PS - I love Blount and hope he gets another chance. This is not about "we are lucky he is gone". Just a thought.
Given our circumstance, this certainly could just be wishful
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
- UofDuck
- Senior
- Posts: 3943
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm
Given our circumstance, this certainly could just be wishful
... thinking here, but I have always felt the best piece for our offensive scheme at RB is quickness and speed rather than size. Stewart was huge, yet amazingly fast, so it worked - but not really any better than JJ who was smaller and more shifty. In fact, it could be argued either way between the two of them as Ducks, not in the League mind you - but in our offense. However, Blount is certainly big and somewhat fast, but not sure he was the very best fit as an everydown back in our offense. Granted, he has loads of NFL type of mojo. But our game-plan is not traditional NFL. We all saw that Blount was being hit in the backfield the other night and I am not blaming him for the BSU fiasco, but I am not sure a smaller quicker back might (I repeat - might) have weasled thru a few of those onslaughts? Just a thought. Anyway, rather than Thunder and Lightening, how about Lightening and Lightening (James and Grant) that might even be more leathal. Both smallish legit 4.3 guys. Spread out the field - get these two the ball and and watch em kick in the after burners. See-ya. At least a boy can dream.
PS - I love Blount and hope he gets another chance. This is not about "we are lucky he is gone". Just a thought.
PS - I love Blount and hope he gets another chance. This is not about "we are lucky he is gone". Just a thought.
- dd10snoop28
- All Pac-12
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 am
- GM: New Jersey Nets GM
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Re: Given our circumstance, this certainly could just be wishful
I agree 100%.
He was very successful last year because we had so many other options that defenses had to worry about and he played behind a fast guy in JJ.
But yeah, our style is perfect for an elusive/fast running back.
He was very successful last year because we had so many other options that defenses had to worry about and he played behind a fast guy in JJ.
But yeah, our style is perfect for an elusive/fast running back.

-
spacefrog13x
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 392
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 am
Re: Given our circumstance, this certainly could just be wishful
taking a quick survey of some of the spread teams in college football, the smaller, shifty backs seem to prevail..guys like Slaton, Devine, etc at W. Virginia...
Kendall Hunter is listed at 190 lbs.
Grigsby and Antolin at Arizona are both under 190.
the list probably goes on and on.
I really think shiftiness and "wiggle" and vision are the most important assets...Probably Blount's areas of weakness imho.
Kendall Hunter is listed at 190 lbs.
Grigsby and Antolin at Arizona are both under 190.
the list probably goes on and on.
I really think shiftiness and "wiggle" and vision are the most important assets...Probably Blount's areas of weakness imho.
-
buckmarkduck
- All-American
- Posts: 11009
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am
- Contact:
Re: Given our circumstance, this certainly could just be wishful
West Virgina has made a living with small fast backs.
- wheaton4prez
- Senior
- Posts: 3568
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 pm
Re: Given our circumstance, this certainly could just be wishful
I agree. I don't think this offense requires a big back to work because we don't run between the tackles as often as other teams. Though, a big back getting outside late in the game never hurts.
Problem appears to be that we still need SOME blocking at the line to allow a hand-off to complete.
Problem appears to be that we still need SOME blocking at the line to allow a hand-off to complete.