Page 2 of 2

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:58 pm
by karlhungis
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:25 pm
by JIDuck97
karlhungis wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
The NCAA is an operation driven by cash flow. Teams more likely to be investigated include either fringe teams or lower earners.

Think of it like a police officer who decides to ticket or not based upon appearances and "ahem" measurables.

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:32 pm
by woundedknees
JIDuck97 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
The NCAA is an operation driven by cash flow. Teams more likely to be investigated include either fringe teams or lower earners.

Think of it like a police officer who decides to ticket or not based upon appearances and "ahem" measurables.
Seems like Oregon qualified as one of those "fringe teams" for a while...

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 am
by justducky0
Yah hate to break it to you all, but Oregon for sure has bag men. As does almost any top school.
I am honestly fine with it. It is what it is in big time college football. I would rather have a bag man, and compete for playoff spots than be Oregon State loololol

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 am
by Duck07
I can tell you that there weren't any bag men when I was in school. The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role which along with other small level booster actions is common everywhere.

The number of players/parents that go the shady route with a school directly isn't that common.

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 am
by karlhungis
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:51 am
by Duck07
karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
I was a roommate with multiple players. One of them was investigated twice by the NCAA. Once for his car and the other because he was recruited by USC during the Reggie Bush scandal. Bellotti just talked up a big role for certain guys but took on a different role once suited up.

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:58 am
by karlhungis
Duck07 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
I was a roommate with multiple players. One of them was investigated twice by the NCAA. Once for his car and the other because he was recruited by USC during the Reggie Bush scandal. Bellotti just talked up a big role for certain guys but took on a different role once suited up.
You mean he was promising guys a big role on the team? Star player, focus of the offense type of thing? I recently stopped drinking coffee, so I apologize for my brain being slow.

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 am
by justducky0
karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
I was a roommate with multiple players. One of them was investigated twice by the NCAA. Once for his car and the other because he was recruited by USC during the Reggie Bush scandal. Bellotti just talked up a big role for certain guys but took on a different role once suited up.
You mean he was promising guys a big role on the team? Star player, focus of the offense type of thing? I recently stopped drinking coffee, so I apologize for my brain being slow.
Yes

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:10 am
by justducky0
I am just saying my source was part of the recruiting team post Bellotti era.
Oregon is just as aggressive as the big boy programs.

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:10 pm
by GoDucksTroll
woundedknees wrote:
JIDuck97 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
The NCAA is an operation driven by cash flow. Teams more likely to be investigated include either fringe teams or lower earners.

Think of it like a police officer who decides to ticket or not based upon appearances and "ahem" measurables.
Seems like Oregon qualified as one of those "fringe teams" for a while...
What got us on probation was that there was a paper trail. Chip didn't know how this stuff worked and used official school accounts to pay Willie Lyles for outdated information. If Lyles had gotten his cash in a paper bag we wouldn't have gotten any sanctions, but it was done with school accounts subject to records requests.