Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Watched the Civil War Again...

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
oregontrack wrote:Masoli wasn't a great passer but he could make the tough throws when it mattered. He always reminded me a bit of Brandon Roy, who isn't a great shooter but always seems to find his jumper when the Blazers need it. Our overall passing numbers might improve, but I think we will miss Masoli for awhile if we find ourselves in a tight game. I never expected Masoli to throw for 300 yards, but I did expect him to complete the necessary passes on a late game drive.
Yeah I think people are hoping Masoli was a terrible passer. But I'm sorry, thats pretty dumb. He didn't have a super accurate arm & had games where he made some bad decisions but he was still a good passer. You don't do what he did without being one.

And like oregontrack said, he made the throws when it counted. Who cares if DT throws for 450 yards & 5 TDs is he can't lead a game winning drive. It amazes me how obsessed people are with the passing game. I just want results. Whether its on the ground or through the air, results are what matter. Did we win? THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. Thats what Masoli got us & he will be missed without a doubt.
But the fact is, he was a run first QB. Sure he could pass, it's not like he was Chris Harper, but 2100 passing yards with a 58% completion rate on 7 yards per an attempt. The yards isn't too bad, but his completion rate and yards per attempt is pretty horrible. I can't even remember the last QB we had who had stats like that as a senior.

Dixon had like 2100 passing yards but on 68% completion rate and on 8.4 yards per an attempt. And Dixon was one of our weaker passers!

Not to mention, tons of Masoli's passes were screen passes or very short game passing. Take out the Stanford game and I can't even remember him completing a deep pass (OK and that pass against Utah lol).

So I got to disagree here and say that Masoli really wasn't much of a passing threat at all. He only threw over 170 yards in 5 games this season. Imagine if we could get a QB who could throw 200-250 yards more consistently. That would open up the rest of our offense a lot.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

UOducksTK1 wrote:But the fact is, he was a run first QB. Sure he could pass, it's not like he was Chris Harper, but 2100 passing yards with a 58% completion rate on 7 yards per an attempt. The yards isn't too bad, but his completion rate and yards per attempt is pretty horrible. I can't even remember the last QB we had who had stats like that as a senior.

Dixon had like 2100 passing yards but on 68% completion rate and on 8.4 yards per an attempt. And Dixon was one of our weaker passers!

Not to mention, tons of Masoli's passes were screen passes or very short game passing. Take out the Stanford game and I can't even remember him completing a deep pass (OK and that pass against Utah lol).

So I got to disagree here and say that Masoli really wasn't much of a passing threat at all. He only threw over 170 yards in 5 games this season. Imagine if we could get a QB who could throw 200-250 yards more consistently. That would open up the rest of our offense a lot.
I agree with most of what you're saying. Masoli definitely wasn't a great passer but he was easily an above average to good passer. And most importanly he got the job done. Who's JR year would you rather have, Dixon's or Masoli's? Masoli's & its not even close.

I'm not really trying to argue Mas' passing prowess either, mostly because he didn't have any. But he was a great football player. This years QB could pass for 250-300 yards a game next year but he's gonna be hard pressed to pull off what Masoli was able to. He just brought something different & rare to the table that is really gonna be missed IMO. Passing for a few more yards a game won't make up for that.

Thankfully this team is so loaded at every position that the new QB has a great chance to be pretty darn successful. I could see DT/Costa being just as successful but we will definitely miss the element that Masoli brought to the team.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Masoli's issue with pocket presence wasn't spooked feet, he just had terrible passing lanes due to his height. If there's pressure in the pocket around him and there aren't many lanes breaking up between the lineman, he never had much to go to. Watch the end of the half in the Rose Bowl, Chip really could only have the guys run seam routes because Masoli's vision only got there once they were downfield.

Which is what worries me about Costa, as he's not much taller than Masoli, although his passing on the move was much more fluid than Masoli's (sans Arizona game, that was an exception).
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:But the fact is, he was a run first QB. Sure he could pass, it's not like he was Chris Harper, but 2100 passing yards with a 58% completion rate on 7 yards per an attempt. The yards isn't too bad, but his completion rate and yards per attempt is pretty horrible. I can't even remember the last QB we had who had stats like that as a senior.

I agree with most of what you're saying. Masoli definitely wasn't a great passer but he was easily an above average to good passer. And most importanly he got the job done. Who's JR year would you rather have, Dixon's or Masoli's? Masoli's & its not even close.

I'm not really trying to argue Mas' passing prowess either, mostly because he didn't have any. But he was a great football player. This years QB could pass for 250-300 yards a game next year but he's gonna be hard pressed to pull off what Masoli was able to. He just brought something different & rare to the table that is really gonna be missed IMO. Passing for a few more yards a game won't make up for that.

Thankfully this team is so loaded at every position that the new QB has a great chance to be pretty darn successful. I could see DT/Costa being just as successful but we will definitely miss the element that Masoli brought to the team.
Dixon was awful as a junior so that's not fair lol. And Masoli's junior year was probably better in terms of passing then his senior year (or at least about the same).

Sure, his style of play was definitely dynamic and worked perfectly in our offense. However, at the same time, you got to wonder what a QB who can pass better at a higher efficiency could do under our team. If Masoli had more of an ability to pass, then championship isn't out of the question. Against Boise State, we DESPERATELY needed some passing. I know our WR's flopped that game too, but man Boise was putting everyone in the box. Gimmie that win with a player like Clemens or Joey. Also against tOSU, if Masoli could pass, we win that game.

Ultimately my point is that his running is surely a big loss, but with a QB that has more ability to pass, I think that could make up the difference between the loss of Masoli's running. We'll see, but I think we'll be perfectly fine without Masoli.

thegreenstain
Three Star Recruit

Post by thegreenstain »

UOducksTK1 wrote: Dixon was awful as a junior so that's not fair lol. And Masoli's junior year was probably better in terms of passing then his senior year (or at least about the same).
Huh? You keep talking as if last season was Masoli's senior season. Masoli was a junior last year. Any which way you look at it, Masoli was a vastly more successful quarterback his sophomore and junior years than Dixon was during those same years of his college career. Of course, Masoli had the benefit of having Chip here those years, while Dixon didn't have the same luxury until his senior season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

thegreenstain wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote: Dixon was awful as a junior so that's not fair lol. And Masoli's junior year was probably better in terms of passing then his senior year (or at least about the same).
Huh? You keep talking as if last season was Masoli's senior season. Masoli was a junior last year. Any which way you look at it, Masoli was a vastly more successful quarterback his sophomore and junior years than Dixon was during those same years of his college career. Of course, Masoli had the benefit of having Chip here those years, while Dixon didn't have the same luxury until his senior season.
Well both started 2 full seasons, and Dixon's senior year was more impressive than either of Masoli's years. Dixon had an awful junior year, I'm not denying that. And I really think not having Chip that year had a lot to do with it. Which proves my point even more that we'll be perfectly fine without Masoli with Chip in charge.

bigfootlebowski
Three Star Recruit

Post by bigfootlebowski »

oregontrack wrote:Masoli wasn't a great passer but he could make the tough throws when it mattered. He always reminded me a bit of Brandon Roy, who isn't a great shooter but always seems to find his jumper when the Blazers need it. Our overall passing numbers might improve, but I think we will miss Masoli for awhile if we find ourselves in a tight game. I never expected Masoli to throw for 300 yards, but I did expect him to complete the necessary passes on a late game drive.

was stellar against arizona this year...very clutch...i just hope DT or costa have the same ability late in games...but in Chip we trust right...so I am sure a pretty good qb will emerge by seasons end...NC or pac10 champ material who knows...
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Yeah I think people are hoping Masoli was a terrible passer. But I'm sorry, thats pretty dumb. He didn't have a super accurate arm & had games where he made some bad decisions but he was still a good passer. You don't do what he did without being one.

And like oregontrack said, he made the throws when it counted. Who cares if DT throws for 450 yards & 5 TDs is he can't lead a game winning drive. It amazes me how obsessed people are with the passing game. I just want results. Whether its on the ground or through the air, results are what matter. Did we win? THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. Thats what Masoli got us & he will be missed without a doubt.
But the fact is, he was a run first QB. Sure he could pass, it's not like he was Chris Harper, but 2100 passing yards with a 58% completion rate on 7 yards per an attempt. The yards isn't too bad, but his completion rate and yards per attempt is pretty horrible. I can't even remember the last QB we had who had stats like that as a senior.

We can't really go by stats, though. As long as we're running the spread-option, we're not going to be putting up passing numbers like what we used to. West Virginia's offense is as close to ours as there is in college football, and Pat White was a Heisman contender his final two years despite not once (in 4 years as a starter) coming close to throwing for 2,000 yards in a single season (although his % was much better).

Our offense is already nigh-unstoppable more often than it's not. If we throw for 200-250 yards more consistently, that will only come at the expense of the high rushing totals we put up. Which is fine, however we choose the move ball is just fine, as long as that ball is moved. We really can't "open up the rest of the offense" much more than it already is.
ImageImageImageImageImage
slickajk
One Star Recruit

Post by slickajk »

I am excited to see the WR slant again (not 100% sure that is the correct route)! It can be very effective on third and 4-7 yards situations and has kept the chains moving in the past. Masoli could never see over the line well enough complete that pass.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

Dennis had one year with Chip. Imagine if he had Chip his junior year, there's no way that his numbers would have been as bad.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I think the issue, as has already been alluded to, will be the close games. Beyond his excellence in some of the blowouts, Masoli did bring a certain attitude/presence that we saw vs. UA and OSU (and perhaps throw in the previous year's Holiday Bowl) that was special in tight games, where he just got things done. While I think that overall the 2010 offense might be as good (or even better??) statistically than last year's, where we'll hope we don't miss Masoli is (in the subjunctive mood) when we're behind late in the second half and we need a QB to make plays.