Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
-
slammer
- Two Star Recruit
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 am
Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
we want to even have a slight chance at a BIG Bowl game!!! We have two high ranked opponents coming in to autzen the next two weeks and i think we can turn this season around and get back some national respectability!!!! Bottom line, we have to beat Cal to have any chance of winning the Pac-10! Thoughts?
- echo31
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
- Location: Portland
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.

-
hjpop
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 pm
- Location: Salem, OR
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
It's best if we do what MB did and take it one game at a time (cliche, I know, but it works!) Don't look ahead at Cal over Utah just because it's an OOC game, it's Utah, it's a chance to wipe some dirt off our face after BSU, and it gives our program a chance to show up. We may well lose but if we do well, and it's hard to say we can't after BSU, we'll start the momentum. Masoli and the team sucked in the middle of the season so this may well be our hump before we start rising. We probably won't challenge USC for the Pac-10 and may drop to 8-4 or 7-5 but it's time and miles under Kelly's belt for something greater. A "Big Bowl" game? Any bowl game you go to is big, take it from a former Hawaii fan who sat through a 0-13 season! Seeing Oregon play in the Aloha Bowl in 1998 was a treat!echo31 wrote:You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.
-
duck55
- Senior
- Posts: 2157
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: Keizer OR
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
How do we know this team "is nowhere near ready to beat Cal"? Who have they played? Eastern Washington is no Boise State, Wazzou could beat them (EWU)even if they had 4 ints & 7 fumbles like they (WSU) did @ Hawaii. That is why we play one game at a time.echo31 wrote:You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.
- UOducksTK1
- Site Admin

- Posts: 40581
- Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
- GM: Boston Celtics GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
I'd be fine with a win against Utah and a loss to Cal.
Right now, we're severely overmatched by Cal. Winning both these games would be huge, and would put us back on the right track, but I think it's a stretch..
Right now, we're severely overmatched by Cal. Winning both these games would be huge, and would put us back on the right track, but I think it's a stretch..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
- echo31
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
- Location: Portland
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
Call it a hunch, or just look at Cal's team and realize that they returned almost all of their starters from last year ... and they were really good last year. Obviously in football, anything goes, but if you don't think that Cal is leaps and bounds better than Purdue, I will not hesitate in saying that you are mistaken.duck55 wrote:How do we know this team "is nowhere near ready to beat Cal"? Who have they played? Eastern Washington is no Boise State, Wazzou could beat them (EWU)even if they had 4 ints & 7 fumbles like they (WSU) did @ Hawaii. That is why we play one game at a time.echo31 wrote:You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.

-
uodux1212
- Senior
- Posts: 3965
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:44 pm
- Location: Portland, OR
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
Eyeball test... having watched both Cal and Oregon play, Cal looks heads and shoulders above us... have they played inferior talent?!? Yes, but still.... just look, watch... not that hard to tell...duck55 wrote:How do we know this team "is nowhere near ready to beat Cal"? Who have they played? Eastern Washington is no Boise State, Wazzou could beat them (EWU)even if they had 4 ints & 7 fumbles like they (WSU) did @ Hawaii. That is why we play one game at a time.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly
“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
-
duck55
- Senior
- Posts: 2157
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
- Location: Keizer OR
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
"Call it a hunch, or just look at Cal's team and realize that they returned almost all of their starters from last year ... and they were really good last year. Obviously in football, anything goes, but if you don't think that Cal is leaps and bounds better than Purdue, I will not hesitate in saying that you are mistaken."
I would agree that Cal is better than Purdue but my point is that I've seen Cal as the better team choke many times. How many times in the Oregon-Cal series have we seen the better team lose? If Oregon had no talant or potential I might not be so optomistic but I don't look ahead 2 weeks & expect a loss. I doubt Arizona & UCLA expected to beat us in 2007 but we know how that turned out.
I would agree that Cal is better than Purdue but my point is that I've seen Cal as the better team choke many times. How many times in the Oregon-Cal series have we seen the better team lose? If Oregon had no talant or potential I might not be so optomistic but I don't look ahead 2 weeks & expect a loss. I doubt Arizona & UCLA expected to beat us in 2007 but we know how that turned out.
- echo31
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
- Location: Portland
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
Well ok, I will give you the fact that it is still a while until that game. Maybe Best gets injured and bunch of guys on the Cal team come down with a bad case of Swine Flu before then. Who knows.duck55 wrote:"Call it a hunch, or just look at Cal's team and realize that they returned almost all of their starters from last year ... and they were really good last year. Obviously in football, anything goes, but if you don't think that Cal is leaps and bounds better than Purdue, I will not hesitate in saying that you are mistaken."
I would agree that Cal is better than Purdue but my point is that I've seen Cal as the better team choke many times. How many times in the Oregon-Cal series have we seen the better team lose? If Oregon had no talant or potential I might not be so optomistic but I don't look ahead 2 weeks & expect a loss. I doubt Arizona & UCLA expected to beat us in 2007 but we know how that turned out.
My point is, Cal is clicking and firing on all cylinders. The Ducks are sputtering and trying to find consistency.

-
woundedknees
- All-American
- Posts: 12821
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
That's why they play the games...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!


-
GoDucksIn09
- Senior
- Posts: 3086
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
I may be a true pessimist but this is just my hunch for the next two weeks. I would love to see Oregon winning both games just like everybody here. The reality is though just looking at our beloved ducks and only our ducks we are nowhere near where Cal is/was last year not to mention this year. I dont evens ee us beating Utah. I am picking Utah by 11. Cal will probably win by 24. This is based on an offense that looks really young in its line. They do not protect Masoli very well they high snap the ball. The defense is inconsitent at best. They make great plays at times but do not close the door allowing teams to come back. They lack the kilelr instinct. Our special teams looked good minus the penalties last week. The penalties hopefully can resolve. I want our ducks to win and would be ecstatic to win one or both of the next 2 games. I just simply do not see it happening.
-
northbeachsf
- Freshman
- Posts: 1494
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
Almost agree. Utah will be close (within 3 or so) and could go either way. Cal by 24 is probably right on.GoDucksIn09 wrote:I may be a true pessimist but this is just my hunch for the next two weeks. I would love to see Oregon winning both games just like everybody here. The reality is though just looking at our beloved ducks and only our ducks we are nowhere near where Cal is/was last year not to mention this year. I dont evens ee us beating Utah. I am picking Utah by 11. Cal will probably win by 24. This is based on an offense that looks really young in its line. They do not protect Masoli very well they high snap the ball. The defense is inconsitent at best. They make great plays at times but do not close the door allowing teams to come back. They lack the kilelr instinct. Our special teams looked good minus the penalties last week. The penalties hopefully can resolve. I want our ducks to win and would be ecstatic to win one or both of the next 2 games. I just simply do not see it happening.
- OreDucks01284
- Senior
- Posts: 3635
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm
- Location: Salem, Oregon
Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .
i get this feeling that we might have repeat win and loss like last year, Loss to boise state, Cal and usc. Win the rest of game including Utah and bowl game.
