Bumi..

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

goducks75
Four Star Recruit

Re: Bumi..

Post by goducks75 »

Bumi wrote:
UofDuck wrote:Bumi, I have tried to have your back in past posts, but your over-the-top love fest of the SEC and unwillingness to open your eyes to a real issue with Boise State's cheap shots doesnt bode well here. Most of us are actually real Dux fans, not just Johnny-come-lately. You can spin your SEC/BSU love fest anyway you want, but it is blind and not accepted here.

PS, don't be a punk and mess with Wheaton. He is solid and level headed. It's time to show some respect, but not sure that is what you are really about. As far as some of you falling in love with the likes of Bumi's attitude, take it elsewhere. This has been the best boards for a long time now and I hate to see it overrun by the likes of SEC/BSU homers who are now Oregon bandwagoners. The very fact that Bumi shows up out of nowhere and now recently wants to love the ducks when the SEC is down speaks volumes. Can you say frontrunner? Every few years guys like this find new teams to cheer for.
Ok.

Which dorms should I apply for?
Start with Barnhart (good luck getting in there because that's the athlete dorm), then go with LLC/Carson, Hamilton/Walton/Earl, Bean (in that order. Bean is the worst dorm on campus). But as of 4 years ago when I was applying, you could only apply for room types (Single, Double, Enhanced Double, etc.) so go for the bigger rooms if you can because that fits more with Barnhart/LLC/Carson (the three biggest dorms). I got Carson which wasn't bad at all.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Oregonian wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
I really think mindsets like this don't bode well.

Yes, this board is good because there aren't TONS of arguments here with lots of bandwagon fans, but at the same time it does get a tad bit too green tinted. Rejecting any opposing viewpoint is kind of, well, ignorant. Far too often does somebody say something that goes against "oh my god, Oregon is the besssstttt" and get trashed for it when they have valid viewpoints.

I think the point about Boise State you made proves it. Outside of the Oregon fanbase and a few select others, there is TONS of respect for Boise. Have some of their players made hits that they shouldn't have? Yes. But at one point Oregon had the likes of J.D. Nelson roaming the defensive secondary making the same types of hits and yet nobody jumped all over us and trashed as a team for them. It's fairly obvious to me that since Oregon lost to Boise State the way we did, Oregon fans are just naturally inclined to hate on Boise State (go back and compared how we talked about Boise prior to playing them to after playing them last year) but to completely reject a viewpoint in favor of them is a completely homer move and to want somebody who even brings up those viewpoints to completely get out is just stupid.
Oh my friend, that is where you are wrong. I know for a fact that the Beavs can't stand them because of cheap hits, and Hawaii, and Wymoming, and Fresno, and Nevada.... Go to any of their boards and you will see. BSU is earning quite a reputation. I moved to Boise and the cheapshot reputation is a topic of regular debate here on the local radio. Most BSU fans think it is "physical" play. Quite a few think their team had better clean it up because they are embarrassed and understand that teams won't continue to play them if that reputation continues. Don't for one minute think is topic is only an Oregon point of view. It's not.
Supreme
Four Star Recruit

Post by Supreme »

UofDuck wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
UofDuck wrote:
I really think mindsets like this don't bode well.

Yes, this board is good because there aren't TONS of arguments here with lots of bandwagon fans, but at the same time it does get a tad bit too green tinted. Rejecting any opposing viewpoint is kind of, well, ignorant. Far too often does somebody say something that goes against "oh my god, Oregon is the besssstttt" and get trashed for it when they have valid viewpoints.

I think the point about Boise State you made proves it. Outside of the Oregon fanbase and a few select others, there is TONS of respect for Boise. Have some of their players made hits that they shouldn't have? Yes. But at one point Oregon had the likes of J.D. Nelson roaming the defensive secondary making the same types of hits and yet nobody jumped all over us and trashed as a team for them. It's fairly obvious to me that since Oregon lost to Boise State the way we did, Oregon fans are just naturally inclined to hate on Boise State (go back and compared how we talked about Boise prior to playing them to after playing them last year) but to completely reject a viewpoint in favor of them is a completely homer move and to want somebody who even brings up those viewpoints to completely get out is just stupid.
Oh my friend, that is where you are wrong. I know for a fact that the Beavs can't stand them because of cheap hits, and Hawaii, and Wymoming, and Fresno, and Nevada.... Go to any of their boards and you will see. BSU is earning quite a reputation. I moved to Boise and the cheapshot reputation is a topic of regular debate here on the local radio. Most BSU fans think it is "physical" play. Quite a few think their team had better clean it up because they are embarrassed and understand that teams won't continue to play them if that reputation continues. Don't for one minute think is topic is only an Oregon point of view. It's not.
You must really hate James Harrison. :shock:
Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot... But what of the man? I know his name was Guy Fawkes and I know, in 1605, he attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But who was he really? What was he like? We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed first hand the power of ideas. I've seen people kill in the name of them, and die defending them. But you cannot kiss an idea; cannot touch it, or hold it. Ideas do not bleed, they do not feel pain, they do not love... And it is not an idea that I miss //////// Follow me one Tumblr/blog http://f***-kp.tumblr.com/
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

If Bumi wants to come here and speak his mind, give his opinion, and state his thoughts on College Football, power to him. As Oregon fans, we've gotten a bad rap recently at how arrogant and stuck-up we are, spoiled by the newbies who jumped onto the bandwagon and can't remember even to 1999 or 2000 when UW, UCLA, and WSU were great teams and UO was just starting its rise up. Bumi's brings good insight from outside the Autzen beltway so why not have him here and argue with him? Makes us better informed.

Anyway, two cents from up here in Salem. I'll sit down now.
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

Oregonian wrote:Yes, this board is good because there aren't TONS of arguments here with lots of bandwagon fans, but at the same time it does get a tad bit too green tinted. Rejecting any opposing viewpoint is kind of, well, ignorant. Far too often does somebody say something that goes against "oh my god, Oregon is the besssstttt" and get trashed for it when they have valid viewpoints.
I can't speak for anyone else. But, I'm not rejecting Bumi's viewpoint. I'm not even really "rejecting" his presentation. It's not my position here to reject. However, I am critical of his approach and will explain why if it comes up as a subject.

I will add that it is kind of annoying that I'm trying to enjoy typical football conversations/debates on this board (and elsewhere actually) only to have him follow me around and derail those threads.
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I don't think it's Bumi's opinions that are turning people off. Its how he presents them. He talks about how objective he is & that we are major Oregon homers, SEC haters & can never be convinced otherwise. But he's no different in his opinions. He cannot be convinced to see our side either. He has no interest in learning anything or seeing the other side of an argument. He just likes to post something he knows the majority of us disagree with then tell us how wrong we are. Its condescending & really annoying.

Its a free country & I really have no prob with him posting. He's a good poster & always backs up his arguments. Its just annoying how he presents everything & thinks we're all so close minded when he's exactly the same just with the opposite opinion.
Exactly.

I don't mind if someone doesn't change their view after debates. But, it is annoying if you invest in demonstrating your point only to have the person give up with an insult. Then repeat that pattern over and over.
spinseeker wrote:He's obviously had different experiences that give him a different view point. As long as he continues to debate without resorting to name calling let's give him a break. Just ignore him if you like.
He hasn't called anyone poo-poo head yet. But, I would argue that his repeated insults aren't any different than name-calling. In my view, he's been doing this since day one.
spinseeker wrote:I don't see you guys hating on UO2010 and he's worse than Bumi, IMO, because he doesn't back up what he says with any facts and it seems like everything he says is anti-UO. Now I just try to ignore him and surprisingly I just move on to the next post and it doesn't affect my day in the least.
There's a big difference. uo2010 puts his opinions out there and lets people take them or leave them. He doesn't ask others to agree with him or be insulted. His positions may not be normal. But, his approach to putting them out there is.
hjpop wrote:If Bumi wants to come here and speak his mind, give his opinion, and state his thoughts on College Football, power to him. As Oregon fans, we've gotten a bad rap recently at how arrogant and stuck-up we are, spoiled by the newbies who jumped onto the bandwagon and can't remember even to 1999 or 2000 when UW, UCLA, and WSU were great teams and UO was just starting its rise up. Bumi's brings good insight from outside the Autzen beltway so why not have him here and argue with him? Makes us better informed.
Honestly, Bumi has yet to bring an argument to this board that I'm not already very familiar with and hasn't been argued by others in a more reasonable manner.

Nobody is going to give Oregon more points as a fan base for being ok with Bumi insulting people.
Supreme
Four Star Recruit

Post by Supreme »

wheaton4prez wrote:
Oregonian wrote:Yes, this board is good because there aren't TONS of arguments here with lots of bandwagon fans, but at the same time it does get a tad bit too green tinted. Rejecting any opposing viewpoint is kind of, well, ignorant. Far too often does somebody say something that goes against "oh my god, Oregon is the besssstttt" and get trashed for it when they have valid viewpoints.
I can't speak for anyone else. But, I'm not rejecting Bumi's viewpoint. I'm not even really "rejecting" his presentation. It's not my position here to reject. However, I am critical of his approach and will explain why if it comes up as a subject.

I will add that it is kind of annoying that I'm trying to enjoy typical football conversations/debates on this board (and elsewhere actually) only to have him follow me around and derail those threads.
dthomas=ddixon wrote:I don't think it's Bumi's opinions that are turning people off. Its how he presents them. He talks about how objective he is & that we are major Oregon homers, SEC haters & can never be convinced otherwise. But he's no different in his opinions. He cannot be convinced to see our side either. He has no interest in learning anything or seeing the other side of an argument. He just likes to post something he knows the majority of us disagree with then tell us how wrong we are. Its condescending & really annoying.

Its a free country & I really have no prob with him posting. He's a good poster & always backs up his arguments. Its just annoying how he presents everything & thinks we're all so close minded when he's exactly the same just with the opposite opinion.
Exactly.

I don't mind if someone doesn't change their view after debates. But, it is annoying if you invest in demonstrating your point only to have the person give up with an insult. Then repeat that pattern over and over.
spinseeker wrote:He's obviously had different experiences that give him a different view point. As long as he continues to debate without resorting to name calling let's give him a break. Just ignore him if you like.
He hasn't called anyone poo-poo head yet. But, I would argue that his repeated insults aren't any different than name-calling. In my view, he's been doing this since day one.
spinseeker wrote:I don't see you guys hating on UO2010 and he's worse than Bumi, IMO, because he doesn't back up what he says with any facts and it seems like everything he says is anti-UO. Now I just try to ignore him and surprisingly I just move on to the next post and it doesn't affect my day in the least.
There's a big difference. uo2010 puts his opinions out there and lets people take them or leave them. He doesn't ask others to agree with him or be insulted. His positions may not be normal. But, his approach to putting them out there is.
hjpop wrote:If Bumi wants to come here and speak his mind, give his opinion, and state his thoughts on College Football, power to him. As Oregon fans, we've gotten a bad rap recently at how arrogant and stuck-up we are, spoiled by the newbies who jumped onto the bandwagon and can't remember even to 1999 or 2000 when UW, UCLA, and WSU were great teams and UO was just starting its rise up. Bumi's brings good insight from outside the Autzen beltway so why not have him here and argue with him? Makes us better informed.
Honestly, Bumi has yet to bring an argument to this board that I'm not already very familiar with and hasn't been argued by others in a more reasonable manner.

Nobody is going to give Oregon more points as a fan base for being ok with Bumi insulting people.
Ok Wheat. Everybody gets it. Thanks again.
Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot... But what of the man? I know his name was Guy Fawkes and I know, in 1605, he attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But who was he really? What was he like? We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed first hand the power of ideas. I've seen people kill in the name of them, and die defending them. But you cannot kiss an idea; cannot touch it, or hold it. Ideas do not bleed, they do not feel pain, they do not love... And it is not an idea that I miss //////// Follow me one Tumblr/blog http://f***-kp.tumblr.com/
spinseeker
Freshman

Post by spinseeker »

Bumi wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:

Exactly.

OK Bumi, stop following him. ;) There is at least a few other active threads on here that you could respond to without stepping on Wheaton's toes. :roll:

ImageCome on Wheaton, I'm only kidding. Mostly. I read most of the threads on here and it doesn't seem to me like he's following anyone. I do notice he responds more to certain types of threads. It could just be coincidence.
ImageImage
Can't we all just get along?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

spinseeker wrote:
Bumi wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:

Exactly.

OK Bumi, stop following him. ;) There is at least a few other active threads on here that you could respond to without stepping on Wheaton's toes. :roll:

ImageCome on Wheaton, I'm only kidding. Mostly. I read most of the threads on here and it doesn't seem to me like he's following anyone. I do notice he responds more to certain types of threads. It could just be coincidence.
ImageImage
Can't we all just get along?
I have no problem with Bumi since he brings another point of view that most us don't consider. He's somewhat of a new Duck fan so he's going to have some love for some other schools that we wouldn't consider being fans of. He's going to be attending Oregon so I have nothing against him.
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I agree entirely with wheaton. It's one thing to have a differing view, and argue it. It's another when you claim to "win arguments" by merely calling the other person wrong and ending any further discussion at that.
rodentslayer
One Star Recruit

Post by rodentslayer »

Personally, I think Bumi's argumentative, condescending tone is a huge turnoff, regardless of what he/she is trying to say. The "whatever, dude" crap is tired, old and played out. Talk football. Don't talk s***.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Good points made by everyone. I think we can all move on now and focus on bigger things. :)
shear_j
Four Star Recruit

Post by shear_j »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzhiD_rzCC8

Bumi, Wheaton, Duckgrad...this ones for you
uofo627
One Star Recruit

Post by uofo627 »

goducks75 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
UofDuck wrote:Bumi, I have tried to have your back in past posts, but your over-the-top love fest of the SEC and unwillingness to open your eyes to a real issue with Boise State's cheap shots doesnt bode well here. Most of us are actually real Dux fans, not just Johnny-come-lately. You can spin your SEC/BSU love fest anyway you want, but it is blind and not accepted here.

PS, don't be a punk and mess with Wheaton. He is solid and level headed. It's time to show some respect, but not sure that is what you are really about. As far as some of you falling in love with the likes of Bumi's attitude, take it elsewhere. This has been the best boards for a long time now and I hate to see it overrun by the likes of SEC/BSU homers who are now Oregon bandwagoners. The very fact that Bumi shows up out of nowhere and now recently wants to love the ducks when the SEC is down speaks volumes. Can you say frontrunner? Every few years guys like this find new teams to cheer for.
Ok.

Which dorms should I apply for?
Start with Barnhart (good luck getting in there because that's the athlete dorm), then go with LLC/Carson, Hamilton/Walton/Earl, Bean (in that order. Bean is the worst dorm on campus). But as of 4 years ago when I was applying, you could only apply for room types (Single, Double, Enhanced Double, etc.) so go for the bigger rooms if you can because that fits more with Barnhart/LLC/Carson (the three biggest dorms). I got Carson which wasn't bad at all.
(This is actually assuming you want to know how to apply for housing.)

Barnhart is not in that high of a demand because it is so far away from campus. If you do not mind the walk, then barnhart is the best room, but you do not make as many close friends because people tend to keep to their rooms. I was in LLC last year and loved it; the rooms were spacious and I made tons of friends. Don't let anyone tell you that Hamilton or Bean are bad. The rooms are small and the showers have almost no privacy, but everyone who is in them absolutely loved it last year. The bond you make when you are (literally) that close with someone is unlike anything you will experience. Here is how you get the dorm you want, since you can't request a specific building:

Bean, Hamilton, Earl, Walton: Request a normal double room, with a collegiate style hall.
LLC, Carson: Enhanced Double with collegiate style hall
Riley: Enhanced Double with sink, since Riley is the only dorm that has sinks in the rooms.
Barnhart: Deluxe double.

As a warning, people generally regretted joining the specialty halls, such as international, music, or wellness.

More people transfer out of Barnhart or Riley than any other dorm.
Supreme
Four Star Recruit

Post by Supreme »

^

What about apartments vs. Dorms in the area, what would you suggest as far as that's concerned?
uofo627
One Star Recruit

Post by uofo627 »

Bumi wrote:^

What about apartments vs. Dorms in the area, what would you suggest as far as that's concerned?
You don't meet nearly as many people when you live in an apartment as a freshman, unless you join a fraternity. Even then living in the dorms is a once in a lifetime experience. I can't really describe it, but the fun you have in the dorms is different than anything else. It's just f**king awesome, lets put it that way haha. Although having a friend with an apartment you can consistently party at is always nice...