Dream Finish

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

StevensTechU wrote:Jimmy, I think the names you highlighted would make the most sense, except maybe Anderson (I'll explain).

After signing a big OL class in '21, I haven't understood the Lewis offer since the beginning. The Ducks will have to replace George Moore next year, but Kingsley seems to already be ready to do that and Bram Walden, Jaylan Jeffers and Faaope are there for depth. The next season when Steven Jones leaves, you anticipate one of those three guys will be ready to start, and 5-star Kelvin Banks will be in year 2. So I think if he's not a surefire all-american, you don't take him.

Winston plays a position of need (Edge) but he just isn't that athletically gifted. I think if I was rating the commitments, he'd probably come in last. I think his best chance to make a splash at the collegiate level is to add weight to his already big frame and play inside on the line. Who knows if he can do that or if he wants to do that.

Anderson or Setagna would be the receivers I would be most likely to cut. Setagna has a different skill set than the others as more of a speed guy, but cutting Anderson could have a domino effect since he plays at powerhouse Katy HS (TX) and I believe has some connection with the other Texas commitments (Banks, Johnson). So that's a tricky position.

The only other 'fat' I think you could trim, potentially, is Andre Dollars. After signing 2 TEs in 2021 who both look like contributors, having Spencer Webb for at least two more years, and having Herbert for 3 more, I don't think you have to take a tight end in this class. I also haven't seen any video in him later than his sophomore highlights, so I don't know how good he is.

Hard to see much else that you can cut outside of those options. It's a really good class.
Thanks for the analysis! I agree with you. I am curious to see what happens with Dollar (TE). We dont hear much from him or about him. I also could see them passing on Winston. Lewis seems like he’ll stay East.

Conerly, as of now, seems to be either washington or Michigan
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4985
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by Phalanx »

jimmy12 wrote:You cant go over 25. That’s a rule.

Right, I know, since 2011. My question is that if this class is not projected to go over 25 (currently at 18, with maybe 3 or 4 that are projected with confidence), then why would we need to shed players from it? Wouldn't transfers from other classes do just as well, since the issue is actually the 85-scholarship limit? Also, is that even a limit right now with the special Covid rules?
User avatar
lukeyrid13
All-American
Posts: 10475
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Dream Finish

Post by lukeyrid13 »

The 85 limit is in effect again now and will play a big factor next year. We will need 8-10 guys to transfer after this season.

As for this class, there's been talk that the staff has cooled on Dollars and Winston and may be looking to push them out. We are getting to be tight on spots with 25 this year so I can see that. Especially because you'd ideally keep 2-3 spots open for the transfer portal as well. We have 1 extra counter from this past year, so we can conceivably take as many as 26 and back count 1. No matter what, we will sadly need to force out a lot of guys after this season.
User avatar
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by Quietduck »

Unless they are in the SEC. Anyone wants to see if the SEC reduces the in conference games to 7 so the powerhouses they have don't have to play each other and they can schedule more cupcakes every other week.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

The trick to get around the scholarship limit is just go the BYU route and pay for walk-ons' tuition via endorsements since they can take NIL money. Boom, problem solved.
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11004
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: Dream Finish

Post by buckmarkduck »

Looks like the 25 limit is about to get changed. So no need to find a work around. I’m sure Saban winked enough to the ncaa to get them to change it.

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/statu ... 41926?s=21
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

Crazy!
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4985
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by Phalanx »

Haven't seen anything here about this, but it looks like Oregon has offered a 1st Team All-American JUCO DB who has offers from a bunch of other western schools, including the Huskies.

https://twitter.com/KeionteS/status/1429855462426484747

Not sure what this means for Dent - would they take four corners?
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

Phalanx wrote:Haven't seen anything here about this, but it looks like Oregon has offered a 1st Team All-American JUCO DB who has offers from a bunch of other western schools, including the Huskies.

https://twitter.com/KeionteS/status/1429855462426484747

Not sure what this means for Dent - would they take four corners?
Right now, they're just short on bodies in the defensive backfield. Dent will almost assuredly be a college safety (doesn't hurt that he can cover like a corner). Scott will be able to play either corner or safety, as well. With Mykael and possibly McKinley leaving after this year, there isn't a whole lot of maturity left among the DBs and it makes sense to me that they are targeting a safety. I'm really happy they opted to go with Scott. Oregon's really going after all the San Diego kids.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

Commit List: 19 Total-- 6 spots left
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Se ... l/Commits/

Names to keep an eye on:

4*-5* Moss- Edge https://247sports.com/player/cyrus-moss-46056265/
4*-5* Lucas- DL https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Lucas-46097888/
4* Jackson - LB https://247sports.com/Player/Devon-Jackson-46098692/
4* Ben Roberts: DL https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Roberts-46111620/
5*: Conerly OL: https://247sports.com/player/josh-conerly-jr-46057420/
5* Coleman WR: https://247sports.com/player/kevin-coleman-46058557/
3* Dent- DB https://247sports.com/player/damani-dent-46115775/
Unrated Keionte Scott DB: (JC) https://247sports.com/Player/Keionte-Scott-46116368/


There is talk that 2-3 on the current list will not be part of this class. Three names mentioned as possible de-commits: (not definitive -- just rumor)

LB Emar'rion Winston (Commit Date: 7/16/20)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/EmarrionW
Scouting Profile: https://247sports.com/Player/Emarrion-Winston-46082442

TE Andre Dollar (Commit Date: 9/15/20)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreDollar9
Scouting Profile: https://247sports.com/Player/Andre-Dollar-46086432

OL Percy Lewis (Commit Date: 3/2/21)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/percylewis14
Scouting Profile: https://247sports.com/player/percy-lewis-46110457

How would you feel about this class?
Last edited by jimmy12 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

Add Keionte Scott (JUCO DB) to that list of names to keep an eye on. He just picked up an Oregon offer and I'd be surprised if we didn't lead.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

StevensTechU wrote:Add Keionte Scott (JUCO DB) to that list of names to keep an eye on. He just picked up an Oregon offer and I'd be surprised if we didn't lead.

made the addition above
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by ducks5ever »

I know this is controversial but if we really get tight on spots, should we let the QB Bailey walk? He's in a Butterfield case where he is talented but I'm pretty sure he is not made for the offense Moorehead is trying to run here. I'm guessing at least 1 QB will transfer after this season (probably Butterfield) leaving us with 2 playable QB's left on the roster. That's thin but I'm not sure if Bailey is the right guy if we're trying to optimize the roster here.
whosyourwally
Freshman
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Dream Finish

Post by whosyourwally »

I think what’s controversial is the idea of pushing kids out that we’ve allowed to commit. That’s a garbage thing to do. We hate on kids that back away from a commitment; when it’s a school doing it, what’s that say about the leadership. Hard pass on coaches that act like they are all about their players and then push them out when something more shiny comes along. Cristobal hasn’t done it yet that I know of, so I’m not ragging on him, but I really don’t want to blindly accept that that’s just something big time programs have to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Cristobal has no qualms with helping kids find a better fit. We saw it last year with Jonathan Flowe being eligible and the kid from Alabama going to UCLA, Burkhalter. Maybe it was mutual. Maybe it’s Maybeline.

I agree pulling the rug out from under kids isn’t cool, look at what Herm has done at Arizona State - super unethical. But there are conditions to that scholarship offer. Perform in the classroom, field, and don’t attempt to murder anyone. Succeed in the first two, don’t in the murder one.

As for Dollars, I think his stock fell because he sat out last season. He’s expected to be really food this year. We have two good freshman TEs, Herbert is an unknown. You have to think about 2023 and beyond. Same with Bailey, you have to take a QB every year and I like him better than most it seems. Percy Lewis was a fragile commit. I’m not a huge Nicholas Anderson fan. Mells is a need grab, and we aren’t getting other big bodies on the DL.

Cyrus Moss. Anthony Lucas. Kevin Coleman. The LB from Nebraska. That’s a hell of a finish.
Post Reply