Page 12 of 14

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:49 am
by jimmy12
woundedknees wrote:Free trip, free entertainment... it wouldn't be the first time that happened
I would not be surprised if we lose our QB commit. Moorhead has been recruiting him since his freshman year. I would be surprised if he stays.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:51 am
by Duck07
jimmy12 wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Free trip, free entertainment... it wouldn't be the first time that happened
I would not be surprised if we lose our QB commit. Moorhead has been recruiting him since his freshman year. I would be surprised if he stays.
Well we've got an Oregon kid in Dom Montiel who might even be the better QB recruit to go after as it is.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:52 am
by StevensTechU
jimmy12 wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Free trip, free entertainment... it wouldn't be the first time that happened
I would not be surprised if we lose our QB commit. Moorhead has been recruiting him since his freshman year. I would be surprised if he stays.
Image

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:02 am
by jimmy12
StevensTechU wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Free trip, free entertainment... it wouldn't be the first time that happened
I would not be surprised if we lose our QB commit. Moorhead has been recruiting him since his freshman year. I would be surprised if he stays.
Image

You don't like him?

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 am
by droop10
Duck07 wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Free trip, free entertainment... it wouldn't be the first time that happened
I would not be surprised if we lose our QB commit. Moorhead has been recruiting him since his freshman year. I would be surprised if he stays.
Well we've got an Oregon kid in Dom Montiel who might even be the better QB recruit to go after as it is.
That's a pretty bold statement given the kid doesn't even have an FBS offer, at least as far as I know. I know there are the exceptions, like Herbert, but this kid wasn't hurt, played all season and still hasn't seen an offer. Bailey has been the school's biggest recruiter from this class. Wonder if his potential departure could impact others' decisions.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:17 am
by StevensTechU
jimmy12 wrote:
You don't like him?
I think he's probably the ~30th best QB in this class. Doesn't mean he's terrible, I just think Oregon can (and needs to) do better.

I don't think he's going to decommit because I don't think anyone has liked him enough to pursue him heavily.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:24 am
by Duck07
droop10 wrote: That's a pretty bold statement given the kid doesn't even have an FBS offer, at least as far as I know. I know there are the exceptions, like Herbert, but this kid wasn't hurt, played all season and still hasn't seen an offer. Bailey has been the school's biggest recruiter from this class. Wonder if his potential departure could impact others' decisions.
Montiel and many others have been screwed over by Oregon shutting all sports down last year. His Jr season was played in May and his Sr season just concluded. When I watch the offense that Mario has us running and I watch Montiel play, I see a guy who is a good fit for being a dual-threat QB who is pass-first. Is he likely to compete for QB1 as a true freshmen? No, but I see a guy who if you give him a year to learn could be the guy for the next 3 years and that seems like a much higher ceiling than Ashford, Butterfield or Bailey at this point to me.

My understanding is that PSU has offered him whereas Oregon and OSU have both offered PWO status. If you compare his arm to Herbert you won't see the same throws but Ty Thompson didn't even have Herbert's arm and he was ranked a 5* and Herbert a paltry 3*. If Oregon or OSU gives him a committable offer he likely also gets a Star boost.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:26 am
by droop10
StevensTechU wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:
You don't like him?
I think he's probably the ~30th best QB in this class. Doesn't mean he's terrible, I just think Oregon can (and needs to) do better.

I don't think he's going to decommit because I don't think anyone has liked him enough to pursue him heavily.
Problem is that it's probably a little late in the cycle to find someone better. I know they could go transfer portal, but even that would leave them with only 2-3 QBs on the roster depending on potential transfers out of the program.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 am
by HomeSickDuck
Devin brown is who they need to go after.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:23 am
by StevensTechU
droop10 wrote:
Problem is that it's probably a little late in the cycle to find someone better. I know they could go transfer portal, but even that would leave them with only 2-3 QBs on the roster depending on potential transfers out of the program.
I disagree. I think if you're a marquee brand like Oregon, you have three groups of recruits available to you: 1) Guys who didn't 'pop' until late in their high school careers (Justin Herbert, Jaxson Dart, Trevone Boykin, Ben Rothlesburger, on and on) 2) Guys who are committed to lower-level schools (tons of dudes- Zach Wilson and Jayden de Laura as examples) 3) Guys who are caught in the coaching carousel turmoil (this is how we got Ugo Amadi).

If you absolutely love a quarterback coming out of their junior year, awesome, go get him. If you miss on those 4-5 guys, just wait. Be patient. There will be great options later. You'll also be able to collect more data and make a wiser decision when you have senior film versus when you have sophomore film.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:54 pm
by chapelhillduck
Banks is solid to UO, will sign in Dec https://twitter.com/andrewnemec/status/ ... 48292?s=21


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 pm
by Phalanx
Sounds like Moss is going on an official to USC. I wonder if these recruits are listening to the Mario to Miami talk.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 am
by JIDuck97
Looks like Juco Jeffrey M'ba is officially visiting on 12-8-21.

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:32 am
by SuperDuck
jimmy12 wrote:
woundedknees wrote:Free trip, free entertainment... it wouldn't be the first time that happened
I would not be surprised if we lose our QB commit. Moorhead has been recruiting him since his freshman year. I would be surprised if he stays.
I wish we could reel in Jake Hoener from Fresno State. Odds are he transfers to UW where his coach went, but could Oregon's loaded roster and a shot at a natty be something that might be just enticing enough to sway him away?

Re: Dream Finish

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 am
by SuperDuck
Phalanx wrote:Sounds like Moss is going on an official to USC. I wonder if these recruits are listening to the Mario to Miami talk.
I would hope they aren't. It's got to be tough on MC. I know because my Mom was sick for months while I lived out of state. Still, the season will be over in less than a month and I'm sure he'll be able to come and go as he pleases after that. Not knowing the extent of her illness makes it hard to assume anything, but we do know that Miami is in a shambles and there hasn't been any sign of the powers that be stepping up to commit to a rebuild of their facilities, etc.

Mario is sitting on a potential national title for years to come at Oregon. It's hard to imagine him wanting to step into that situation.