Page 1 of 2

Salary Cap

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:25 pm
by lukeyrid13
We gonna lower it? Maybe to 30 million? Cause as of right now every team would have max cap space and many will have room for two max contracts. Clyde Drexler is gonna get 29 offers, which sucks for the Jazz.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:49 pm
by tales
Yea I think lowering it would be good. I wouldn't mind pairing 2 max contracts with Jordan this off-season though =P

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 am
by pudgejeff
lukeyrid13 wrote:We gonna lower it? Maybe to 30 million? Cause as of right now every team would have max cap space and many will have room for two max contracts. Clyde Drexler is gonna get 29 offers, which sucks for the Jazz.
30 Million seems a bit low. Es[ecially since next year i'm assuming our rosters won't be 65% min guys.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 am
by Phenom
pudgejeff wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:We gonna lower it? Maybe to 30 million? Cause as of right now every team would have max cap space and many will have room for two max contracts. Clyde Drexler is gonna get 29 offers, which sucks for the Jazz.
30 Million seems a bit low. Es[ecially since next year i'm assuming our rosters won't be 65% min guys.
I would assume the salary cap would increase every year.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:57 am
by pudgejeff
Phenom wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:We gonna lower it? Maybe to 30 million? Cause as of right now every team would have max cap space and many will have room for two max contracts. Clyde Drexler is gonna get 29 offers, which sucks for the Jazz.
30 Million seems a bit low. Es[ecially since next year i'm assuming our rosters won't be 65% min guys.
I would assume the salary cap would increase every year.
Agreed, but there are people that are over 30 million currently.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:51 am
by Zyme
pudgejeff wrote:
Phenom wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:We gonna lower it? Maybe to 30 million? Cause as of right now every team would have max cap space and many will have room for two max contracts. Clyde Drexler is gonna get 29 offers, which sucks for the Jazz.
30 Million seems a bit low. Es[ecially since next year i'm assuming our rosters won't be 65% min guys.
I would assume the salary cap would increase every year.
Agreed, but there are people that are over 30 million currently.
Most commonly, what I have seen is people are given a pass, Existing contracts are not counted and the salary cap is raised over time.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am
by UOducksTK1
I'll take a peak at the rosters first, but 30 million seems reasonable. Hard cap should just be double that?

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 pm
by pudgejeff
UOducksTK1 wrote:I'll take a peak at the rosters first, but 30 million seems reasonable. Hard cap should just be double that?
We went with 30? I have literally 5 guys on contract and am over the cap.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:30 pm
by UOducksTK1
pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I'll take a peak at the rosters first, but 30 million seems reasonable. Hard cap should just be double that?
We went with 30? I have literally 5 guys on contract and am over the cap.
Being over cap doesn't hurt at all. It just means you can't offer anything outside of MLE/LLE in the offseason. That's pretty normal for any competing team honestly.

Generally, the majority of teams will be over the salary cap going into a season. Once we set a hard cap, is when you have to be concerned. IF you cross the hard cap, you get penalized.

But right now we don't even have a hard cap. I'll put one in place for next season.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 pm
by pudgejeff
UOducksTK1 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I'll take a peak at the rosters first, but 30 million seems reasonable. Hard cap should just be double that?
We went with 30? I have literally 5 guys on contract and am over the cap.
Being over cap doesn't hurt at all. It just means you can't offer anything outside of MLE/LLE in the offseason. That's pretty normal for any competing team honestly.

Generally, the majority of teams will be over the salary cap going into a season. Once we set a hard cap, is when you have to be concerned. IF you cross the hard cap, you get penalized.

But right now we don't even have a hard cap. I'll put one in place for next season.
So I'm able to trade freely then while over?

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:24 pm
by UOducksTK1
pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I'll take a peak at the rosters first, but 30 million seems reasonable. Hard cap should just be double that?
We went with 30? I have literally 5 guys on contract and am over the cap.
Being over cap doesn't hurt at all. It just means you can't offer anything outside of MLE/LLE in the offseason. That's pretty normal for any competing team honestly.

Generally, the majority of teams will be over the salary cap going into a season. Once we set a hard cap, is when you have to be concerned. IF you cross the hard cap, you get penalized.

But right now we don't even have a hard cap. I'll put one in place for next season.
So I'm able to trade freely then while over?
Yes, as long as this is true:
A team that is over the salary cap can receive up to 115% in total salary of the salaries it is trading away
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17264

Ex: So if you are trading 10million in salaries, you may receive no more than in 11.5 million in salaries.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 pm
by pudgejeff
is this going up this year?

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 pm
by tales
A slight increase would be nice, especially the way how pricey players might become

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 pm
by lukeyrid13
I personally like it, that way you have to smart with the contracts you hand out. Giving say Sam Perkins 12 mil a year at end of his career should hurt your flexibility a bit.

Re: Salary Cap

Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:07 pm
by pudgejeff
lukeyrid13 wrote:I personally like it, that way you have to smart with the contracts you hand out. Giving say Sam Perkins 12 mil a year at end of his career should hurt your flexibility a bit.
With increasing salaries it has to go up at some point doesn't it?