Speculation: Texas and Texas A&M to the Pac-10.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

5$
Five Star Recruit

Speculation: Texas and Texas A&M to the Pac-10.

Post by 5$ »

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id ... the-pac-10

I think Texas and Texas A&M joining the Pac-10 would be awesome from many different standpoints. I like Ted Miller's take on it.

This BR article is a bit more dense, but the final paragraph essentially sums-up the entire op/ed piece:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3506 ... the-pac-10
Colorado will be invited to join the PAC 10 first. Texas will engage in dual-track negotiations with the Big 10 and PAC 10 and deny everything to the public. Senator Grassley will engage in saber-rattling, let it be known that Iowa State deserves a spot, any spot, in a superconference, and gain a critical 15 points in the polls. The Big 10 will insist on expanding east as well as west. The PAC 10 will be more amenable to Texas’ scheduling demands and will ultimately emerge as the big winner. Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech will join Arizona and Arizona State in the east division of the PAC 10 . Oklahoma will find refuge in the SEC, and seeing the risk of a permanent impairment to his investment, Boone Pickens will cut a deal to ensure that Oklahoma State tags along. The Big 10 will eventually accept Missouri, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Rutgers to join its version of a superconference, but with junior status on academic affairs and certain revenue distributions. The remainder of the Big 12, Baylor and Kansas State, will latch on to the WAC or Mountain West or Conference USA.
nehalem
Four Star Recruit

Re: Speculation: Texas and Texas A&M to the Pac-10.

Post by nehalem »

The pidgeon thing is really funny. Hate the idea of expansion, even though I'm resigned to it being an eventuality. I guess if it has to happen, Texas and A&M would make the most sense. If the super-conference route becomes a reality, it's going to be really weird seeing all the changes to bowl affiliations and tv contracts and many more things I can't even imagine.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I'd take SDSU and SJSU if it meant death to the round-robin.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I love the round robin. We actually have a true champion at the end of each season. If we go to a 12 team conference we can get used to Florida esque OOC scheduling. I'd rather have a smaller conference with a round robin that keeps the integrity of scheduling tough OOC.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I love the round robin. We actually have a true champion at the end of each season. If we go to a 12 team conference we can get used to Florida esque OOC scheduling. I'd rather have a smaller conference with a round robin that keeps the integrity of scheduling tough OOC.
You can schedule aggressively OOC without a round robin; nobody is going to make Citadel come play us. The additional 5 losses spread throughout the conference lowers everyone's ranking, SOS, and means one less bowl eligible team each year.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:I love the round robin. We actually have a true champion at the end of each season. If we go to a 12 team conference we can get used to Florida esque OOC scheduling. I'd rather have a smaller conference with a round robin that keeps the integrity of scheduling tough OOC.
I would agree with you if the rest of the country acknowledged the fact that we play a true conference schedule. Unfortunately we get penalized for it. We can take the same, lame road as Florida and the reat of the sec. Only play a good team once or twice a year. Then all of the sudden we will look like that team that has the men playing against the boys. Because they are!!!!
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Hoagduck wrote:
You can schedule aggressively OOC without a round robin; nobody is going to make Citadel come play us. The additional 5 losses spread throughout the conference lowers everyone's ranking, SOS, and means one less bowl eligible team each year.
Nobodies making Florida schedule garbage teams either. But If we go to a 12 team conference all the pac10 teams will be, theres no longer any reason to schedule difficult OOC. If its not broken don't fix it. The benefits of going to a 12 team conference are not that great. Its a desperate attempt to be included in the "cool kids club" by the Pac10 commish. We will NEVER be included in the SEC/Big12 love fest and going to a 12 team won't change that. The talking heads at espn won't have it. Having a conference championship game will only hurt us.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Hoagduck wrote:I'd take SDSU and SJSU if it meant death to the round-robin.
Just for interests sake, why do u not like the round robin format? What possible basis can you have for your position? What? You dont want every Pac 10 team to play every other Pac 10 team? That isnt a conference....That is as bad of an idea as the BCS....Always a dispute as to who the best team in the conference is...That makes zero sense to me....For the purpose of joining other leagues in playing substandard preseason games/teams...If that's it, it has my opposition...I say, make the other conferences fall in line and play a round robin...That makes alot more sense...Hell, why dont we just schedule Linfield for every game next year....Sure, we would be undefeated...But, we might as well change our name to Boise State....IMO, the NCAA needs to require a round robin format and create some rules that do not allow other conferences to play patsy schedules...I dont believe in beating up on little kids....Do U?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

ducksrock wrote:
Just for interests sake, why do u not like the round robin format? What possible basis can you have for your position? What? You dont want every Pac 10 team to play every other Pac 10 team? That isnt a conference....That is as bad of an idea as the BCS....Always a dispute as to who the best team in the conference is...That makes zero sense to me....For the purpose of joining other leagues in playing substandard preseason games/teams...If that's it, it has my opposition...I say, make the other conferences fall in line and play a round robin...That makes alot more sense...Hell, why dont we just schedule Linfield for every game next year....Sure, we would be undefeated...But, we might as well change our name to Boise State....IMO, the NCAA needs to require a round robin format and create some rules that do not allow other conferences to play patsy schedules...I dont believe in beating up on little kids....Do U?
But to do that you would have to have some teams drop out of conferences to make sure you are able to fit in all conference games or to stop scheduling OOC games, which I don't see happening either. The only thing that you could say is wrong with the round robin is that there's no chance for you to have 2 undefeated teams at the end of the season and that means not as highly ranked teams in the final polls.
shear_j
Four Star Recruit

Post by shear_j »

ducksrock wrote:
Unfortunately this will never happen because the NCAA loves to hype teams like Fla and Texas who played Troy, Charlston South., FIU, ULM (whoever the hell that is) UTEP, and UCF. They don't want their biggest stars to lose out of conference because it might take some of the hype and thus viewers away from the sport.

Do I agree with them, I dont know. I think people are going to watch Florida whether they are undefeated or not. But in the end, it doesn't matter. They will never change what they do because it works for them. Do I think we should do what they do? I dont know, I mean Fla has won two of the last four NC's so its obviously working. I just dont think I want to stoop to their level
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

FIVE extra losses spread across the conference. That seals it as to why the round robin is a bad idea.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Hoagduck wrote:FIVE extra losses spread across the conference. That seals it as to why the round robin is a bad idea.

So, it is ALL about wins and losses....and the publics perception? Whatever happened to INTEGRITY? Has this generation lost that concept?
If so, that is degrading to the entire sport of football.

The chances of the Ducks ever making it to a NC game are slim at best....And yet, we are willing to compromise our Integrity (strength of schedule) for a slim shot at playing in maybe ONE NC game? Is it worth the price? If so, maybe we all need to re-evaluate our priorities in life...
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

This statement contradicts your statements later on in this thread...SDSU and SJSU ARE NOT quality programs and are not formidable opponents....Is that all that you want? More wins?
Beating up on lesser programs is not what this sport and athletics is all about...It IS about playing your best, trying as hard as you can, and doing the best that you can..In any one game there is gonna be a winner and there is gonna be a loser...We just hope to be the winner more often than being the loser....and anything any better than that is the frosting on the cake.
But, victories over sub-standard programs, are not, IMO as validating as "actually competing" against quality programs...Do I wish to accept mediocrity? NO WAY.....I would much prefer to stand out above the crowd, with a good solid SOS and letting the cards fall where they may...
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

brich75 wrote:
I would agree with you if the rest of the country acknowledged the fact that we play a true conference schedule. Unfortunately we get penalized for it. We can take the same, lame road as Florida and the reat of the sec. Only play a good team once or twice a year. Then all of the sudden we will look like that team that has the men playing against the boys. Because they are!!!!
I'd love the round robin if everyone else in the country were doing it too. It's not fair that we play every team while some other teams don't and pad their schedules with soft teams.

On the other side of the coin, those teams could look at the Pac-10 and say, "yeah, but you guys don't have to play a conference championship game".

Personally, I think expansion is dumb. Keep the conferences the way they are, eliminate the conference championship games and send the top 1-2 teams from each conference to a PLAYOFF.

Okay, I'm getting off topic. Sorry. :)
John 3:36
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

SuperDuck wrote:
brich75 wrote:
I'd love the round robin if everyone else in the country were doing it too. It's not fair that we play every team while some other teams don't and pad their schedules with soft teams.

On the other side of the coin, those teams could look at the Pac-10 and say, "yeah, but you guys don't have to play a conference championship game".

Personally, I think expansion is dumb. Keep the conferences the way they are, eliminate the conference championship games and send the top 1-2 teams from each conference to a PLAYOFF.

Okay, I'm getting off topic. Sorry. :)

NOOOOOO, stay with this thot...You are definitely on the right track, IMO....And, as for the Notre Dames of the world..Join a freakin league...And the BSU's of the world, join a credible league...lol....I dont think I am alone in thinking that the day in and day out SOS needs to be evaluated and considered more in depth, than it is today...And then, determine who faces whom in the bowl games. Or, appoint me as the one to make such determinations..NOW, THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKIN ABOUT....lol