Re-Rating Oregon's '21 Commitments
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:26 am
I started following recruiting back in 2012, and started watching game film around 2014 as I became more interested in recruits. Specifically, I wanted to see if I could get better at predicting college success of quarterback recruits than sites like Rivals, Scout, 247Sports and ESPN, and to some degree, I think I eventually got there. But I'm going to open up by saying that you shouldn't really care about my opinion set forth here, because at the end of the day, I'm just a fan who occasionally talks to folks in the support staff (recruiting, GAs, etc.) at UofO.
So all that said, I wanted to take my stab at re-rating Oregon's recruits who have currently committed to see if their tape lines up with their ranking in my eyes. So here they are:
Troy Franklin (247 composite: .9836m STU: .95)
Simply put, Franklin has all of the tools. Fast, smooth, good hands. I have found that rating sites almost systematically overrate the impact WRs will have on the college game, and so my rating, while very high, is lower than 247.
Ty Thompson (247c: .9644, STU: .91)
Physical tools, physical tools, physical tools. Thompson's arm strength and mobility give him the ability to make every throw. But as fans, we know being big and strong isn't what makes a great college QB. I'm uncertain about how cerebral Thompson is, as his tape shows him making only a single read over and over again. I'm looking forward to seeing his senior tape, but for now I think he has tons of upside but isn't a slam dunk.
Bram Walden (247c: .9615, STU: .94)
While not all dominant offensive tackles are 6'6+, Bram is 6'3-6'4, which makes me think he may end up a guard. His athleticism is perfect for tackle, though, and at guard he's going to have pack on weight and become a bull. He's a great prospect, and if he were just a little taller, I'd have him as at least a .96.
Keith Brown (247c: .9542, STU: .85)
When I watch Keith's tape, I see Kiko Alonso athleticism without Kiko Alonso instincts. Keith should dominate at the Oregon 5A level, but was 2nd team all-state as a junior. We'll see how it goes in 2020, but from what I've seen, he might end up getting buried on the depth chart in college.
Jaylin Davies (247c: .9418, STU: .93)
Rock solid, and I am tempted to say Oregon's most important recruit. Davies doesn't have the high-end athleticism of some other prospects, but he's going to be as close to college-ready out of the gate as anyone due to his instincts and advanced knowledge of the game. Running step for step with the speed of Pac-12 WRs might be his biggest challenge.
Kyron Ware-Hudson (247c: .9410, STU: .90)
The delta between my rating and 247 again comes mostly as a result of recruiting sites consistently overrating wide receivers. I project Kyron as being a solid #2 or #3 receiver, and as such, don't know that .9410 is appropriate. Strong, physical receiver who runs very solid routes. Going to take a lot to pry the ball away from KWH.
Isaiah Brevard (247c: .9383, STU: .86)
As mentioned in another thread, Brevard is almost like an undersized tight end. His size is going to help him win jump balls, but his speed and athleticism leave something to be desired. I don't see Pca-12 CBs or safeties struggling to cover him, so hopefully he's comfortable going over the middle and using his big frame to shield defenders off the ball. My rating is based on not envisioning Brevard ever making an all-conference team.
Moliki Matavao (247c: .9345, STU: .88)
Man... All the size and athleticism you could ever want from a tight end. On the flip side, he might have the hands of Ryan Bay. I think he'll almost certainly play at Oregon, but his impact is going to depend on whether he continues to basket-catch balls or develops reliable hands to be a 3rd down target.
Seven McGee (247c: .9247, STU: .93)
The huge disclaimer is that nobody has seen Seven play football in a few years now. Who knows if he's getting bigger and stronger or slower and more out of shape. But basing entirely on his sophomore tape, Seven can do it all. If he can bulk up and get to 190-200 pounds, he could be an all-conference running back. If he stays slim, he could be a solid receiver (not quite the ceiling he'd have as a running back, but not bad). Best comp I can come up with half Byron Marshall, half DAT. His college success may depend simply on how the offense suits his skillset.
Jonah Miller (247c: .9046, STU: .88)
Jonah is a jumbo offensive guard, standing 6'7. I don't think he's fleet of foot enough to move out to tackle consistently, but he's a mauler who can lock up and push guys around.
Terrance Ferguson (247c: .9013, STU: .93)
While perhaps not quite possessing the receiver skills that Spencer Webb or Jake Breeland have, Ferguson isn't far off. I would actually put him right in line with pros Evan Baylis and Johnny Mundt, guys who can catch and block with equal skill. As a coach, I would take a Ferguson-type over and over again.
Jackson Light (247c: .8985, STU: .90)
At 6'2, Jackson isn't as big of a guy as most of the offensive linemen we've had recently. Less height means smaller frame. But that said, Jackson is quite athletic and seems to take the weight room very seriously, increasing the chances that he makes the most of whats' god-given. I think he'll make for a very good pulling center or guard.
Jadarrius Perkins (247c: .8789, STU: .85)
Jadarrius' highlights reveal a player who is still developing his football skills. He's often slow to react, reaches and grabs. His athletic profile is fantastic - long, strong, and fast. My hangup is that description also fits recent JUCO CB for the Ducks, Haki Woods. Perkins has the athleticism to be a star, but Rod Chance has his work cut out for him to get him there.
Terrell Tilmon (247c: .8668, STU: .86)
Tilmon is a bit of a tweener at 6'4, 200 pounds (listed at 210, but I don't buy it based on photos). Tweeners are the hardest to project. Will he beef up enough to play WDE without losing speed? Will he have to move into an OLB role, which requires much more analyzing and thinking? Terrodney Prevot, also from TX, comes to mind as a player in a similar situation.
Darren Barkins (247c: .8627, STU: .87)
6'1 with receiver skills, Barkins could play on either side of the ball. Barkins looks like he has all the athleticism necessary to play CB at the Pac-12 level, and seems heady on the field. That said, I would wager that it will take him a little bit of time to get to the level of a player like Davies. So I don't expect Barkins to contribute much early on, but I would bet we get 2 really solid years out of him before all is said and done.
Brandon Buckner (247c: .8547, STU: .88)
When I look at Buckner, I think 'What would I rate Michael Clay in hindsight' and start from there. A guy who might not have NFL measurables (unless he beefs up and becomes a nasty lineman), but is a very savvy player. I'd give Clay a .91, so hedging a little bit, I still think higher of Buckner than the recruiting sites.
Some up, some down. I feel differently from recruiting sites about some individuals, but not terribly different on the class as a whole.
So all that said, I wanted to take my stab at re-rating Oregon's recruits who have currently committed to see if their tape lines up with their ranking in my eyes. So here they are:
Troy Franklin (247 composite: .9836m STU: .95)
Simply put, Franklin has all of the tools. Fast, smooth, good hands. I have found that rating sites almost systematically overrate the impact WRs will have on the college game, and so my rating, while very high, is lower than 247.
Ty Thompson (247c: .9644, STU: .91)
Physical tools, physical tools, physical tools. Thompson's arm strength and mobility give him the ability to make every throw. But as fans, we know being big and strong isn't what makes a great college QB. I'm uncertain about how cerebral Thompson is, as his tape shows him making only a single read over and over again. I'm looking forward to seeing his senior tape, but for now I think he has tons of upside but isn't a slam dunk.
Bram Walden (247c: .9615, STU: .94)
While not all dominant offensive tackles are 6'6+, Bram is 6'3-6'4, which makes me think he may end up a guard. His athleticism is perfect for tackle, though, and at guard he's going to have pack on weight and become a bull. He's a great prospect, and if he were just a little taller, I'd have him as at least a .96.
Keith Brown (247c: .9542, STU: .85)
When I watch Keith's tape, I see Kiko Alonso athleticism without Kiko Alonso instincts. Keith should dominate at the Oregon 5A level, but was 2nd team all-state as a junior. We'll see how it goes in 2020, but from what I've seen, he might end up getting buried on the depth chart in college.
Jaylin Davies (247c: .9418, STU: .93)
Rock solid, and I am tempted to say Oregon's most important recruit. Davies doesn't have the high-end athleticism of some other prospects, but he's going to be as close to college-ready out of the gate as anyone due to his instincts and advanced knowledge of the game. Running step for step with the speed of Pac-12 WRs might be his biggest challenge.
Kyron Ware-Hudson (247c: .9410, STU: .90)
The delta between my rating and 247 again comes mostly as a result of recruiting sites consistently overrating wide receivers. I project Kyron as being a solid #2 or #3 receiver, and as such, don't know that .9410 is appropriate. Strong, physical receiver who runs very solid routes. Going to take a lot to pry the ball away from KWH.
Isaiah Brevard (247c: .9383, STU: .86)
As mentioned in another thread, Brevard is almost like an undersized tight end. His size is going to help him win jump balls, but his speed and athleticism leave something to be desired. I don't see Pca-12 CBs or safeties struggling to cover him, so hopefully he's comfortable going over the middle and using his big frame to shield defenders off the ball. My rating is based on not envisioning Brevard ever making an all-conference team.
Moliki Matavao (247c: .9345, STU: .88)
Man... All the size and athleticism you could ever want from a tight end. On the flip side, he might have the hands of Ryan Bay. I think he'll almost certainly play at Oregon, but his impact is going to depend on whether he continues to basket-catch balls or develops reliable hands to be a 3rd down target.
Seven McGee (247c: .9247, STU: .93)
The huge disclaimer is that nobody has seen Seven play football in a few years now. Who knows if he's getting bigger and stronger or slower and more out of shape. But basing entirely on his sophomore tape, Seven can do it all. If he can bulk up and get to 190-200 pounds, he could be an all-conference running back. If he stays slim, he could be a solid receiver (not quite the ceiling he'd have as a running back, but not bad). Best comp I can come up with half Byron Marshall, half DAT. His college success may depend simply on how the offense suits his skillset.
Jonah Miller (247c: .9046, STU: .88)
Jonah is a jumbo offensive guard, standing 6'7. I don't think he's fleet of foot enough to move out to tackle consistently, but he's a mauler who can lock up and push guys around.
Terrance Ferguson (247c: .9013, STU: .93)
While perhaps not quite possessing the receiver skills that Spencer Webb or Jake Breeland have, Ferguson isn't far off. I would actually put him right in line with pros Evan Baylis and Johnny Mundt, guys who can catch and block with equal skill. As a coach, I would take a Ferguson-type over and over again.
Jackson Light (247c: .8985, STU: .90)
At 6'2, Jackson isn't as big of a guy as most of the offensive linemen we've had recently. Less height means smaller frame. But that said, Jackson is quite athletic and seems to take the weight room very seriously, increasing the chances that he makes the most of whats' god-given. I think he'll make for a very good pulling center or guard.
Jadarrius Perkins (247c: .8789, STU: .85)
Jadarrius' highlights reveal a player who is still developing his football skills. He's often slow to react, reaches and grabs. His athletic profile is fantastic - long, strong, and fast. My hangup is that description also fits recent JUCO CB for the Ducks, Haki Woods. Perkins has the athleticism to be a star, but Rod Chance has his work cut out for him to get him there.
Terrell Tilmon (247c: .8668, STU: .86)
Tilmon is a bit of a tweener at 6'4, 200 pounds (listed at 210, but I don't buy it based on photos). Tweeners are the hardest to project. Will he beef up enough to play WDE without losing speed? Will he have to move into an OLB role, which requires much more analyzing and thinking? Terrodney Prevot, also from TX, comes to mind as a player in a similar situation.
Darren Barkins (247c: .8627, STU: .87)
6'1 with receiver skills, Barkins could play on either side of the ball. Barkins looks like he has all the athleticism necessary to play CB at the Pac-12 level, and seems heady on the field. That said, I would wager that it will take him a little bit of time to get to the level of a player like Davies. So I don't expect Barkins to contribute much early on, but I would bet we get 2 really solid years out of him before all is said and done.
Brandon Buckner (247c: .8547, STU: .88)
When I look at Buckner, I think 'What would I rate Michael Clay in hindsight' and start from there. A guy who might not have NFL measurables (unless he beefs up and becomes a nasty lineman), but is a very savvy player. I'd give Clay a .91, so hedging a little bit, I still think higher of Buckner than the recruiting sites.
Some up, some down. I feel differently from recruiting sites about some individuals, but not terribly different on the class as a whole.