Watched the Civil War Again...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

amazon
Two Star Recruit

Watched the Civil War Again...

Post by amazon »

and I'm all kinds of worried about losing Masoli this year.

It was easy to forget the little plays here and there that he got. The 4th down run on the broken play where he ran over the OSU DB was amazing. Just one of a few amazing plays that he broke on his own.

I'm excited about the new chapter with Costa or Thomas(hoping Thomas cuz he has more time) but I'm concerned about the lack of the broken play option that Masoli brought. I know he wasn't the most accurate passer but I loved the broken play option that he brought. I know that Chip will change the offense to match the weapons that he has but Masoli sure brought the power running option....
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Watched the Civil War Again...

Post by UOducksTK1 »

amazon wrote:and I'm all kinds of worried about losing Masoli this year.

It was easy to forget the little plays here and there that he got. The 4th down run on the broken play where he ran over the OSU DB was amazing. Just one of a few amazing plays that he broke on his own.

I'm excited about the new chapter with Costa or Thomas(hoping Thomas cuz he has more time) but I'm concerned about the lack of the broken play option that Masoli brought. I know he wasn't the most accurate passer but I loved the broken play option that he brought. I know that Chip will change the offense to match the weapons that he has but Masoli sure brought the power running option....
3 reasons I'm not worried:

1 - Chip Kelly. He made Masoli into a winner just after arriving in Eugene a couple months before.

2 - Masoli couldn't pass. Let's be honest, Masoli has been the worst passing QB in the last decade or two to play at Oregon. He had a couple of nice games, but overall, his arm was hardly a threat. Most his passes could be completed by any QB. His strength was his running and mobility, which will be missed, but at the same time you got to wonder what our offense could be under a QB who can actually PASS!

3 - Our supporting cast kicks ass. Our OL is loaded, and our running game is going to be fantastic. As long as we have a QB that can just limit mistakes and move the ball forward, we should be fine.

Masoli was a stud here at Oregon, but so was every QB before him. There's no reason we can't win with DT or Costa.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

1 - Chip Kelly. He made Masoli into a winner just after arriving in Eugene a couple months before.

2 - Masoli couldn't pass. Let's be honest, Masoli has been the worst passing QB in the last decade or two to play at Oregon. He had a couple of nice games, but overall, his arm was hardly a threat. Most his passes could be completed by any QB. His strength was his running and mobility, which will be missed, but at the same time you got to wonder what our offense could be under a QB who can actually PASS!

3 - Our supporting cast kicks ass. Our OL is loaded, and our running game is going to be fantastic. As long as we have a QB that can just limit mistakes and move the ball forward, we should be fine.

Masoli was a stud here at Oregon, but so was every QB before him. There's no reason we can't win with DT or Costa.
So are you including Chris Harper and Cody Kempt in that group, too? ;)
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Haha maybe I should rephrase that. He has been the worst passing QB to start more than a few games in the last decade or two (at Oregon).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Haha maybe I should rephrase that. He has been the worst passing QB to start more than a few games in the last decade or two (at Oregon).
Thanks for the clarrification, although I knew what you were getting at.
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:

+1
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I am not worried because Chip Kelly geared the offense towards Masoli's abilities. Kelly will do the same in regards to Costa or Thomas. We have a great running back duo, maybe even tandem that will take pressure off of the QB and make some big plays. We have a proven offensive line that will hopefully make things easier for the QB. The defense should be even better than last season which should take some pressure off of the offense. Chip and co. are great coaches and will do just fine in getting this team ready. I don't think an undefeated season or NC is in the cards but I think another Rose Bowl is very realistic.

GO DUCKS!
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Masoli generally ran the team well, had some speed and punch to his running game...but, what he lacked was the passing game....Having someone step in this year that can open up a passing game, is goin to do nothing but help our running game...
With an ez schedule to start out the pre-season with (and TN is gettin to look easier all the time, with their recent troubles off the field) I believe we are gonna have a stellar year.....Keep in mind, I say this every year...lol
JTinKC
Three Star Recruit

Post by JTinKC »

At this point I think our O-line may be given more credit than it deserves because of the yardage on the ground we put up. Everyone wants to blame our lack of passing game on Masoli but from what I remember the pocket was non existent and there were a lot defenders in the backfield. If these guys can't protect the QB we don't have the guys that excel at making something out of nothing like Masoli.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

My theory is if Chip can win with Justin Roper (no offense against him, of course) then he can win with Costathomas.

My problem with Masoli is the fact that I will miss watching him play. He was definitely fun to watch because you had no idea what's going to happen.

it's funny this post came up because I watched part of the game yesterday and listened to part of the Cal game (which was on the radio) - and started cussing at Masoli for being such an idiot. My wife was laughing.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

Masoli wasn't a great passer but he could make the tough throws when it mattered. He always reminded me a bit of Brandon Roy, who isn't a great shooter but always seems to find his jumper when the Blazers need it. Our overall passing numbers might improve, but I think we will miss Masoli for awhile if we find ourselves in a tight game. I never expected Masoli to throw for 300 yards, but I did expect him to complete the necessary passes on a late game drive.
ImageImageImageImageImage
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

With regard to the pocket breaking down, its true there was quite a bit of that last year, but Masoli had very poor pocket presence and seemed to get spooked for no reason. He would then run to the outside of the pocket, giving defenders easier angles in backfield pursuit....The pocket should hold up better simply by the QB standing in it confidently. Thats the hope at least.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

oregontrack wrote:Masoli wasn't a great passer but he could make the tough throws when it mattered. He always reminded me a bit of Brandon Roy, who isn't a great shooter but always seems to find his jumper when the Blazers need it. Our overall passing numbers might improve, but I think we will miss Masoli for awhile if we find ourselves in a tight game. I never expected Masoli to throw for 300 yards, but I did expect him to complete the necessary passes on a late game drive.
Yeah I think people are hoping Masoli was a terrible passer. But I'm sorry, thats pretty dumb. He didn't have a super accurate arm & had games where he made some bad decisions but he was still a good passer. You don't do what he did without being one.

And like oregontrack said, he made the throws when it counted. Who cares if DT throws for 450 yards & 5 TDs is he can't lead a game winning drive. It amazes me how obsessed people are with the passing game. I just want results. Whether its on the ground or through the air, results are what matter. Did we win? THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. Thats what Masoli got us & he will be missed without a doubt.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Masoli will be missed. The bottom line is that he made several huge plays when the game was on the line. We wouldn't have gone to the rose bowl without him. I know that Chip Kelly can do wonders with qb's, but I'm a little concerned about DT/Costa at the start. Not having much game experience is huge, especially in the pac-10.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
oregontrack wrote:Masoli wasn't a great passer but he could make the tough throws when it mattered. He always reminded me a bit of Brandon Roy, who isn't a great shooter but always seems to find his jumper when the Blazers need it. Our overall passing numbers might improve, but I think we will miss Masoli for awhile if we find ourselves in a tight game. I never expected Masoli to throw for 300 yards, but I did expect him to complete the necessary passes on a late game drive.
Yeah I think people are hoping Masoli was a terrible passer. But I'm sorry, thats pretty dumb. He didn't have a super accurate arm & had games where he made some bad decisions but he was still a good passer. You don't do what he did without being one.

And like oregontrack said, he made the throws when it counted. Who cares if DT throws for 450 yards & 5 TDs is he can't lead a game winning drive. It amazes me how obsessed people are with the passing game. I just want results. Whether its on the ground or through the air, results are what matter. Did we win? THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. Thats what Masoli got us & he will be missed without a doubt.
Yup...I agree all that matters is winning.

While I agree Masoli wasn't great passers he seemed to do just enough and was a flat out winner....but what bothered me about him is the bonehead fumble or horrible decision at an inopportune time!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!