Page 4 of 4
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50 am
by pudgejeff
UOducksTK1 wrote:Oregon Ownage wrote:I have no problem with the potentials and how players grow or decrease. If it was straight forward then someone could just pick A potential players and just ride them each year. Thats what I like about the sim, you do not know what player will grow or regress. Its a crap shoot as it is in real life.
Oh totally. I've seen players with ratings of C+ C+ C C+ C A and 100 potential, where I test simmed them 10 times, would end up B A- C+ A- C C. But then when it came to the actual sim, he ended up like B- B- C B+ C.
Nothing's for certain, but at the same time,
if you have a high level of skill beyond taking advantage of newer GMs, you can pretty consistently do well in sims.
So if you're good, you'll still win. But not everything goes by the book, just like real life.
What does this reference? Depth Charts? Free Agency? Drafts? Or is there more that goes into it? I've searched a bit on google but there isn't much out there.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am
by Zyme
pudgejeff wrote:My favorite result of the Pre-season:
Dino Radja PF 32 8 9 0 0 0 0 12 4 2 2 2 3 16
Charles Barkley PF 40 6 16 0 0 0 2 16 4 2 0 3 1 12
Dino going toe to toe with Sir Charles and holding him in check in a 29 point win.
Key is to keep him off the offensive boards.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:53 am
by Zyme
pudgejeff wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:Oregon Ownage wrote:I have no problem with the potentials and how players grow or decrease. If it was straight forward then someone could just pick A potential players and just ride them each year. Thats what I like about the sim, you do not know what player will grow or regress. Its a crap shoot as it is in real life.
Oh totally. I've seen players with ratings of C+ C+ C C+ C A and 100 potential, where I test simmed them 10 times, would end up B A- C+ A- C C. But then when it came to the actual sim, he ended up like B- B- C B+ C.
Nothing's for certain, but at the same time,
if you have a high level of skill beyond taking advantage of newer GMs, you can pretty consistently do well in sims.
So if you're good, you'll still win. But not everything goes by the book, just like real life.
What does this reference? Depth Charts? Free Agency? Drafts? Or is there more that goes into it? I've searched a bit on google but there isn't much out there.
More or less, I believe he is referencing getting more valuable players from GMs who dont entirely know what type of player does will in this engine and building your DC. Even after all this time I still could not tell you what exact level of trapping and press to use, but do know inside offenses work better slow and outside fast.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:14 pm
by lukeyrid13
^ Yeah I am like Zyme, I still kind of guess on the trap and press cause I haven't found a pattern at all.
As for the other stuff, there are certain nuances that will help you. You have to have a good PG, if your PG has C- handles it really doesn't matter what the rest of your team is rated. It's also rare to see a team win that doesn't have a good defensive center. Those things and finding players that fit together in an offense are things that most would not know coming in.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:57 pm
by dd10snoop28
Press is if your back-court is good at stealing the ball. They will force more turnovers from the opposition, but at the same, your guards will also get into foul trouble.
Trap is if your bigs are good at forcing turnovers... But again, it will get them into foul trouble more quickly. At least, this is my understanding of what they are.
Usually I only tweak press/trap for certain games (usually playoffs). Like if the opposing team has certain players that turns it over and I have a defensive player at that same position.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:09 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
dd10snoop28 wrote:Press is if your back-court is good at stealing the ball. They will force more turnovers from the opposition, but at the same, your guards will also get into foul trouble.
Trap is if your bigs are good at forcing turnovers... But again, it will get them into foul trouble more quickly. At least, this is my understanding of what they are.
Usually I only tweak press/trap for certain games (usually playoffs). Like if the opposing team has certain players that turns it over and I have a defensive player at that same position.
How do we know this though? All we get to see is their overall defensive rating, not the underlying attributes.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 pm
by dd10snoop28
If he averaged more than 2.0spg last year than he probably has a good "steal" rating.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:18 pm
by Zyme
dthomas=ddixon wrote:dd10snoop28 wrote:Press is if your back-court is good at stealing the ball. They will force more turnovers from the opposition, but at the same, your guards will also get into foul trouble.
Trap is if your bigs are good at forcing turnovers... But again, it will get them into foul trouble more quickly. At least, this is my understanding of what they are.
Usually I only tweak press/trap for certain games (usually playoffs). Like if the opposing team has certain players that turns it over and I have a defensive player at that same position.
How do we know this though? All we get to see is their overall defensive rating, not the underlying attributes.
Stokton is one of the best steal artists in the league
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
Ok good to know, thanks guys. I thought the trap was like an option to half court trap rather than press. I didn't think it had anything to do with your big men. Probably why my defense has always struggled ha.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:48 pm
by Zyme
dthomas=ddixon wrote:Ok good to know, thanks guys. I thought the trap was like an option to half court trap rather than press. I didn't think it had anything to do with your big men. Probably why my defense has always struggled ha.
You still down want to go overboard with trapping or the like unless you have a crazy deep roster. It will get players a ton more playing time off the bench.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm
by UOducksTK1
pudgejeff wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:Oregon Ownage wrote:I have no problem with the potentials and how players grow or decrease. If it was straight forward then someone could just pick A potential players and just ride them each year. Thats what I like about the sim, you do not know what player will grow or regress. Its a crap shoot as it is in real life.
Oh totally. I've seen players with ratings of C+ C+ C C+ C A and 100 potential, where I test simmed them 10 times, would end up B A- C+ A- C C. But then when it came to the actual sim, he ended up like B- B- C B+ C.
Nothing's for certain, but at the same time,
if you have a high level of skill beyond taking advantage of newer GMs, you can pretty consistently do well in sims.
So if you're good, you'll still win. But not everything goes by the book, just like real life.
What does this reference? Depth Charts? Free Agency? Drafts? Or is there more that goes into it? I've searched a bit on google but there isn't much out there.
I'm talking moreso with player evaluation and how that ties into your team's direction/DC. It's being able to distinguish between talent and what fits in your system. As you play the game, you'll notice certain skills outweigh others. You know which players can fit your DC best. It's just something you pick up as you play the game more and more, and notice behavior differences, patterns, etc.
A guy rated C F F A C C might be a more valuable center then a guy B- C- C- A- B- C. To me, shot blocking is huge for my big men (specifically a center).
It's not really something I can explain in paper, it's something you have to experience imo.
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:54 pm
by Brophdog88
UOducksTK1 wrote:pudgejeff wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:Oregon Ownage wrote:I have no problem with the potentials and how players grow or decrease. If it was straight forward then someone could just pick A potential players and just ride them each year. Thats what I like about the sim, you do not know what player will grow or regress. Its a crap shoot as it is in real life.
Oh totally. I've seen players with ratings of C+ C+ C C+ C A and 100 potential, where I test simmed them 10 times, would end up B A- C+ A- C C. But then when it came to the actual sim, he ended up like B- B- C B+ C.
Nothing's for certain, but at the same time,
if you have a high level of skill beyond taking advantage of newer GMs, you can pretty consistently do well in sims.
So if you're good, you'll still win. But not everything goes by the book, just like real life.
What does this reference? Depth Charts? Free Agency? Drafts? Or is there more that goes into it? I've searched a bit on google but there isn't much out there.
I'm talking moreso with player evaluation and how that ties into your team's direction/DC. It's being able to distinguish between talent and what fits in your system. As you play the game, you'll notice certain skills outweigh others. You know which players can fit your DC best. It's just something you pick up as you play the game more and more, and notice behavior differences, patterns, etc.
A guy rated C F F A C C might be a more valuable center then a guy B- C- C- A- B- C. To me, shot blocking is huge for my big men (specifically a center).
It's not really something I can explain in paper, it's something you have to experience imo.
if a guy can rebound and play Post D, he is better than a pure shotblocker post Defender who cant rebound...rebounding is far more important to a team
Re: Preseason Results
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 pm
by UOducksTK1
Brophdog88 wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:pudgejeff wrote:UOducksTK1 wrote:Oregon Ownage wrote:I have no problem with the potentials and how players grow or decrease. If it was straight forward then someone could just pick A potential players and just ride them each year. Thats what I like about the sim, you do not know what player will grow or regress. Its a crap shoot as it is in real life.
Oh totally. I've seen players with ratings of C+ C+ C C+ C A and 100 potential, where I test simmed them 10 times, would end up B A- C+ A- C C. But then when it came to the actual sim, he ended up like B- B- C B+ C.
Nothing's for certain, but at the same time,
if you have a high level of skill beyond taking advantage of newer GMs, you can pretty consistently do well in sims.
So if you're good, you'll still win. But not everything goes by the book, just like real life.
What does this reference? Depth Charts? Free Agency? Drafts? Or is there more that goes into it? I've searched a bit on google but there isn't much out there.
I'm talking moreso with player evaluation and how that ties into your team's direction/DC. It's being able to distinguish between talent and what fits in your system. As you play the game, you'll notice certain skills outweigh others. You know which players can fit your DC best. It's just something you pick up as you play the game more and more, and notice behavior differences, patterns, etc.
A guy rated C F F A C C might be a more valuable center then a guy B- C- C- A- B- C. To me, shot blocking is huge for my big men (specifically a center).
It's not really something I can explain in paper, it's something you have to experience imo.
if a guy can rebound and play Post D, he is better than a pure shotblocker post Defender who cant rebound...rebounding is far more important to a team
Semantics. Point being, the B- C- C- A- B- C guy could be mostly physical attributes with little production. bump his jumping down to earth, and his strength. He could be a C+ C- C- B+ C+ C type of production guy with reasonable defense, but no shot blocking in the post.
But that's exactly my point. It's not necessarily the ratings, but rather analyzing the player given his rating / stats and knowing what's truly behind those ratings, and how that ties into your team's scheme / DC.