Page 1 of 2
Revision our expectations...
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:53 pm
by Tray Dub
What do you guys think our regular season record will be, after watching the BSU game and knowing our running back is done for the year?
I say we lose to Cal, USC, Oregon State, and then Stanford, Arizona, ASU, or UCLA. So 7-5. REALLY hoping I'm wrong. I'll support this team with all my heart, but I see us at around 7-5, with 9-3 being the best reasonable outcome and 5-7 being the worst.
Edit: sorry, I'm on a lot of Vicodin after getting my wisdom teeth pulled today

... Title should read "Revising our expectations"
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:25 am
by Greydrake
From what I saw 7-5 would be a good result foor the team. There is talent, but it might take the season for the O-line to gel into a level of last years potency. In such a case I am hoping for the Beavers to play well enough for a BCS bid on the line so we can crush that dream.
Ducks will be firing on all cylinders by seasons end.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:49 pm
by Tray Dub
Bump. I'm curious as to who you guys think we beat, lose to, etc. now that we have a more accurate picture of our team.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:03 pm
by northbeachsf
If the O-Line plays like they did last game, Oregon might just finish 8th in the Pac-10 like Phil Steele predicted. Hope they can get it together. I think they will at some point. 7-5 is my guess.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:19 pm
by huckthefuskies
Tray Dub wrote:Bump. I'm curious as to who you guys think we beat, lose to, etc. now that we have a more accurate picture of our team.
I don't think the first week of the season is ever enough of a sample or a good enough look at our players to ever make an eval. Players develop and mature too much in the first couple weeks. It is kind of the point of the nonconference/preseason.
I have doubts against Cal, Usc, at least one other if not two pac 10's and nervous about Utah. It is all a guess though. Hate to admit it but even Washington looked pretty good tonight and Lsu's defense has a ton of talent.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 pm
by duckgrad99
Oregon went 9-3 in the regular season last year, and that could have easily been 6-6 after escaping with some wins. I don't think the team is as good this time around regardless of the Boise St game. We lost so much talent on both sides of the ball. I'm always bad with predictions though and often a jinx, so I will leave it at that.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:48 pm
by Canard
I voted 7-5. We will finish eighth or worse if we don't find some decent O-line, get the play calling a lot more inspired, and some decent QB execution.
I expect those things all to improve.
We have no accurate picture of the squad until we see the entirety of the next three home games. Young teams do better at home than on the road. So do inexperienced HCs.

Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:57 am
by karlhungis
We had better show some VAST improvement this week. If we come out looking as inept as we did on Thursday, I don't think we break .500. We could easily lose to everyone else on our schedule except for WSU and possibly UW.
I still haven't heard Chip explain the terrible performance yet. It is hard to believe he was so happy with the teams progress only to see them come out the way that they did. I am curious what his take on it is and how he plans on rectifying it.
But based on Thursdays game, I put us down for being under .500
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:56 am
by GoDucksIn09
I put 7-5 although honestly I just do not know who we will beat other than WSU. Purdue looked pretty good so this one is iffy... heck even UW looked good against LSU and thats downright scary to think we will sink that low. I cant say who we will beat because I just do not know. I will still pick us to beat Purdue since it is here and since is a night game.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:36 pm
by duckfbfan15
From what i saw. We are good enough on Defense and special teams to win almost every game.. The Offensive line is either going to man up and we will start rolling again or they are gonna sink this season real fast
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:40 pm
by dthomas=ddixon
9-3. One game doesn't determine a season. Especially opening game on the road at the #14 team in the nation. It's really funny how easily fans are swayed. If we had opened at home against a team like Portland State, we would have won in a huge blowout & the expectations for this team would still be sky high.
I have lowered my expectations a bit for the season but only because we just lost arguably our best player for the year. If the O line improves (which I think they will) we will be fine. Now go home bandwagoners, we didn't want you anyways.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 am
by ducksrock
dthomas=ddixon wrote:9-3. One game doesn't determine a season. Especially opening game on the road at the #14 team in the nation. It's really funny how easily fans are swayed. If we had opened at home against a team like Portland State, we would have won in a huge blowout & the expectations for this team would still be sky high.
I have lowered my expectations a bit for the season but only because we just lost arguably our best player for the year. If the O line improves (which I think they will) we will be fine. Now go home bandwagoners, we didn't want you anyways.
We havent lost our best player...We have gained a NEW BEST PLAYER.....Just need to figure out who that team member is gonna be...Hey, Its a Glass Half Full Mentality...GOOOOO DUCKS....
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:52 pm
by gregspechtismyhero
9-3. The Rodents got embarrassed by Penn State last year, and look what they did. Not comparing PSU to BSU, but still, don't jump ship. This is the same reaction that arose during the Stanford game when Masoli got booed. (which is BS) I still have high hopes for this team, we can still do something special.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:53 pm
by Legions
Rose Bowl baby!
I think if our O-line can show some marked improvement against Purdue a 3 loss season is entirely do-able.
Re: Revision our expectations...
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:19 pm
by SuperDuck
The advantage of playing such a tough OOC schedule is that the young guys will be battle tested by the time we get into conference play.
Even if we lose to Cal we'll still get WSU at home the following week with a great chance of being 1-1 in Pac-10 play when we visit UCLA.
I wouldn't want to play us in the second half of the season. By then these young guys should be on the same page and our skill players will be tearing it up!
I'm thinking 8-4 and either Emerald or Las Vegas Bowl.