Where Do We Go From Here?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gofightingducks
All Pac-12
Posts: 5533
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by gofightingducks »

Elduderino wrote:
gofightingducks wrote: The Ducks lost not because of lack of execution or bad defense but because of terrible play calling, it is hard to execute something that your team is not designed for (Masoli dropping back and passing). This loss is on Kelly, he had all off season to prepare a gameplan.
I agreed with your post until this point. If you really think this team executed properly last night.......you are flat out crazy. The gameplan may not have been the greatest, but we'll never know. The big coaching mistake, as you note, was abandoning the gameplan and trying to throw our way back. That being said, there was 0 execution on the players part. I'm sorry but Kelly absolutely, positively, does not get all the blame for this.
I agree with the players not executing because they didn't but I don't think they had much of an opportunity to execute with the plays that were called. I firmly believe had the play calling been what it was the last 3 games of last season the execution would have been much better. Masoli's passing would have probably been better had he had the opportunity to run more early instead of throwing so much in the beginning. I would have run LMJ more to begin with and Blount later just like what they did with JJ and Blount last season. I would have run more misdirection, etc. and taken advantage of LMJ, Barner, Hollands speed. I just don't understand why you would try to fix something that is not broken. I understand the O-line didn't give Masoli much protection or open holes for the RB's but I think the Ducks should have tried to establish a running game early not only with the RB's but with Masoli as well instead of passing so much to begin with. The play calling was no where near what it was last year when the team was successful. The players are to blame for the loss because they are the ones that play the game not the coaches but because the coaches didn't give them anything good to work with ultimately this falls on the coaches because they had so much time to prepare the players and they did a poor job.
User avatar
Elduderino
Senior
Posts: 2242
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 pm
Location: CA

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by Elduderino »

gofightingducks wrote:
Elduderino wrote:
gofightingducks wrote: The Ducks lost not because of lack of execution or bad defense but because of terrible play calling, it is hard to execute something that your team is not designed for (Masoli dropping back and passing). This loss is on Kelly, he had all off season to prepare a gameplan.
I agreed with your post until this point. If you really think this team executed properly last night.......you are flat out crazy. The gameplan may not have been the greatest, but we'll never know. The big coaching mistake, as you note, was abandoning the gameplan and trying to throw our way back. That being said, there was 0 execution on the players part. I'm sorry but Kelly absolutely, positively, does not get all the blame for this.
I agree with the players not executing because they didn't but I don't think they had much of an opportunity to execute with the plays that were called. I firmly believe had the play calling been what it was the last 3 games of last season the execution would have been much better. Masoli's passing would have probably been better had he had the opportunity to run more early instead of throwing so much in the beginning. I would have run LMJ more to begin with and Blount later just like what they did with JJ and Blount last season. I would have run more misdirection, etc. and taken advantage of LMJ, Barner, Hollands speed. I just don't understand why you would try to fix something that is not broken. I understand the O-line didn't give Masoli much protection or open holes for the RB's but I think the Ducks should have tried to establish a running game early not only with the RB's but with Masoli as well instead of passing so much to begin with. The play calling was no where near what it was last year when the team was successful. The players are to blame for the loss because they are the ones that play the game not the coaches but because the coaches didn't give them anything good to work with ultimately this falls on the coaches because they had so much time to prepare the players and they did a poor job.


Fair enough. In principle I think we agree, players didn't execute, mistakes in gameplans/coaching. Only one way to go though!
AKA: CAgrown
gofightingducks
All Pac-12
Posts: 5533
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by gofightingducks »

Yep both the players and coaches need to do much better if the Ducks want to go to have a winning season and go to a bowl game.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 am

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by Greydrake »

Kelly may be best served being upstairs to observe the game and do the play calling. I doubt there is a better set of eyes and analysis for in game adaption and adjustments on the offense side of things. Turn sideline management over to someone else since from what I observed there was bad confusion there besides especially on the defense side of the ball. Players were coming in late and out of position constantly.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 979
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:23 am

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by freedjr »

snapt wrote:Get back to basics. Run the read option. Spread the ball in the air. End of last year the receivers did an excellent job sitting in space in zone D. Boise did a good job of that tonight. I was disappointed with the DT's getting pushed into the second level. Also vibes to TJ, hopefully by some miracle his career isn't over.
Agree 100%. I would also like to see Kelly in the booth, and Ed Dickson get the ball more. Also, go for 5 yard outs. It seemed like very pass was trying for 20+ yards.
User avatar
wheaton4prez
Senior
Posts: 3568
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by wheaton4prez »

I'm questioning whether or not the whole "speed at all costs" philosophy works out in practice. It sounds good in theory. But, maybe the players can retain more and establish more poise if things are slowed down a little. Things just looked rushed and panicky at times.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39228
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by greenyellow »

wheaton4prez wrote:I'm questioning whether or not the whole "speed at all costs" philosophy works out in practice. It sounds good in theory. But, maybe the players can retain more and establish more poise if things are slowed down a little. Things just looked rushed and panicky at times.
I'm also beginning to wonder if this fast practice thing is actually working. The results (small as they may be) so far have proven it hasn't worked. The practice schedule under Bellotti was slower than Kelly but they didn't seem to gloss over anything. I think in practicing really fast that Kelly and the staff don't have enough time to react, think, and teach the players the correct ways in doing things.
Image
uodux1212
Senior
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by uodux1212 »

greenyellow wrote:
wheaton4prez wrote:I'm questioning whether or not the whole "speed at all costs" philosophy works out in practice. It sounds good in theory. But, maybe the players can retain more and establish more poise if things are slowed down a little. Things just looked rushed and panicky at times.
I'm also beginning to wonder if this fast practice thing is actually working. The results (small as they may be) so far have proven it hasn't worked. The practice schedule under Bellotti was slower than Kelly but they didn't seem to gloss over anything. I think in practicing really fast that Kelly and the staff don't have enough time to react, think, and teach the players the correct ways in doing things.
Can we give it/CK more than one game?!? Jeez... :roll:
Image

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
bigfootlebowski
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by bigfootlebowski »

Don't jump ship on Masoli yet. Here is the thing the offense was humming when we had an experienced O-line, receivers, and JJ in the backfield for the early part of the game. We don't have that now and our most talented recievers are not yet ready to take the field, the Oline has a lot of work to do. If you watched us versus USC last year it was obvious you could stop Blount if you got to him early and shut him down. So even if Blount somehow returned I would still suggest we go to a quicker back for the early part of the game.

Lets wait and see how Masoli and the team responds to this.
User avatar
lukeyrid13
All-American
Posts: 10475
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I predicted every play that we did. When we ran read to Blount I knew it was coming or a screen to Maehl. I called almost every play, if I can do that you bet Wilcox knew what was coming. Terrible play calling. Excellent D though condsidering they played 45 minutes they only gave up 350 yards. Had our O been even decent and time of possession been 50/50 they would have given up little over 200 yards
User avatar
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by midwestduck82 »

Chip Kelly was brainwashed by aliens. He only could remember a few plays and they were all ridiculus passing plays until he rememberd how to run the ball. Unfortunately at that time it was 3rd & 18.

What happened to the offense. I think they forgot the point of the game was to get the ball to the otherside of the field and not the sideline. It seemed like every play was directed at the sideline or the opposite endzone.

What happened to big Ed D. We have one of the best TEs in the country and we come out with four wide receivers most of the time. We should mix in some double tights and throw in Dion Jordan.

I want our offense to be more fundamental than gimic.

Run the ball more. Open up some passing lanes...quit forcing the ball. This team is to good to be wasted with horrible play calls and lack of execution and direction. Hopefully Chip can get everything together by next week.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39228
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by greenyellow »

I think we are just trying to find any reason as to why the team performed so poorly. It could also not be Kelly's fault as much as we think and we just don't have the talent to compete like we did last year. I knew there would be some kind of drop-off from last year due to the talent loss but I didn't think it would be so drastic. Last year's senior class made up a large part of the starters and key performers and it seems like the depth to replace them just isn't there.
Image
bigfootlebowski
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by bigfootlebowski »

We still have talent but we lost experienced talent and potential starters defected (pflu, harper, celletto).

Our entire scheme for winning is based on running a fast offense and getting the D on their heals, if we can't get first downs our entire scheme falls apart like it did last night. I think we will get it going sometime during the year, Kelly is too smart and hardworking not to get the O going, hopefully its before too many losses.
User avatar
Canard
One Star Recruit
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by Canard »

Here are my takes:

We needed a bodybag game worse than anyone in the Pac and we don't have one until Wazzu possibly.

Masoli was garbage last night. To me, the game plan seemed to be a recycled version of the CW one. Bet that they are going to make Masoli beat them throwing, so take that and throw it. Masoli was sharp against the beavises and anything but against the Broncos.

No one else is responsible for Masoli's lock on infatuation with Maehl down the right sideline early in the game. The middle was open all night. Paulson proved it. Holland sort of proved it. Masoli didn't make them pay in the first half.

With Boise keying on Blount, perhaps Blount shouldn't have been getting reps, but LMJ should have. That will happen now, for better or worse. Blount took too long to get a head of steam going, always has, but he looked out of shape last night. Doesn't matter now.

Masoli's zone read game was atrocious. Several times the entire Boise D was obviously eager to crash down on Blount and Masoli gave it to him anyways. That's not the hallmark of an upperclassman. I would have hooked Masoli at the half and gave Costa a try.

Jackson Rice is a weapon. Player of the game.

The D played adequately for being on the field for the insane amount of time they played. I resist calling them soft, or poorly coached when they had to be gassed, which leads to mistakes. I like that they never gave up and that Moore is probably the most accurate QB we will face all season. Now he is out of the way.

The play calling has to improve, a thing totally within our control. The O-line will get better since 3/5ths of it allegedly knows what it is doing, so the rest will come around.

But last night was 50% Chip not being daring and 50% Masoli playing like he'd never started before.

The test is how they come out at home next Saturday. If it looks like Purdue game from last season against their new QB and HC, oh boy it will be a long year.

I figure if worse comes to worse, Phil will buy Petersen and Wilcox. Phil was pretty chummy with Petersen in the pregame last night.
Image
SEC "Football" —Must See TV according to ESPN
User avatar
brich75
Senior
Posts: 4054
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Where Do We Go From Here?

Post by brich75 »

Where do we go from here? I think the only place we can go is up!!
Image
Post Reply