Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
slammer
Two Star Recruit
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:10 am

Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by slammer »

we want to even have a slight chance at a BIG Bowl game!!! We have two high ranked opponents coming in to autzen the next two weeks and i think we can turn this season around and get back some national respectability!!!! Bottom line, we have to beat Cal to have any chance of winning the Pac-10! Thoughts?
User avatar
echo31
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Portland

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by echo31 »

You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.
Image
hjpop
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by hjpop »

echo31 wrote:You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.
It's best if we do what MB did and take it one game at a time (cliche, I know, but it works!) Don't look ahead at Cal over Utah just because it's an OOC game, it's Utah, it's a chance to wipe some dirt off our face after BSU, and it gives our program a chance to show up. We may well lose but if we do well, and it's hard to say we can't after BSU, we'll start the momentum. Masoli and the team sucked in the middle of the season so this may well be our hump before we start rising. We probably won't challenge USC for the Pac-10 and may drop to 8-4 or 7-5 but it's time and miles under Kelly's belt for something greater. A "Big Bowl" game? Any bowl game you go to is big, take it from a former Hawaii fan who sat through a 0-13 season! Seeing Oregon play in the Aloha Bowl in 1998 was a treat!
duck55
Senior
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Keizer OR

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by duck55 »

echo31 wrote:You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.
How do we know this team "is nowhere near ready to beat Cal"? Who have they played? Eastern Washington is no Boise State, Wazzou could beat them (EWU)even if they had 4 ints & 7 fumbles like they (WSU) did @ Hawaii. That is why we play one game at a time.
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40581
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I'd be fine with a win against Utah and a loss to Cal.

Right now, we're severely overmatched by Cal. Winning both these games would be huge, and would put us back on the right track, but I think it's a stretch..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
User avatar
echo31
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Portland

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by echo31 »

duck55 wrote:
echo31 wrote:You're right, we have to win these next two games to even think about a big bowl game, but so far the Ducks teams that has shown up is nowhere near ready to beat Cal.
How do we know this team "is nowhere near ready to beat Cal"? Who have they played? Eastern Washington is no Boise State, Wazzou could beat them (EWU)even if they had 4 ints & 7 fumbles like they (WSU) did @ Hawaii. That is why we play one game at a time.
Call it a hunch, or just look at Cal's team and realize that they returned almost all of their starters from last year ... and they were really good last year. Obviously in football, anything goes, but if you don't think that Cal is leaps and bounds better than Purdue, I will not hesitate in saying that you are mistaken.
Image
uodux1212
Senior
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by uodux1212 »

duck55 wrote:How do we know this team "is nowhere near ready to beat Cal"? Who have they played? Eastern Washington is no Boise State, Wazzou could beat them (EWU)even if they had 4 ints & 7 fumbles like they (WSU) did @ Hawaii. That is why we play one game at a time.
Eyeball test... having watched both Cal and Oregon play, Cal looks heads and shoulders above us... have they played inferior talent?!? Yes, but still.... just look, watch... not that hard to tell...
Image

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
duck55
Senior
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Keizer OR

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by duck55 »

"Call it a hunch, or just look at Cal's team and realize that they returned almost all of their starters from last year ... and they were really good last year. Obviously in football, anything goes, but if you don't think that Cal is leaps and bounds better than Purdue, I will not hesitate in saying that you are mistaken."

I would agree that Cal is better than Purdue but my point is that I've seen Cal as the better team choke many times. How many times in the Oregon-Cal series have we seen the better team lose? If Oregon had no talant or potential I might not be so optomistic but I don't look ahead 2 weeks & expect a loss. I doubt Arizona & UCLA expected to beat us in 2007 but we know how that turned out.
User avatar
echo31
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Portland

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by echo31 »

duck55 wrote:"Call it a hunch, or just look at Cal's team and realize that they returned almost all of their starters from last year ... and they were really good last year. Obviously in football, anything goes, but if you don't think that Cal is leaps and bounds better than Purdue, I will not hesitate in saying that you are mistaken."

I would agree that Cal is better than Purdue but my point is that I've seen Cal as the better team choke many times. How many times in the Oregon-Cal series have we seen the better team lose? If Oregon had no talant or potential I might not be so optomistic but I don't look ahead 2 weeks & expect a loss. I doubt Arizona & UCLA expected to beat us in 2007 but we know how that turned out.
Well ok, I will give you the fact that it is still a while until that game. Maybe Best gets injured and bunch of guys on the Cal team come down with a bad case of Swine Flu before then. Who knows.

My point is, Cal is clicking and firing on all cylinders. The Ducks are sputtering and trying to find consistency.
Image
woundedknees
All-American
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by woundedknees »

That's why they play the games...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Image
GoDucksIn09
Senior
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I may be a true pessimist but this is just my hunch for the next two weeks. I would love to see Oregon winning both games just like everybody here. The reality is though just looking at our beloved ducks and only our ducks we are nowhere near where Cal is/was last year not to mention this year. I dont evens ee us beating Utah. I am picking Utah by 11. Cal will probably win by 24. This is based on an offense that looks really young in its line. They do not protect Masoli very well they high snap the ball. The defense is inconsitent at best. They make great plays at times but do not close the door allowing teams to come back. They lack the kilelr instinct. Our special teams looked good minus the penalties last week. The penalties hopefully can resolve. I want our ducks to win and would be ecstatic to win one or both of the next 2 games. I just simply do not see it happening.
northbeachsf
Freshman
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by northbeachsf »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I may be a true pessimist but this is just my hunch for the next two weeks. I would love to see Oregon winning both games just like everybody here. The reality is though just looking at our beloved ducks and only our ducks we are nowhere near where Cal is/was last year not to mention this year. I dont evens ee us beating Utah. I am picking Utah by 11. Cal will probably win by 24. This is based on an offense that looks really young in its line. They do not protect Masoli very well they high snap the ball. The defense is inconsitent at best. They make great plays at times but do not close the door allowing teams to come back. They lack the kilelr instinct. Our special teams looked good minus the penalties last week. The penalties hopefully can resolve. I want our ducks to win and would be ecstatic to win one or both of the next 2 games. I just simply do not see it happening.
Almost agree. Utah will be close (within 3 or so) and could go either way. Cal by 24 is probably right on.
User avatar
OreDucks01284
Senior
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Next 2 games are Mandatory if . . .. .

Post by OreDucks01284 »

i get this feeling that we might have repeat win and loss like last year, Loss to boise state, Cal and usc. Win the rest of game including Utah and bowl game.
Image
Post Reply