DG's redzone INTs
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2024 11:41 am
First off -- I love Dillon Gabriel! He's a great QB and I'm thrilled we landed his services. Dude is a baller and so far he's come up big when we've needed him most, just like he did while at Oklahoma.
That said, the number of redzone INTs he's thrown seems a bit jarring considering how good he's been everywhere else on the field. (And also considering how many of these happen right on the goal line.) I've seen this discussed elsewhere on social media, but those convos usually devolve into White Knight vs Debbie Downer flame wars, and I don't want any part of that. I am curious though if some of the Xs and Os folks here have any insights into this phenomenon.
I've seen Duck07 (I think) talk about scheme vs plays, and maybe that's the issue here, that we're just not putting him in good positions. Maybe it's his height, although we've had smaller QBs in the past and I don't recall this happening.
Our offense in general also has a tendency to stall in the redzone more than it seemingly should, so maybe this isn't really a DG problem as much as it is an overall team issue. Our running game tends to disappear inside the 10 as well. (My brother and I always cringe whenever the Ducks land on a 1st & goal from the 9 or 10.)
Thoughts, since there's not much else to talk about right now?
That said, the number of redzone INTs he's thrown seems a bit jarring considering how good he's been everywhere else on the field. (And also considering how many of these happen right on the goal line.) I've seen this discussed elsewhere on social media, but those convos usually devolve into White Knight vs Debbie Downer flame wars, and I don't want any part of that. I am curious though if some of the Xs and Os folks here have any insights into this phenomenon.
I've seen Duck07 (I think) talk about scheme vs plays, and maybe that's the issue here, that we're just not putting him in good positions. Maybe it's his height, although we've had smaller QBs in the past and I don't recall this happening.
Our offense in general also has a tendency to stall in the redzone more than it seemingly should, so maybe this isn't really a DG problem as much as it is an overall team issue. Our running game tends to disappear inside the 10 as well. (My brother and I always cringe whenever the Ducks land on a 1st & goal from the 9 or 10.)
Thoughts, since there's not much else to talk about right now?