Christian Burkhalter

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

WestCoastDux
Two Star Recruit
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by WestCoastDux »

Quack! Christian Burkhalter committed to Oregon.
User avatar
OregonFan4Life
All-American
Posts: 15149
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by OregonFan4Life »

So is this guy underrated or are the coaches missing out on some big prospects?
Image
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:So is this guy underrated or are the coaches missing out on some big prospects?
He's someone who's potential the staff likes, especially at the STUD position. He's an Avalos guy and has been compared to former BSU LB Leighton Vander Esch.
Image
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by StevensTechU »

.8742 is not a bad rating! I think it's a pretty appropriate rating, tbh.

Same high school as Duck cornerback DJ James.
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39213
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by greenyellow »

Not sure why his commitment caused Oregon to jump up the rankings as much as they did, but the Ducks now have the #3 recruiting class in the country.
Image
Image
SteelTown43
Two Star Recruit
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by SteelTown43 »

After Clemson lost a commit to ohio state and north Carolina had their best commit reclassify to 2020, the small bump we received from the Burkhalter commitment raised us to #3.
User avatar
Duckenstein
Freshman
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by Duckenstein »

I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
User avatar
Phalanx
Senior
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by Phalanx »

Duckenstein wrote:I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
Maybe to replace Eaford? My concern is that we have to be running up against scholarship limits, and it feels like taking project guys like this means we are giving up on the bigger fish. Either that, or some guys are going to get processed, which doesn't seem like an attractive option.
User avatar
Duckenstein
Freshman
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by Duckenstein »

Phalanx wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
Maybe to replace Eaford? My concern is that we have to be running up against scholarship limits, and it feels like taking project guys like this means we are giving up on the bigger fish. Either that, or some guys are going to get processed, which doesn't seem like an attractive option.
Agreed. Burkholder and Bucker are both project guys with high motors. Great gets.

But we are in on some really big fish and will need to process some guys that are really good players. There's not much fat once you get past 3-4 guys.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by ducks5ever »

Does Burkhalter play the same position as Jonathan Flowe? Wouldn't it make sense to Jonathan over Burkhalter if so?
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by StevensTechU »

ducks5ever wrote:Does Burkhalter play the same position as Jonathan Flowe? Wouldn't it make sense to Jonathan over Burkhalter if so?
Both OLBs, so possibly. Buckhalter is a different body type, long and lean like Cody Carriger and Justin Hollins (better football player than the former but not as talented as the latter), who you'd project to play that in the Mase Funa/Adrian Jackson spot. I originally thought they wanted to line him up as a WDE, which I really didn't like, but could see him being similar to Jordan Zumwalt (UCLA) as a linebacker who comes off the edge a lot.
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by Duck07 »

Duckenstein wrote:I trust Mario because he's the best recruiter in the country.

But I'm confused about our recruiting numbers this year.

Burkholder adds to a huge group of OLB types.
Trust your recruiting/scouting is one thought but the other is that with Covid, what is a large position group could also get small in a year and half with a lot of uncertainty regarding how many actual games take place. It'd really suck to have such a loaded defense and not get to see them play but I think its a contingency the coaches have to plan for (without glancing at a roster breakdown) as just-in-case scenario.
Image
buckmarkduck
All-American
Posts: 11005
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by buckmarkduck »

He has huge upside, has only played D for a year. Was a TE before. I've also heard that he could play inside, even with his height.
punizhr02
One Star Recruit
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by punizhr02 »

StevensTechU wrote:
SteelTown43 wrote:Guys, trust the coaches and the prospect's offer sheet
I just went back and re-watched through the lense of him being an OLB instead of WDE. I don't think he'd be a bad pickup. As I said earlier, he has plus speed and athleticism, and re-watching, he actually looks like he does really well in space. The critique I still have is but didn't say before is that, if you watch his exuberant celebrations and s***-talking after the play is dead, he seems like a big douchebag. Hopefully he grows out of it but even if not, you're never gonna like all hundred guys on your team.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10047834/5 ... 0e6067b8f4
I don't mind guys playing with a little edge in their game. As long as he isn't Burfecting his way into 15 yard penalties, I don't think it's a problem. Troy Dye plays with a similar edge. Remember his Dubs down on national TV? Having a team full of these guys leads to disfunction and a lack of discipline, but having a few of these guys fires the team up and brings a lot of energy.
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40565
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Christian Burkhalter

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:So is this guy underrated or are the coaches missing out on some big prospects?
He's someone who's potential the staff likes, especially at the STUD position. He's an Avalos guy and has been compared to former BSU LB Leighton Vander Esch.
Still interesting that Oregon went with more of a project here. Our class is filling up, yet there's still lots of guys on the board.

But hey, coaches know what's up.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Post Reply