OrTDuck wrote:Duckenstein wrote:OregonFan4Life wrote:Tomorrow is my birthday, so I'd love a nice birthday gift from a surprise 5 star recruit, one can hope right?
Aren't Ty Thompson and Kingsley Saumataia 5 stars?
I wouldn't get my hopes up for a big new fish, the ones we are still in on are all signing in the winter
A quick scan of the lists shows:
247 gives 34 "five stars" in it's "composite". Oregon has #35, #36, and #39, so, oh so very close. In its own top 247, it has 12 "five stars", Oregon's at #28, #49, #62.
For comparison, Rivals has 26 "five stars" and Oregon has two of them (#9, #23) as well as #28. ESPN has 13, and (keeping up with tradition) has Oregon's top recruits at #58, #65, #69.
Really lots of differing opinions. Personally I like to look at the 247 composite and look at top 50, then top 300, then 300-900. The early commits include: 3 top 50, 14 top 300, and all 21 in the top 780. As has been discussed, really an excellent class in terms of landing great prospects.
Good overview TDuck.
ESPN rankings are almost useless to me. I don’t think they should be part of the composite anymore, but since 247 absorbed Scout they still need three. ESPN used to be decent although still bad: 247 had Mariota as a 4-star and they’re the ones who had him as a 2-star. Colt Lyerla was a 3-star, Arik Armstead was a 4-star while being #2 overall on another site, Dillon Mitchell was one of our lower commits one year on ESPN. What happened is they had been laying off their recruiting people for years and now I think they only have one or maybe two guys doing the whole thing.
I prefer the composite, or just combining Rivals and 247’s in house rankings. Both have their biases. Or they just make up a ranking, like the fake recruit on twitter who kept getting offers and Rivals made him a page and ranked him. I’ve been working on something with Rivals recruiting head and I’ve been tempted to ask about that. I won’t so I don’t look like a dick. While 247 is best overall they tend to ignore a lot of west coast guys - I think it’s to pander to their bigger SEC subscription base.
Troy Franklin was a composite 5-star, he got dropped a few spots. Must have really disappointed in his non-existent senior season.