Defense win

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Post Reply
User avatar
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 623
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Defense win

Post by Quietduck »

We owe this one to the defense. Without a great game from them this is another embarrassment. The offense is improving but it needs to keep growing.

Quietduck.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12
Posts: 6086
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Defense win

Post by duckgrad99 »

I cannot say that I agree. The 2 interceptions were obviously huge, but outside of that, the defense was terrible. I think the win goes to our running backs stepping up in the second half.
Image
User avatar
OreDucks01284
Senior
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Defense win

Post by OreDucks01284 »

Our D had too many poor tackle, We need to tackle below hip to stop bolden running foward.
Image
duck55
Senior
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Keizer OR

Re: Defense win

Post by duck55 »

Zenitram wrote:I think the refs were way too quick to call that onside kick recovery. Whoever ended up with it at the bottom of the scrum should have gotten it, and I think that was Purdue.
Not being there , I really couldn't say who got the ball last but the ref who called it was a little closer to the play. I hope the Ref doesn't start getting death threats from Indiana (or OK). :lol:
hjpop
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: Defense win

Post by hjpop »

The D had its blown coverage, missed tackles, too many tackles at the shoulders...but without Thurmond's pick-6 and Lewis' fumble return, we would've lost. You can't say that the RBs playing better in the 4th did more than the D. Our D had us hanging on in the game and carried us through. This game definitely went to the D.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12
Posts: 6086
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Defense win

Post by duckgrad99 »

hjpop wrote:The D had its blown coverage, missed tackles, too many tackles at the shoulders...but without Thurmond's pick-6 and Lewis' fumble return, we would've lost. You can't say that the RBs playing better in the 4th did more than the D. Our D had us hanging on in the game and carried us through. This game definitely went to the D.

I saw more positives out of the offense than I did the defense tonight. If not for the botched extra point, the game would have gone to overtime because the defense couldn't stop purdue on the last drive. Not saying the 2 picks weren't huge, but the defense has major issues. I think we have our hands full with Utah next week.
Image
duckgrad99
All Pac-12
Posts: 6086
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Defense win

Post by duckgrad99 »

Anyway, as long as we got a win under our belt, I don't need to argue about who did what. Time to enjoy the win and get ready for Utah!!!!
Image
hjpop
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Salem, OR

Re: Defense win

Post by hjpop »

duckgrad99 wrote:
hjpop wrote:The D had its blown coverage, missed tackles, too many tackles at the shoulders...but without Thurmond's pick-6 and Lewis' fumble return, we would've lost. You can't say that the RBs playing better in the 4th did more than the D. Our D had us hanging on in the game and carried us through. This game definitely went to the D.

I saw more positives out of the offense than I did the defense tonight. If not for the botched extra point, the game would have gone to overtime because the defense couldn't stop purdue on the last drive. Not saying the 2 picks weren't huge, but the defense has major issues. I think we have our hands full with Utah next week.
I definitely agree with the more positives...but the offense was horrible last week so, like the adage says, can't really go anywhere else but up. Great running in the open when we got the ball to Holland (and he catches it), Maehl is clutch and gold, LMJ/Barner/Crenshaw can stick it and run, Masoli can still scramble (still can't throw consistently). But without Thurmond and Lewis, we still lose. People badmouth the D and it's easy with the big plays but look at the numbers. They played well considering how crappy the O was first half. They played well without Ward and then Paysinger was hurt. That Purdue HB is a monster back and he'll cause plenty of problems for tOSU. I'm just saying give the D some credit. They earned it tonight!
User avatar
brich75
Senior
Posts: 4054
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Defense win

Post by brich75 »

its weird but i dont feel like we one. LMJ was much better than i thought he would be(except the fumble). We are lucky to have this win, maybe its what we needed.
Image
whosyourwally
Freshman
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Defense win

Post by whosyourwally »

its funny that this thread was listed right above the fire allioti thread. Amazing what one week can do. Hopefully next week its 'give him a contract extension!'
woundedknees
All-American
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Defense win

Post by woundedknees »

Utah beat SJSU 24-14... Hopefully the Ducks Gel in practice this week and take it to 'em.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Image
User avatar
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 pm
Location: Springfield, OR

Re: Defense win

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

I can't believe how poorly the D is tackling. I can take some misreads, mis coverages, those happen to everyone. I just can't believe how this players don't wrap up. As of right now, I'm very scared of Jahvid Best (as if I wasn't to begin with).
GO DUCKS!
User avatar
greenyellow
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39223
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: Defense win

Post by greenyellow »

The defenders kept trying to either strip the ball or just shoulder the players down, which don't work particularly well. If they had just tackled the ball carriers instead of trying to strip it everytime, they wouldn't have gotten several first downs and the D would have been off the field quicker.
Image
User avatar
dd10snoop28
All Pac-12
Posts: 5042
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 am
GM: New Jersey Nets GM
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Defense win

Post by dd10snoop28 »

The defense was average today.

Without those turnovers Purdue would drive down with ease it seemed.

Our MVP's on defense were:
Matthews and Thurmond.


I also really liked how Tukuafu played, he didn't get many tackles but he was around in every play and threw them off sometimes.


The arm tackling HAS TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
Image
User avatar
Phenom
All Pac-12
Posts: 9914
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Defense win

Post by Phenom »

The defense (and offense for that matter) was mediocre. We did limit their running game somewhat, but how the hell does every TE in the country have a career game against us? Why can't we tackle? Why are the cushions so big? We're playing chump receivers. Oh, and the pressure on the QB is pathetic. Our LBs don't know how to blitz. It's quite sad. They try to engage the O-linemen instead of going for the QB. We need last year's Willy T.

BTW, when do we get TJ Ward back? He wouldn't knocked their RB out.
Post Reply