be allowed to immediately return to the home where the victim lives, often resulting in more violence. Part of Oregon's tough DV code is a mandatory arrest on all DV complaints. It's a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach, but the intention of the law is to protect people who cannot protect themselves.

With that in mind, it's fairly easy to see why LMJ had such a high bail amount. Regardless of what he did or didn't do, the bail is automatically set high to provide protection for the alleged victim.

As for the ankle bracelet... I read on Moseley's blog that the bracelet was part of his release agreement. He had to sign a lease agreement because he couldn't post the $100,000 bail amount. I think (and this is me guessing) that if he could have afforded to post bail, then he wouldn't have had to wear the bracelet. The bracelet isn't to make sure he doesn't go chasing anyone down (remember, the girl came to his apartment), but to make sure he doesn't flee or go into hiding.

Another detail to keep in mind is that this girl told police she is LMJ's girlfriend, when clearly she's not, according to his actual girlfriend who showed up at the courthouse. If this girl lied about her relationship with LMJ, then she could have also lied about him "menacing" or stalking her, which would cause the bail/scrutiny over LMJ to be even higher.

All of these mechanisms are in place to protect victims of DV.
+1 +1 +1 +1 ^^^^^^^ this is the best explanation I've seen for these types of incidents. This is EXACTLY what happened to LMJ.