Page 1 of 2
Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:03 am
by jimmy12
This is above the 25 normally. I head this from a semi-reliable insider, but have not seen anything formal from the NCAA. Does anyone know?
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:38 am
by StevensTechU
They would have to see massive transfers in order to sign 32. Generally, a team can now sign 25 + up to 7 additional if they have 7+ transfers. They must still stay under the 85 scholarship limit.
In Oregon's case, they have very few players graduating, and their roster is so young that it's hard to spot a lot of likely transfer candidates. They would have to have a dangerous level of attrition in order to sign 32.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:54 am
by jimmy12
StevensTechU wrote:They would have to see massive transfers in order to sign 32. Generally, a team can now sign 25 + up to 7 additional if they have 7+ transfers. They must still stay under the 85 scholarship limit.
In Oregon's case, they have very few players graduating, and their roster is so young that it's hard to spot a lot of likely transfer candidates. They would have to have a dangerous level of attrition in order to sign 32.
I trust you more than my other source. Thank you!
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:26 am
by lukeyrid13
We are already going to have to process about 10-13 guys just to get in 25 this year.
Sadly, we are going to see a TON of roster shakeup this year. We can speculate about whom all we might lose in the offseason, but we literally have to shuffle our roster a ton so don't sound alarms about Cristobal keeping guys here etc.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:09 pm
by StevensTechU
Delgado and Crocker (Crocker has tweeted some things that make me think he's almost certainly gone; Delgado has become a forgotten man at WR)
Lance Wilhoite?
McCormick?
1-2 OL retirements/transfers, happens every year
Will Popo Aumavae (Jr) come back? If he does, I would expect someone else on the inside (KWH, K Williams, Afaese, Jones) to make a move.
Not sure what Dru Mathis' status for next year will be.
One or even two of Butterfield, Ashford, or Thompson is gonna be odd man out.
With Dye (Jr), Verdell (Jr), Dollars (R-Fr), Benson (Fr), McGee (Fr), Cardwell (Fr), something has to give at RB.
Jamal Hill is a long-shot to transfer, but with Bennett likely coming back next year, you wonder.
That's... 8? Maybe?
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:35 pm
by greenyellow
I don't think Mathis wouldn't count anyways since he was a returning SR this year. Plus he was looking forward to starting his career as a cop right after this season.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:39 pm
by lukeyrid13
StevensTechU wrote:Delgado and Crocker (Crocker has tweeted some things that make me think he's almost certainly gone; Delgado has become a forgotten man at WR)
Lance Wilhoite?
McCormick?
1-2 OL retirements/transfers, happens every year
Will Popo Aumavae (Jr) come back? If he does, I would expect someone else on the inside (KWH, K Williams, Afaese, Jones) to make a move.
Not sure what Dru Mathis' status for next year will be.
One or even two of Butterfield, Ashford, or Thompson is gonna be odd man out.
With Dye (Jr), Verdell (Jr), Dollars (R-Fr), Benson (Fr), McGee (Fr), Cardwell (Fr), something has to give at RB.
Jamal Hill is a long-shot to transfer, but with Bennett likely coming back next year, you wonder.
That's... 8? Maybe?
We are going to lose some legit players; it’s just how the numbers shake out unfortunately. There’s going to be a few that we look back on in a few years and will see them tearing it up at another school, I’m certain.
WR attrition is a given/must.
Probably some LB and D-line attrition as well and I’d guess a few in the secondary as well as 1-2 QB
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:09 pm
by StevensTechU
Yea, it's an interesting model (signing 25+ per year; being perpetually a young roster as people transfer or leave early for the NFL). It's obviously worked well for Alabama, but Alabama has squishy scholarship limits since they sign guys like Henry To'oto'o in the transfer portal despite being capped out. With rare exceptions, guys are better in their 3rd, 4th, 5th years than in their first (ESPECIALLY on the defensive side of the ball), so you don't want to go overboard.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:08 am
by jimmy12
My guess:
WR
Delgado
Crocker
Wilhoite
TE
McCormick (medically retire)
OL--
Miller (I can't figure this one out, he's losing weight and is down to 260 lbs (6'7)
Jeffers (maybe, lost in the depth chart)
DL-- I am not seeing any that are obvious
LB
Mathis
QB-- Tough to tell
RB-- Verdell is likely gone
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am
by pezsez1
I'm not as plugged into recruiting as some others... what's the background of this convo? Is our incoming class at 32 so far?
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:39 am
by greenyellow
Oregon will be nowhere near 32 players unless something really drastic happens. They'll be lucky to have room for a full 25-member class.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:41 am
by lukeyrid13
pezsez1 wrote:I'm not as plugged into recruiting as some others... what's the background of this convo? Is our incoming class at 32 so far?
We are at 21 commits now and will for sure be taking 25 incoming freshman.
I'd have to look and count for sure, but I believe we only have like 6-7 scholarship seniors this year. With: KT, Wright, Verdell and maybe Dorlus being early NFL entrants this season, we are looking to have a TON of transfers to try and stay under the 85 limit next year.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:41 pm
by StevensTechU
Sorry everyone! The correct answers were Mycah Pittman and Kingsley Suamataia.
We'll play again in January.
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:16 pm
by chapelhillduck
StevensTechU wrote:Sorry everyone! The correct answers were Mycah Pittman and Kingsley Suamataia.
We'll play again in January.
There’s gonna be more though and everyone is gonna lose their $hit (I don’t know anything in particular)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: Is it true, the Ducks can sign 32 players this year?
Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:58 pm
by GoDucksTroll
StevensTechU wrote:Sorry everyone! The correct answers were Mycah Pittman and Kingsley Suamataia.
We'll play again in January.
Dang, I knew I should have guessed top incoming recruit and blue chip contributing WR.
Anyone heard from Josh Delgado? I’ve seen Wilhoite in the flesh I know he’s still there, and Crocker is somehow there as well. So many WRs we’ve signed who have been busts, Delgado isn’t necessarily a bust - just disappeared.
Running backs, I have to wonder if TreyBenson is still in the plans. Cardwell, McGee, and Dollars - Benson is now the odd man out.
Lots of dead weight on the OL and DL, no pun intended. I have to assume there will be attrition there as well.
I’ll have to do a head count, but even if guys with eligibility remaining who are likely to leave do so, and we have early draft entrants like KT, Wright, and VM3 then I still don’t know how we can squeeze more in without some surprise exits.