Page 1 of 16

Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 am
by jimmy12
I am hearing Traeshon Holden is a LONG shot.

I know they like Bradyn Swinson from Georgia: https://247sports.com/player/bradyn-swinson-46059344/

Does anyone have an guesses?

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:57 am
by StevensTechU
Definitely expect Bradyn Swinson to commit. Myles Slusher is a risk to de-commit, with Nebraska being one of the major threats. If that happens, I expect either Bennett Williams to commit, or possibly someone we're not really talking about right now to come into the picture (think Jamal Hill's or DJ James' recruitment).

I have no idea what DT they're in the running for. If USC cans Helton and his staff, Jamar Sekona and Kobe Pepe might come back around. I love Salave'a as a coach, but his recruiting has left a lot to be desired.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:09 am
by GoDucksTroll
It's been slow going with us mostly full and the key prospects holding off, so I watched Bradyn Swinson's highlights. It took two minutes to see why the staff likes this kid: he's a violent pass rusher. I like him better than some of the other guys we have.

Out of the big fish, obviously Noah Sewell is top priority.

Get a DT/NT type.

Take your shots at Smalls, Flowe, Ringo when they're on campus and hope for a KT-like miracle.

If we're serious about two QBs, get CJ Stroud. I've been pounding that drum for a while.

Another skill player, like Elijhah Badger.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:17 am
by StevensTechU
Sewell is definitely ours to lose. If I was putting in a 'crystal ball' for Badger, I'd say ASU.

I love Swinson's size and athleticism, but he's so freaking slow off the snap. It reminds me a bit of Canton Kaumatule.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 pm
by thomas time
J hop has an update about Sewell moving up his timeline, but I don't have an account so I don't know when he might be announcing.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:10 pm
by Everythingsducky
StevensTechU wrote:. I love Salave'a as a coach, but his recruiting has left a lot to be desired.
So, what you are telling me, is that Ware-Hudson, Williams, and Dorlus, are poor recruits?

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:46 am
by jimmy12
I think it's high end, top rated recruits. To the D-line is so hard to predict. The Haloti's of the world are so few and far between.

The high end big boys usually are developed in skill and body, post high school. I've seen so many that were highly rated disappear and those that were 2-3 stars hit growth spurts and become dominant.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:07 am
by StevensTechU
Everythingsducky wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:. I love Salave'a as a coach, but his recruiting has left a lot to be desired.
So, what you are telling me, is that Ware-Hudson, Williams, and Dorlus, are poor recruits?
1) Dorlus and Williams were backup plans after missing on other guys

2) Salave'a wasn't their primary recruiter. Cort Dennison was the primary recruiter for Dorlus and Bobby Williams was for Kristian Williams. Though Joe is listed by 247 as the primary recruiter for Keyon, if memory serves, Keith Heyward actually had a connection with the family. Same goes for Kayvon.

3) Salave'a did get Austin Faoliu. None of the other contributors on the OL during his tenure (Scott, Cumberlander, Jelks, Baker) have been Joe recruits.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 am
by lukeyrid13
Joe did almost get us that 5 star DT who was from Louisiana fwiw.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 am
by Merganzer
thomas time wrote:J hop has an update about Sewell moving up his timeline, but I don't have an account so I don't know when he might be announcing.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 am
by GoDucksTroll
Big Joe couldn't close Ika, the high 4-star DT from Utah that went to LSU.

Apparently we're still trying for Notre Dame commit and 4-star LB Jordan Botelho, who is from St Louis HS in Honolulu: https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Botelho-46053425/

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm
by GrandpaDuck
Joe never has been a rainmaker. I don't believe he ever got a player above a 3 star at WSU. That's fine with me though. You already have 3 ace recruiters on the staff not counting the head coach, so you can afford to have some guys who coach people up.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 pm
by lukeyrid13
If we can just get Hercules Ma'tafa 2.0 I'll be happy :)

As for Sewell, he's visiting Georgia this week and will commit in December and enroll in January.

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 pm
by Merganzer
lukeyrid13 wrote:If we can just get Hercules Ma'tafa 2.0 I'll be happy :)

As for Sewell, he's visiting Georgia this week and will commit in December and enroll in January.
Go Notre Dame!

Re: Any guesses on the end of this class?

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:48 am
by Phenom
Joe is an interesting case. He struggles sometimes to get his guys as the primary but he's always great as a secondary recruiter. Both Kayvon and Penei mentioned him as reasons they came to Oregon. The DL class out West this year was extremely bare.