Justin Herbert
Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11005
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Justin Herbert
Seems like a definite back-up plan as his only other offer is from Montana St. Not sure what it is but Oregon is having a hard time finding QBs that are actual Pac-12 quality guys.

- fpsduck
- Senior
- Posts: 2862
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:10 am
Re: Justin Herbert
I am a little confused by the potential offer to a pro-style QB.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Justin Herbert
The thing is though he's not really a pro-style QB since Sheldon runs a spread offense ran almost exclusively from the shotgun that has featured many plays designed for the QB to run. I think the big thing that really hindered Herbert's development and subsequently his recruiting is the broken femur from last season. He likely would have had multiple offers by now if hadn't missed his entire JR year and then decided not to hit the camp circuit this summer. Sheldon only recently started calling more zone reads and designed QB runs now that he's seemingly fully recovered. He's not Mariota-fast or athletic but he's certainly comparable to DT's speed and moves. While I would have like the coaches to go after some higher-rated guys, Herbert's a borderline Pac-12 guy that Oregon must feel good enough about to let Green decommit. We'll see how this turns out.fpsduck wrote:I am a little confused by the potential offer to a pro-style QB.

- fpsduck
- Senior
- Posts: 2862
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:10 am
Re: Justin Herbert
I'm watching some of his highlights from this year's games. He does have decent speed for his size and he appears to be able to run the read option alright.greenyellow wrote:The thing is though he's not really a pro-style QB since Sheldon runs a spread offense ran almost exclusively from the shotgun that has featured many plays designed for the QB to run. I think the big thing that really hindered Herbert's development and subsequently his recruiting is the broken femur from last season. He likely would have had multiple offers by now if hadn't missed his entire JR year and then decided not to hit the camp circuit this summer. Sheldon only recently started calling more zone reads and designed QB runs now that he's seemingly fully recovered. He's not Mariota-fast or athletic but he's certainly comparable to DT's speed and moves. While I would have like the coaches to go after some higher-rated guys, Herbert's a borderline Pac-12 guy that Oregon must feel good enough about to let Green decommit. We'll see how this turns out.fpsduck wrote:I am a little confused by the potential offer to a pro-style QB.
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Re: Justin Herbert
Looks a lot like Utah's QB.
-
woundedknees
- All-American
- Posts: 12821
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm
Re: Justin Herbert
Seemed like Utah's QB did OK...
Wilson was a 3 star (Rivals) pro-style out of HS. The difference was he had offers from half the PAC 12 (UCLA, Arizona, ASU, UW, and Colorado, in addition to Utah), so somebody obviously scouted the kid.
Herbert is currently pretty much unrated, with offers from Montana State, N. Arizona, and Portland State. Guess the jury is still out on him, but who knows? Maybe a diamond in the rough?
Wilson was a 3 star (Rivals) pro-style out of HS. The difference was he had offers from half the PAC 12 (UCLA, Arizona, ASU, UW, and Colorado, in addition to Utah), so somebody obviously scouted the kid.
Herbert is currently pretty much unrated, with offers from Montana State, N. Arizona, and Portland State. Guess the jury is still out on him, but who knows? Maybe a diamond in the rough?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!


-
thomas time
- Senior
- Posts: 4692
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:18 am
Re: Justin Herbert
there's talk on duck territory about Seth Green decommitting
-
jimmy12
- Senior
- Posts: 2823
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am
Re: Justin Herbert
I am not sure the ducks are offering green at QB. I think they may have presented him with an offer at athlete.
I am ok with this decommit.
I am ok with this decommit.
-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert
All, this kid is the real deal. Very strong arm, good speed, strong runner, accurate, very accurate. Forget offer, of all the QB video I've seen he looks to be fabulous. They barely lost to Jesuit in what... he's 3rd or 4th start. He can flick the Ball on the run with accuracy. This is another 2 or 3 star who fell under the radar due to injury and being an essential player/pitcher towards winning the state bb championship for Sheldon. Don't get caught up in star rankings. With limited film his skill, accuracy, reads and ability jump out more than any I've seen. Mark my words, he's not only a D1 QB, he looks to have All-American. I would be surprised if they haven't been planning on dumping Seth for this kid all along and just needed to give him a nudge out so that they can offer. This kid is a winner...I'm not saying MM but best film I've seen from any of our QB's in the last 4 years. Great decisions, super quick release, strong, great pocket awareness, ability to read defense but more than anything, super accurate. You all should be a ton more excited about this kid. He's fabulous. They just needed some film and the ability to get Seth Green off the books so they could offer him. Bet money it's coming in the next week or two.
-
SuperDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 4651
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:29 am
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Justin Herbert
Jeff Lockie was a Pro-Style QB. Chip Kelly wanted QBs that could throw, but also have good enough legs to make them a running threat.fpsduck wrote:I am a little confused by the potential offer to a pro-style QB.
John 3:36
-
picksix
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:00 am
Re: Justin Herbert
He has great potential IMO. I like how he doesn't stare down his receivers and goes through his reads. We don`t HAVE to have a running QB in our offense. If he is smart and takes care of the ball this offense he can prosper. He is athletic enough to run out of trouble if needed IMO.
- pezsez1
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 6285
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: RIP CITY
Re: Justin Herbert
Interesting! His vid does look great. Quick decisions, snappy throws, good runner, accurate on the run. And I bet he'd be totally stoked about being a Duck.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
- StevensTechU
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 7116
- Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
- Location: Hoboken, NJ
Re: Justin Herbert
I like the comparison made above about Darron being a marginal runner. The more non-Pac-12 games I watch, the more I see QBs around the country that are really fast, but whose names you never hear unless someone gets hurt (this is the case at Boston College, at Virginia Tech, and maybe some of you remember the Florida State players saying their 3rd stringer was faster than Marcus ahead of the Rose Bowl last year). Above all, the ability to find and hit your receivers is what matters at QB in every offense except the triple-option.
I'm onboard with Herbert. If you disregard the offer sheet, you see a 6'6 kid with a gun for an arm (reportedly throws a 95mph fastball), that makes plays with pressure in his face and can make every throw the Oregon offense will ask of him (I love his accuracy rolling out, and how his long limbs don't slow down his release whatsoever).
I'm onboard with Herbert. If you disregard the offer sheet, you see a 6'6 kid with a gun for an arm (reportedly throws a 95mph fastball), that makes plays with pressure in his face and can make every throw the Oregon offense will ask of him (I love his accuracy rolling out, and how his long limbs don't slow down his release whatsoever).
-
srsmiley007
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 am
Re: Justin Herbert
StevensTechU wrote:I like the comparison made above about Darron being a marginal runner. The more non-Pac-12 games I watch, the more I see QBs around the country that are really fast, but whose names you never hear unless someone gets hurt (this is the case at Boston College, at Virginia Tech, and maybe some of you remember the Florida State players saying their 3rd stringer was faster than Marcus ahead of the Rose Bowl last year). Above all, the ability to find and hit your receivers is what matters at QB in every offense except the triple-option.
I'm onboard with Herbert. If you disregard the offer sheet, you see a 6'6 kid with a gun for an arm (reportedly throws a 95mph fastball), that makes plays with pressure in his face and can make every throw the Oregon offense will ask of him (I love his accuracy rolling out, and how his long limbs don't slow down his release whatsoever).
There's some stuff on Duck Territory but I can't read it. Anyone know the status because we have got to get this kid. He's exactly what we need and moreover runs an almost identical offense. While his film is limited to only a couple of games because he's only played 5 or 6 you actually see "wow" moments in his game that you just don't see in others film. Watch him flick the ball 30 yards in the air with accuracy as guys are draped around his legs. Thats impressive.
As for arm strength, he was the number 2 pitcher on Sheldon's state championship baseball team that didn't finish up until July leaving no time for camps or hype. He's a borne winner. Plays 3 sports, excellent at all of them, plays safety and QB at Sheldon.
Please share any info on his recruiting if you have access to DT. Thanks..