Finding Silver Lining
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 am
Ok, so like most of you I had been anxiously awaiting last night's game, and like all of us, came away very dissapointed. That being said, having been raised in a "football family" (I mean like fanatical), I was taught that there is always something to be taken away and learned from even the worst game. So here goes....
1. Jackson Rice. Already been discussed, but worth mentioning again. Kid has a big, big future.
2. Jeff Maehl. Maybe a bit surprising but the kid played a great game really. He did a good job of getting open and catching the ball, even while Masoli was staring him down most of the game. You can tell he has improved greatly in the last half a year.
3. The O needs to be slowed down a bit for Masoli. Dude is having some serious trouble making reads at game speed. He was really off on his zone reads, and he struggled mightily reading coverage. The INT play was designed for him to hesitate that way, you can tell by the way he moves, but he failed in reading the coverage.
4. BSU is going to be good. Kellen Moore is probably the best QB we'll see all year, flat out. The kid is ice. We as a fanbase and a team underestimated them again. To put it simply, they are better than we are.
5. Blount should be done for a while, and it may not be a bad thing. Initially I thought he should be gone by this morning, after sleeping on it, and listening to other views l(ike MFR's), I think there are many important things to consider in his punishment. That being said, this is an excellent opportunity for backs like LMJ, Crenshaw and Alston to make an impact on the season.
6. Maybe most important for this team, the pressure is off. Nobody expects much out of them for the rest of the year. Even Moseley on his twitter feed said something to the effect of a bowl game being no certainty. I disagree strongly. This was one game, the first game even. We have a long, long way to go, with Utah and Cal looming in the next month. There is lots of ground to make up sure, but we have the opportunities to make an impact on this year, no doubt.
That's all I've got, and it was tough to come up with those; but, I do think we'll bounce back. Hang in there everyone.
1. Jackson Rice. Already been discussed, but worth mentioning again. Kid has a big, big future.
2. Jeff Maehl. Maybe a bit surprising but the kid played a great game really. He did a good job of getting open and catching the ball, even while Masoli was staring him down most of the game. You can tell he has improved greatly in the last half a year.
3. The O needs to be slowed down a bit for Masoli. Dude is having some serious trouble making reads at game speed. He was really off on his zone reads, and he struggled mightily reading coverage. The INT play was designed for him to hesitate that way, you can tell by the way he moves, but he failed in reading the coverage.
4. BSU is going to be good. Kellen Moore is probably the best QB we'll see all year, flat out. The kid is ice. We as a fanbase and a team underestimated them again. To put it simply, they are better than we are.
5. Blount should be done for a while, and it may not be a bad thing. Initially I thought he should be gone by this morning, after sleeping on it, and listening to other views l(ike MFR's), I think there are many important things to consider in his punishment. That being said, this is an excellent opportunity for backs like LMJ, Crenshaw and Alston to make an impact on the season.
6. Maybe most important for this team, the pressure is off. Nobody expects much out of them for the rest of the year. Even Moseley on his twitter feed said something to the effect of a bowl game being no certainty. I disagree strongly. This was one game, the first game even. We have a long, long way to go, with Utah and Cal looming in the next month. There is lots of ground to make up sure, but we have the opportunities to make an impact on this year, no doubt.
That's all I've got, and it was tough to come up with those; but, I do think we'll bounce back. Hang in there everyone.