Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12
Posts: 7990
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by karlhungis »

DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
User avatar
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit
Posts: 993
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by JIDuck97 »

karlhungis wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
The NCAA is an operation driven by cash flow. Teams more likely to be investigated include either fringe teams or lower earners.

Think of it like a police officer who decides to ticket or not based upon appearances and "ahem" measurables.
woundedknees
All-American
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by woundedknees »

JIDuck97 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
The NCAA is an operation driven by cash flow. Teams more likely to be investigated include either fringe teams or lower earners.

Think of it like a police officer who decides to ticket or not based upon appearances and "ahem" measurables.
Seems like Oregon qualified as one of those "fringe teams" for a while...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Image
User avatar
justducky0
Senior
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 pm
Location: The Real World

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by justducky0 »

Yah hate to break it to you all, but Oregon for sure has bag men. As does almost any top school.
I am honestly fine with it. It is what it is in big time college football. I would rather have a bag man, and compete for playoff spots than be Oregon State loololol
Image
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by Duck07 »

I can tell you that there weren't any bag men when I was in school. The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role which along with other small level booster actions is common everywhere.

The number of players/parents that go the shady route with a school directly isn't that common.
Image
karlhungis
All Pac-12
Posts: 7990
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by karlhungis »

Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
User avatar
Duck07
All-American
Posts: 17123
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
I was a roommate with multiple players. One of them was investigated twice by the NCAA. Once for his car and the other because he was recruited by USC during the Reggie Bush scandal. Bellotti just talked up a big role for certain guys but took on a different role once suited up.
Image
karlhungis
All Pac-12
Posts: 7990
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by karlhungis »

Duck07 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
I was a roommate with multiple players. One of them was investigated twice by the NCAA. Once for his car and the other because he was recruited by USC during the Reggie Bush scandal. Bellotti just talked up a big role for certain guys but took on a different role once suited up.
You mean he was promising guys a big role on the team? Star player, focus of the offense type of thing? I recently stopped drinking coffee, so I apologize for my brain being slow.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
User avatar
justducky0
Senior
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 pm
Location: The Real World

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by justducky0 »

karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
Duck07 wrote:The critique was that Bellotti would lie and embellish your role
Can you embellish on this? What was your role?
I was a roommate with multiple players. One of them was investigated twice by the NCAA. Once for his car and the other because he was recruited by USC during the Reggie Bush scandal. Bellotti just talked up a big role for certain guys but took on a different role once suited up.
You mean he was promising guys a big role on the team? Star player, focus of the offense type of thing? I recently stopped drinking coffee, so I apologize for my brain being slow.
Yes
Image
User avatar
justducky0
Senior
Posts: 2012
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 pm
Location: The Real World

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by justducky0 »

I am just saying my source was part of the recruiting team post Bellotti era.
Oregon is just as aggressive as the big boy programs.
Image
User avatar
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am

Re: Top Player in CA Commits to Clemson

Post by GoDucksTroll »

woundedknees wrote:
JIDuck97 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:
DuckDuckJuice wrote:I think it’s weird that the NCAA didnt investigate Clemson after the FBI wiretap caught one of the basketball coaches saying that both the football and basketball programs were paying players.
I think it's weird that almost nothing came from that investigation.
The NCAA is an operation driven by cash flow. Teams more likely to be investigated include either fringe teams or lower earners.

Think of it like a police officer who decides to ticket or not based upon appearances and "ahem" measurables.
Seems like Oregon qualified as one of those "fringe teams" for a while...
What got us on probation was that there was a paper trail. Chip didn't know how this stuff worked and used official school accounts to pay Willie Lyles for outdated information. If Lyles had gotten his cash in a paper bag we wouldn't have gotten any sanctions, but it was done with school accounts subject to records requests.
Post Reply