http://scoutingthesports.com/?p=3988
by Jeff Spiegel
This is exactly how I feel about the situation and with out knowing Blount I pretty pissed off with how he is being perceived!
GO DUCKS!!
Great Blog on "the incedent" last weeek!
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
- briarduck
- Senior
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:55 am
- Location: Milwaukie OR
Great Blog on "the incedent" last weeek!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
- wheaton4prez
- Senior
- Posts: 3568
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 pm
Re: Great Blog on "the incedent" last weeek!
A well reasoned perspective. Thank you for the link.
Some people seem to have bought into this weird dynamic where fans can behave in a way that would be completely unacceptable in normal every day life. But, in response, athletes are supposed to behave better than most people would in similar situations. Isn't that how we think of caged pets? The double-standard is disturbing to me.
There's been a lot of talk about how Blount would have been arrested if this happened on the street. Wrong. If this happened on the street, Hout would have been beat up more badly than he was and most likely, nobody would have pressed any charges. People who start fights and then get their butts beat don't typically go to the police about it.
And if anyone was walking down the street and saw a mob of people harrassing an individual with racial slurs, etc. would they find it objectionable that that person smacked one or a few of them down? I doubt it. I sure wouldn't.
The supposedly horrendous "hitting his own player"? Happens ALL the time at practice. Ask the guy that was actually hit in this case. According to Embry, it "happens every day. It's football."
Some people seem to have bought into this weird dynamic where fans can behave in a way that would be completely unacceptable in normal every day life. But, in response, athletes are supposed to behave better than most people would in similar situations. Isn't that how we think of caged pets? The double-standard is disturbing to me.
There's been a lot of talk about how Blount would have been arrested if this happened on the street. Wrong. If this happened on the street, Hout would have been beat up more badly than he was and most likely, nobody would have pressed any charges. People who start fights and then get their butts beat don't typically go to the police about it.
And if anyone was walking down the street and saw a mob of people harrassing an individual with racial slurs, etc. would they find it objectionable that that person smacked one or a few of them down? I doubt it. I sure wouldn't.
The supposedly horrendous "hitting his own player"? Happens ALL the time at practice. Ask the guy that was actually hit in this case. According to Embry, it "happens every day. It's football."
-
freedjr
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 979
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:23 am
Re: Great Blog on "the incedent" last weeek!
It is a great take. And it's funny what he was saying about the DUI because I was just talking about that with a friend.
Wheaton, I agree it's a crappy double standard with the athlete/fan interaction, but unfortunately that's just the way it is. Especially after Ron Artest, it seems especially important for athletes to suck it up. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is. I think security should do something about it though. If someone was taunting me at work (even calling me the n-word), I would call our safety guys to take care of it and eventually the police. And you better believe I would press all the charges I could. It would take all of my self control not to do anything else, but if I punched them, I would be shown the door so fast my head would spin regardless of what he said.
I think the two biggest mistakes was the fact that it was on live TV and he did go after fans. If it was just one punch on FSN, I see a few games, lots of community service, and serious running drills. Unfortunately, it was perfect storm.
Wheaton, I agree it's a crappy double standard with the athlete/fan interaction, but unfortunately that's just the way it is. Especially after Ron Artest, it seems especially important for athletes to suck it up. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is. I think security should do something about it though. If someone was taunting me at work (even calling me the n-word), I would call our safety guys to take care of it and eventually the police. And you better believe I would press all the charges I could. It would take all of my self control not to do anything else, but if I punched them, I would be shown the door so fast my head would spin regardless of what he said.
I think the two biggest mistakes was the fact that it was on live TV and he did go after fans. If it was just one punch on FSN, I see a few games, lots of community service, and serious running drills. Unfortunately, it was perfect storm.