Masoli
Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1
-
monster
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 934
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:15 pm
Re: Masoli
Kid needs to cease throwing laser beams if he's gonna be a QB. Now, with Masoli (and Blount
) and anyone else the Ducks could have had an awesome triple option like Navy.
-
duck58
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 666
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:56 pm
Re: Masoli
Not if he goes in the tank again against Utah or Cal. I don't think it's a matter of bandwagon or not. It is a legitimate concern, if he is an inconsistent performer.Destroyer77 wrote:Realy? Everyone jumping off the Masoli bandwaggon like it's on fire? So can I expect you to say that Masoli is a Greek God whom can do no wrong after a redeeming performance against Purdue? Let's not take the next train to panicville this soon please.
-
GoDucksIn09
- Senior
- Posts: 3086
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am
Re: Masoli
Alright guys.. for the record here..... I said this before the season. I am sticking with Masoli..he is a gamer... he had a bad game.. but the O line was of no help to him. I still support Masoli 150%.. and I still supposrt Kelly as being our head coach. I personally think these guys that are jumping off the bandwagon after one game are bunch of wusses and have not been to games where the ducks sucked all season just like they did in the 70's. We got out our butt kicked on both sides of the ball. I will remain faithful to Masoli.. as I will to Chip Kelly. For those who arent.. try for just a moment to put yourselves in their shoes.. with all the distractions.. this crap of jumping off the bandwagon needs to stop.. This is a horrible situation and they need our support possibly now more than ever. Can you imagine being on the team with all these distractions.. I know I cant and I feel deeply for the team having to put up with it all.. let alone with all the crying of the fans and the jumping off the bandwagon so quickly. Get a grip.
GOOOOOOOOOOOO DUCKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUCKLSSSSSSS
GOOOOOOOOOOOO DUCKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUCKLSSSSSSS
-
polyduck
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 533
- Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 pm
- Location: Vancouver. WA
Re: Masoli
deep breath guys.....if we had the same O-LINE we had last year, we wouldn't be talkin' about a loss here. What we have is basically a NEW O-LINE that Masoli is workin' with....give them a chance to gel... it'll be alright! we can't push the PANIC button yet.....it's ONLY the 1st game of the season!duck58 wrote:Not if he goes in the tank again against Utah or Cal. I don't think it's a matter of bandwagon or not. It is a legitimate concern, if he is an inconsistent performer.Destroyer77 wrote:Realy? Everyone jumping off the Masoli bandwaggon like it's on fire? So can I expect you to say that Masoli is a Greek God whom can do no wrong after a redeeming performance against Purdue? Let's not take the next train to panicville this soon please.
C'mon....give the kid a break, you weren't callin' Masoli an "inconsistent performer" the last 2 games of the season last year......
-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8646
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: Masoli
Agreed polyduck. Masoli has serious skill, I don't know why people are questioning that after just one bad game. How have you guys already forgotten what he accomplished last year?! Before the season everyone of you talked about those last 3 games & couldn't wait for Masoli to just carry that over to this season. Now he struggles in ONE game (A lot of factors that weren't his fault) & he's no good....get some perspective guys.polyduck wrote:deep breath guys.....if we had the same O-LINE we had last year, we wouldn't be talkin' about a loss here. What we have is basically a NEW O-LINE that Masoli is workin' with....give them a chance to gel... it'll be alright! we can't push the PANIC button yet.....it's ONLY the 1st game of the season!duck58 wrote:Not if he goes in the tank again against Utah or Cal. I don't think it's a matter of bandwagon or not. It is a legitimate concern, if he is an inconsistent performer.Destroyer77 wrote:Realy? Everyone jumping off the Masoli bandwaggon like it's on fire? So can I expect you to say that Masoli is a Greek God whom can do no wrong after a redeeming performance against Purdue? Let's not take the next train to panicville this soon please.
C'mon....give the kid a break, you weren't callin' Masoli an "inconsistent performer" the last 2 games of the season last year......

-
northbeachsf
- Freshman
- Posts: 1494
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Re: Masoli
Masoli is not going to beat ANYONE with his arm. If the offesive line continues to play like a bunch of drunkin midgets, then there is no way Masoli is going to be successful. Notice that since Oregon could not establish a running game, BSU sat back in nickel almost the entire game. There is NO way Masoli is going to be able to pick a part a nickel defense that is keying on the pass. He does not have the touch or the accuracy. Therefore, unless the offensive line can get their crap together like now, then we are going to see a lot more Cal game performances from Masoli. Since Costa is clearly the better passer, I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting for the Cal game if we can't get the running game going.
- greenyellow
- Moderator

- Posts: 39213
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
- Location: Eugene, OR
Re: Masoli
I don't know how you can say that Masoli can't throw? He passed for over 3,000 yards in his one year at CCSF. You don't do that if you couldn't pass. While I'm not saying he'll throw for that many yards, he is going to put up decent numbers if he has better pass protection and is able to get comfortable with his WRs and TEs. One game is way too early to discuss replacing the QB, especially since Costa is said to only be at about 90%.

- wheaton4prez
- Senior
- Posts: 3568
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 pm
Re: Masoli
I think it's similar to how Dixon wasn't comfortable with the scheme in 2006.
The o line issues were tough to deal with. But, something about what Masoli was trying to do just looked awkward and unnatural. It seems like they made some tweaks that didn't work out the way they anticipated at game-time.
We know that he can play well because he has done so against quality defenses. So, it seems that we should be able to find a way back to that with Masoli.
The o line issues were tough to deal with. But, something about what Masoli was trying to do just looked awkward and unnatural. It seems like they made some tweaks that didn't work out the way they anticipated at game-time.
We know that he can play well because he has done so against quality defenses. So, it seems that we should be able to find a way back to that with Masoli.
- spinseeker
- Freshman
- Posts: 1391
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 am
- Location: Springfield
- Contact:
Re: Masoli
I think after the first couple of three and outs he was starting to panic a little and that made his throws even worse. He was able to calm down a bit at the half and finally get the ball moving in the third and fourth, just too many turnovers near the end.
I hate hearing you guys bag on Maehl, too. He is a stud. Does an excellent job of getting open AND making the catches that are catchable. Remember - he was being covered by Boise's best corner who is expected to go in the top rounds of the draft next year. He also didn't get any help from the passes. And the refs didn't review the first catch he made that he DID get his foot down in bounds that they called out of bounds.
There were major O line issues this game. It was a hostile environment and loud. It makes it difficult for a young line to get on the same page because they can't hear themselves communicate. Expect the next four weeks to be better because we will be at home and they can talk if they need to communicate. I remember them saying they haven't been together long enough to know what each one is doing without some communication YET.
this team will look different next week and everyone will assume it was a fluke... until our next away game and we see some more difficulties. Hopefully they will have had enough time to gel some and it won't hurt as much.
I hate hearing you guys bag on Maehl, too. He is a stud. Does an excellent job of getting open AND making the catches that are catchable. Remember - he was being covered by Boise's best corner who is expected to go in the top rounds of the draft next year. He also didn't get any help from the passes. And the refs didn't review the first catch he made that he DID get his foot down in bounds that they called out of bounds.
There were major O line issues this game. It was a hostile environment and loud. It makes it difficult for a young line to get on the same page because they can't hear themselves communicate. Expect the next four weeks to be better because we will be at home and they can talk if they need to communicate. I remember them saying they haven't been together long enough to know what each one is doing without some communication YET.
this team will look different next week and everyone will assume it was a fluke... until our next away game and we see some more difficulties. Hopefully they will have had enough time to gel some and it won't hurt as much.
- echo31
- Five Star Recruit
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am
- Location: Portland
Re: Masoli
How do you know that? How is that clear? There is NOTHING that proves this.northbeachsf wrote:Since Costa is clearly the better passer ...

-
dthomas=ddixon
- Moderator

- Posts: 8646
- Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:42 pm
- Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Re: Masoli
Thank you echo31!echo31 wrote:How do you know that? How is that clear? There is NOTHING that proves this.northbeachsf wrote:Since Costa is clearly the better passer ...
Clearly the better passer? When have you seen this? When has this been demostrated? In practice?! Masoli's looked great in practice too. Costa hasn't played in a real game in TWO YEARS. Get real guys. Costa is a really good QB I'm sure but claiming he is so much better than Masoli & this other BS about Costa being the starter now is based on nothing. NOTHING.

-
duck58
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 666
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:56 pm
Re: Masoli
[
Not if he goes in the tank again against Utah or Cal. I don't think it's a matter of bandwagon or not. It is a legitimate concern, if he is an inconsistent performer.[/quote]
deep breath guys.....if we had the same O-LINE we had last year, we wouldn't be talkin' about a loss here. What we have is basically a NEW O-LINE that Masoli is workin' with....give them a chance to gel... it'll be alright! we can't push the PANIC button yet.....it's ONLY the 1st game of the season!
C'mon....give the kid a break, you weren't callin' Masoli an "inconsistent performer" the last 2 games of the season last year......[/quote]
Agreed polyduck. Masoli has serious skill, I don't know why people are questioning that after just one bad game. How have you guys already forgotten what he accomplished last year?! Before the season everyone of you talked about those last 3 games & couldn't wait for Masoli to just carry that over to this season. Now he struggles in ONE game (A lot of factors that weren't his fault) & he's no good....get some perspective guys.[/quote]
Against UA he had a terrific 1st half but struggled in 2nd half. UA almost came back in 2nd half. Struggled in 1st half of Holiday bowl but went lights out in 2nd half. A lot of that was the coaches going conservative against UA. His only complete game was CW. I'm not calling him an inconsistent performer now. We need to wait and see. And I'm not for going to Costa yet. But if Costa is the better QB, as some say, he should play. Why they say that I'm not sure. BSU is a very good team and had a perfect defense to which our coaching staff never adjusted. BSU was actually quicker than we were. Why didn't we utilize our speed more, I don'tknow. LMJ,only 2 carries. By the way, seasons not over yet. I expect the O-line will improve as season goes on. Did anyone think we woul play fo NC this year?
Not if he goes in the tank again against Utah or Cal. I don't think it's a matter of bandwagon or not. It is a legitimate concern, if he is an inconsistent performer.[/quote]
deep breath guys.....if we had the same O-LINE we had last year, we wouldn't be talkin' about a loss here. What we have is basically a NEW O-LINE that Masoli is workin' with....give them a chance to gel... it'll be alright! we can't push the PANIC button yet.....it's ONLY the 1st game of the season!
C'mon....give the kid a break, you weren't callin' Masoli an "inconsistent performer" the last 2 games of the season last year......[/quote]
Agreed polyduck. Masoli has serious skill, I don't know why people are questioning that after just one bad game. How have you guys already forgotten what he accomplished last year?! Before the season everyone of you talked about those last 3 games & couldn't wait for Masoli to just carry that over to this season. Now he struggles in ONE game (A lot of factors that weren't his fault) & he's no good....get some perspective guys.[/quote]
Against UA he had a terrific 1st half but struggled in 2nd half. UA almost came back in 2nd half. Struggled in 1st half of Holiday bowl but went lights out in 2nd half. A lot of that was the coaches going conservative against UA. His only complete game was CW. I'm not calling him an inconsistent performer now. We need to wait and see. And I'm not for going to Costa yet. But if Costa is the better QB, as some say, he should play. Why they say that I'm not sure. BSU is a very good team and had a perfect defense to which our coaching staff never adjusted. BSU was actually quicker than we were. Why didn't we utilize our speed more, I don'tknow. LMJ,only 2 carries. By the way, seasons not over yet. I expect the O-line will improve as season goes on. Did anyone think we woul play fo NC this year?
- midwestduck82
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 319
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm
- Location: Michigan
Re: Masoli
I hope that we somehow put up some points to give Costa a chance later in the game. I want to see him on the field for the first time in two years.
It is too early to give up on Masoli, but I hope they are working on him making better reads in the option and in passing. If we lose to Purdue I won't hear the end of it in BIG10 country. Masoli will be out if it is because of a slow passing game.
It is too early to give up on Masoli, but I hope they are working on him making better reads in the option and in passing. If we lose to Purdue I won't hear the end of it in BIG10 country. Masoli will be out if it is because of a slow passing game.
-
monster
- Four Star Recruit
- Posts: 934
- Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:15 pm
Re: Masoli
You guys remember that throw Darron Thomas made in the Civil War? Has anyone seen Masoli throw a ball like that? Jacory Harris was throwing those all night tonight ... I can't remember if I've ever seen Masoli do it.
- midwestduck82
- Three Star Recruit
- Posts: 319
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:35 pm
- Location: Michigan
Re: Masoli
monster wrote:You guys remember that throw Darron Thomas made in the Civil War? Has anyone seen Masoli throw a ball like that? Jacory Harris was throwing those all night tonight ... I can't remember if I've ever seen Masoli do it.
I think he lacks decent depth perception. If it is right in front of him, he is throwing as hard as he can. If the throw should go over someone's shoulder, he is throwing as hard as he can. If the ball should be going ahead of a reciever running down the sideline, it is practically making it to the crowd as fast as it can. I don't think that Masoli will ever be Harris. I hope he finds out how to get close soon, though.