Just got back from the game..

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40596
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Just got back from the game..

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Before I go to bed, lemme share how I felt about the game.

Poor offensively played game by the ducks in the first half (especially the run game). However, I loved what I saw in the 2nd half. A couple dropped passes, and penalties hindered us from scoring more points. Also Lamichael James looked really good and I think he should start next games (Barner is pretty special too).

Defense gets major props. It's sad that at one point the defense was scoring more points than the offense! But they stepped it up and made big plays.

WHY DOESN'T ED DICKSON GET MORE PASSES THROWN HIS WAY?? Pisses me off, anyway we walk away with a win so I'm happy.

Good night.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
spacefrog13x
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by spacefrog13x »

i think dickson has a hard time getting seen, because teams blitz up the middle against us, to close off the passing lanes the line needs to make for masoli due to his stature. thats just my theory anyways.

I liked in the 2nd half when James started letting the game come to him..both him and barner a couple times waited for the defense to overrrun the play and hit the gap with authority.. they also did a bit of the Jaquizz Rogers move where they kinda hid behind the O line.

It was nice to see a glimmer of some of the old offense out their tonight.

That Counter play that barner scored on, on 3rd and 20 was a ballsey/great play call. Love that play and its nice to see it run..if you remember thats a play that Oklahoma killed us with in the holiday bowl a few years ago...really takes an overly aggressive run d out position.
User avatar
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1158
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm
Location: Grants Pass Oregon

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by EncinitasDuck »

I agree, would love to see Dickson get more passes thrown his way. Seemed like he was out a lot in the 2nd half. He had a great block on Masoli's touchdown, so he needs to be in the game.

Hated seeing Holland dropping a couple, especially the ez touchdown. Would have been great to see him open it up down the sideline for a score. Guess we'll just have to keep waiting to really see his speed in action.
gosterman01
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by gosterman01 »

I will probably get some slack for this but honestly guys, I would like to see Costa for a couple plays see what he brings to the passing game. Also why isn't our other WR out there Jackson,Gain etc. Please start James and bring in Barner throughout the game!
Image
User avatar
duckscribe
Three Star Recruit
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by duckscribe »

I'd like to see both Costa and Masoli in the backfield.
Do you need a transfusion of GREEN O Positive?
woundedknees
All-American
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by woundedknees »

What happened to Mr. Catch Everything in His Area, Lavasier Tuinei?

Several of the guys we heard kudos about continually have been invisible, so far.
Last edited by woundedknees on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Image
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by maxduck »

woundedknees wrote:What happened to Mr. Catch Everything in His Area, Lavasier Tuinei?

Several ot he guys we heard kudos about continually have been invisible, so far.
We only have two wide receivers who have combined for a total of 16 catches (Maehl-10, Holland-6), nobody else.
ducksrock
Senior
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:08 am

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by ducksrock »

maxduck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:What happened to Mr. Catch Everything in His Area, Lavasier Tuinei?

Several ot he guys we heard kudos about continually have been invisible, so far.
We only have two wide receivers who have combined for a total of 16 catches (Maehl-10, Holland-6), nobody else.
I surely understand what u r trying to say, but Ed Dickson has caught a pass or maybe two, so your statement is incorrect and a bit misleading...Last night he caught one of em...That ism unless someone else is wearing a #83 jersey...lol
Last edited by ducksrock on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
maxduck
Senior
Posts: 3763
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by maxduck »

ducksrock wrote:
maxduck wrote:
woundedknees wrote:What happened to Mr. Catch Everything in His Area, Lavasier Tuinei?

Several ot he guys we heard kudos about continually have been invisible, so far.
We only have two wide receivers who have combined for a total of 16 catches (Maehl-10, Holland-6), nobody else.
I surely understand what u r trying to say, but Ed Dickson has caught a few passes, so your statement is incorrect and a bit misleading...

The last time I looked Ed Dickson was a tight end, has he changed positions?
woundedknees
All-American
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by woundedknees »

We heard a lot about Tuinei being a can't miss receiver all fall, yet I have not heard his number called once, let alone that of Gaines.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Image
duckgrad99
All Pac-12
Posts: 6086
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by duckgrad99 »

woundedknees wrote:We heard a lot about Tuinei being a can't miss receiver all fall, yet I have not heard his number called once, let alone that of Gaines.


Exactly. Other than Maehl and Holland, I don't think I have heard any of our wide receivers number called. Masoli and the passing game really have to improve.
Image
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 804
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:10 am

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by Greydrake »

IMO I see the defenses focusing within the box which tends to make those short crossing routes a difficulty to execute. Masoli's postgame interview seemed to support the fact of getting the defense to loosen up. Right now with a spread field we seem to be running 6 players against 7 or 8, the defenses focusing on stopping the run and forcing Masoli's arm to beat them. Unless the line can spring an opening, the inside game is limited. Masoli's second half scrambles definitely helped, this seemed to force some hesitation on the defense to refrain from immediately biting and opened up the inside game. I personally don't like seeing him sitting in the pocket early in the game as much as the play calls have emphasized this year.
GoDucksIn09
Senior
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I was at the game.. and listened to the post game show on KUGN. One thing they mentioned about Dickson and lack of passes to him as somebody called in wondering about the same thing. According the guys taking the call they feel the problem with passing to Dickson is Masoli is not tall enough to be able to see over the d line rushing him and therefore does not have the vision to pass over the middle. They want to seee Masoli roll out more then can pass to Dickson more. I hadnt thought about it but it does make sense. I am not a pro analyst but it is something to consider. I worry about us being able to have a winning season though. Our defense lacks the killer instinct. They make a play and score points.. then the next drive let Purdue come back and close the gap or tie the game. So was times they played great.. then other times they would have a 3rd down and have an oppurtunity to get off the field.. only to allow Purdue to convert and have the defense stay on the field. On offense.. the O line continues to be a problem. A lot of times they would not block well enough to give Masoli time to pass.. or to open running lanes for our RB's. I look for Masoli to roll out more.. away from the pressure. Just my thoughts.
User avatar
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 40596
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:28 pm
GM: Boston Celtics GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Just got back from the game..

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I was at the game.. and listened to the post game show on KUGN. One thing they mentioned about Dickson and lack of passes to him as somebody called in wondering about the same thing. According the guys taking the call they feel the problem with passing to Dickson is Masoli is not tall enough to be able to see over the d line rushing him and therefore does not have the vision to pass over the middle. They want to seee Masoli roll out more then can pass to Dickson more. I hadnt thought about it but it does make sense. I am not a pro analyst but it is something to consider. I worry about us being able to have a winning season though. Our defense lacks the killer instinct. They make a play and score points.. then the next drive let Purdue come back and close the gap or tie the game. So was times they played great.. then other times they would have a 3rd down and have an oppurtunity to get off the field.. only to allow Purdue to convert and have the defense stay on the field. On offense.. the O line continues to be a problem. A lot of times they would not block well enough to give Masoli time to pass.. or to open running lanes for our RB's. I look for Masoli to roll out more.. away from the pressure. Just my thoughts.
Well Masoli is small and he's always has some problems seeing the open receiver. But regardless of that, Dickson should start being his first option when he drops back for a pass. I couldn't at least 3 times where Dickson was noticeably open and Masoli had time to throw. Coaches need to get Dickson the ball more because he has the best hands and he is a stud player. Also I thought Masoli played really well yesterday, and if it weren't for some dropped passes, his stats would look a lot better.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Post Reply