Dream Finish

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by ducks5ever »

whosyourwally wrote:I think what’s controversial is the idea of pushing kids out that we’ve allowed to commit. That’s a garbage thing to do. We hate on kids that back away from a commitment; when it’s a school doing it, what’s that say about the leadership. Hard pass on coaches that act like they are all about their players and then push them out when something more shiny comes along. Cristobal hasn’t done it yet that I know of, so I’m not ragging on him, but I really don’t want to blindly accept that that’s just something big time programs have to do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's more tough love than controversial. It really serves the best interests for both parties. I'm not a talent evaluator but let's just say for the sake of argument that Bailey doesn't actually fit this offense. Why have him waste 2+ years sitting on the bench here where perhaps he could play by year 2 or 3 in an offense that actually fits his skill set? Same goes with Andre. Why would he want to sit on the bench for 2+ years when he could be in the starting line up of Iowa or Maryland by his second year if he's really that skilled? I'm not putting all this on the player. I remember someone else mentioned that the coaching staff may have been star gazing when they went after some of these players (ie. highly rated players that don't necessarily fit what we're trying to do here).
duckfan96
Senior
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by duckfan96 »

Simple fix for that scenario only recruit players that you want and/or fit your system. Anything else seems a waste of time and effort
User avatar
UofDuck
Senior
Posts: 3944
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by UofDuck »

Slippery slope. But if a kid is really trying and not progressing, that’s on the coaches in their talent eval. Can’t pull his scholarship. However, if a kid isn’t trying and not overly interested, I’m fine pulling his scholarship. Give it to someone committed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm super torn on this subject, but want to throw in the 'how would you feel if it was your kid' perspective as food for thought.
alxtw
Freshman
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by alxtw »

Just do what Bama, Ohio State, and the other top dogs do. Have the extra recruits "pay their own way" and not count towards scholarships. :lol:
hslack
One Star Recruit
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Re: Dream Finish

Post by hslack »

StevensTechU wrote:Jimmy, I think the names you highlighted would make the most sense, except maybe Anderson (I'll explain).

After signing a big OL class in '21, I haven't understood the Lewis offer since the beginning. The Ducks will have to replace George Moore next year, but Kingsley seems to already be ready to do that and Bram Walden, Jaylan Jeffers and Faaope are there for depth. The next season when Steven Jones leaves, you anticipate one of those three guys will be ready to start, and 5-star Kelvin Banks will be in year 2. So I think if he's not a surefire all-american, you don't take him.

Winston plays a position of need (Edge) but he just isn't that athletically gifted. I think if I was rating the commitments, he'd probably come in last. I think his best chance to make a splash at the collegiate level is to add weight to his already big frame and play inside on the line. Who knows if he can do that or if he wants to do that.

Anderson or Setagna would be the receivers I would be most likely to cut. Setagna has a different skill set than the others as more of a speed guy, but cutting Anderson could have a domino effect since he plays at powerhouse Katy HS (TX) and I believe has some connection with the other Texas commitments (Banks, Johnson). So that's a tricky position.

The only other 'fat' I think you could trim, potentially, is Andre Dollars. After signing 2 TEs in 2021 who both look like contributors, having Spencer Webb for at least two more years, and having Herbert for 3 more, I don't think you have to take a tight end in this class. I also haven't seen any video in him later than his sophomore highlights, so I don't know how good he is.

Hard to see much else that you can cut outside of those options. It's a really good class.

Winston is the younger brother of La'Mar Winston Jr. so I don't anticipate they will cut ties with him, especially since he is in-state.
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

The Ducks have made a couple offers recently to edge rushers, one out of Illinois/CT and the other out of Oklahoma. Because of this, my belief that Oregon will land Bishop Gorman DE/OLB Cyrus Moss is dramatically waning (247 has Oregon as the favorite for Moss). That's just usually how these things go; when offers go out late, it's because the staff now knows they missed on someone else.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

StevensTechU wrote:The Ducks have made a couple offers recently to edge rushers, one out of Illinois/CT and the other out of Oklahoma. Because of this, my belief that Oregon will land Bishop Gorman DE/OLB Cyrus Moss is dramatically waning (247 has Oregon as the favorite for Moss). That's just usually how these things go; when offers go out late, it's because the staff now knows they missed on someone else.
I agree ISH---

This could also be due to players who were originally recruited to play on the EDGE being moved inside due to injuries and/ or players who recruited to play EDGE and the coaches like them better elsewhere and therefore they had a need to restock the EDGE position with more players. (Jabril McNeil, Jeffrey Bassa)

You could be right, but I do believe there could be other reasons for the flurry of offers.

I think they could still land Moss and take another to fill the void left by McNeil.
User avatar
ncduck
Senior
Posts: 2189
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 am
Location: Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Re: Dream Finish

Post by ncduck »

A lot of you follow recruiting more closely than I’ve been able to for some time. Is there a chance the new offers are at least partially related to players finally having some good/recent tape?
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

Additionally, we have so little depth, we have TE playing major time on the edge
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

I may have spoken too soon. I open up Twitter this morning and I see Mario Cristobal retweeting a whole bunch of posts. They're from all Duck commits (Cam Williams, Nick Anderson, Kelvin Banks) except one- Cyrus Moss.

Not what you'd expect from a coach if he was informed that his guy had moved on. So we'll see. Still in the running.
jimmy12
Senior
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Dream Finish

Post by jimmy12 »

I am hoping you are now right. Let’s hope we’re going for depth
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:I am hoping you are now right. Let’s hope we’re going for depth
With the limit of 25 new players, there was a discussion* and a decision made somewhere. Curious what they're not taking now.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Dream Finish

Post by Duck07 »

jimmy12 wrote:Additionally, we have so little depth, we have TE playing major time on the edge
interestingly enough, I think DJ Johnson has a chance at the NFL if he can excel at ST early on and be an actual 2-way player like Will Tukuafu was able to do. May not ever be starter quality but good depth is a way to longevity.

I would hope the KT effect of being a Top 3 pick helps sway a big name to come to Eugene. Cyrus Moss looks like Justin Hollins playing in #11 in his Hudl tape.
Image
User avatar
StevensTechU
All Pac-12
Posts: 7116
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 am
Location: Hoboken, NJ

Re: Dream Finish

Post by StevensTechU »

Justin Hollins was such an undervalued recruit. 6'5, long body who ran a 10.56 100m. On top of that, he's a really smart guy. Only thing ever holding that guy back is injuries.
Post Reply