USA Olympic Basketball

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

oregontrack
All Pac-12

USA Olympic Basketball

Post by oregontrack »

i LOVE olympic basketball. though i refuse to call it the dream team anymore -- c'mon, that was a one-time thing -- i get surprisingly into it every four years. i even watched every second of it in '04, our infamous bronze medal team. it's the one time, every four years, i can even cheer for kobe bryant.

this year's team:

chris paul/deron williams/russell westbrook
kobe bryant/james harden
lebron james/carmelo anthony/andre iguodala
kevin durant/blake griffin
tyson chandler/kevin love

obviously there's so much versatility in this group a depth chart is never really going to be accurate. the lack of big men is even offset by the fact lebron and carmelo could probably be as devastating at the 4 as anywhere.

should be a fun couple weeks.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Re: USA Olympic Basketball

Post by greenyellow »

This is probably one of the most athletic, versatile teams they've put together. I really think that basically anyone who's over 6'8" is going to play center at some time since the international game and the team's talent allows it.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

It is unfortunate Chris Bosh can't play this time. He was a real key to the '08 team and basically the perfect center for international style of play. Bosh would have been a much more important piece for this team than Dwight Howard would have been, for example. Regardless, I am sure this team will survive somehow. :lol:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

gogreen55 wrote:It is unfortunate Chris Bosh can't play this time. He was a real key to the '08 team and basically the perfect center for international style of play. Bosh would have been a much more important piece for this team than Dwight Howard would have been, for example. Regardless, I am sure this team will survive somehow. :lol:
Love and Chandler work just fine since Love can step outside to hit 3s and Chandler is a great defensive player. Griffin is kind of like Howard, in that he's somewhat limited range-wise, but has a toughness and athleticism down low that many opponents can't match.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Would like to see them have 1 or 2 more in the 4 and 5 spots, but I'll trust that the coaches know what they are doing. Any reason why LA isn't on the team?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

RanDux wrote:Would like to see them have 1 or 2 more in the 4 and 5 spots, but I'll trust that the coaches know what they are doing. Any reason why LA isn't on the team?
He had some minor hip surgery and then some type of blood infection that forced him out.
uodux1212
Senior

Post by uodux1212 »

I saw the original dream team play at the tournament of the America's is Portland that summer.

So. Cool.

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

RanDux wrote:Would like to see them have 1 or 2 more in the 4 and 5 spots, but I'll trust that the coaches know what they are doing. Any reason why LA isn't on the team?
I think he'd have very likely made the team if not for surgery.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

It's amazing that we can be so dominant in this sport. Even with Bosh/Dwade/Howard/LMA/Rose out we are still the heavy heavy favorites.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Blake Griffin injured his knee today at practice and is likely to be out for quite some time. They've had to recall Anthony Davis to fill out the roster even though he's not 100% with his sprained ankle. This team would have absolutely dominated had they not had so many injuries, but they still have enough firepower (hopefully) to win the gold.
OreDucks01284
Senior

USA Olympic Basketball

Post by OreDucks01284 »

whats wrong with having amare? he was part of 2007 team for fibia america championship?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OreDucks01284 wrote:whats wrong with having amare? he was part of 2007 team for fibia america championship?
I think that USA Basketball already submitted the players who'd be part of of the team to IOC so they have to use only people on that list. The only other players on that list are Eric Gordon and Rudy Gay, both of who aren't natural post players, which leaves only Davis.
OreDucks01284
Senior

USA Olympic Basketball

Post by OreDucks01284 »

ah i see, not enough bigs but alot of talents on 2012 team
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMO-z4O1D54
highlights from the game last night. I can't wait to get started.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13